Re: Election crisis

  • jsa_american
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
      As much as I would like to believe that Kenya is not going to turn
      into Rwanda. The country is on the brink of doing just that. In Narok,
      Kikuyu businesses have been burned-Kenia traders and part of Mandeleo
      buildings. Kim's dishes was almost burned but police managed to chase
      off the arsonists. The market was torched to the ground. Kikuyu
      families in the area are sheltering at churches. There were dead
      bodies this morning in the majengo area of town. They had been hacked
      to death with machetes. The police told families in Majengo that they
      could not guarantee their safety and they should leave the area. Every
      family has a panga at the ready. A family friend almost had their
      house burned last night but they managed to scare off the arsonists.

      In Eldoret a church was just torched that was sheltering hundreds of
      people. 15-20 people were burned to death. There are similar scenes
      being played out all over the country.

      The country is going crazy, I never thought Kenya would ever be like
      this.

      --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, "amy_mwikali"
      <amy_mwikali@...> wrote:

      > we've been following it pretty closely as well. Its very sad. I keep
      > thinking how I told my classes just 3 weeks ago that I thought Kenya
      > was past this crap. My departmental chairman frequently serves as a
      > UN Observer for EA elections--I think he is there now and I'm looking
      > forward to hearing his views.
      >
      > I'm also torn b/c even as it becomes more apparent Kibaki's crew was
      > doing dodgy things (after all, nearly his entire cabinet were once Moi
      > cronies), I don't think Raila is all that blameless. He's been
      > instigating since before the election and playing the tribal card
      > heavily. Learned from Moi he did. and how can the MP for Kibera slum
      > drive a Hummer? whats with that?
      >
      > I don't think Kenya will do a Rwanda--too many ethnic groups and too
      > much sense. But it could get worse before it gets better.
      >
      > Looked up the PC website b/c I was wondering what PC is up to with
      > this stuff going on. Didn't find anything. Maybe one of the current
      > PCVs will log on and give us an update?
      >
      > Amy

    • mama_josh
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
        I talked to my friend in Nairobi yesterday and he said it is pretty
        bad. He can't leave his house or go to work. He reckons (and I
        agree) that it's going to get worse before it gets better.
        Peggy
      • Karen (Lutz) Shepherd
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
          Just read on a current PCVs blog that volunteers are in "lock down" at
          sites until at least January 5. I am trying to stay optimistic that
          things will get better (knowing they will need to get worse first). I
          have been reading about the church that was burnt down, as well as how
          one of the biggest issues is people being hungry since it is unsafe to
          get out to buy food. I have also read about Odinga's call for a rally
          on Thursday, which the government has outlawed.

          Hard times.....

          Karen

        • Carl Benander
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
            Dear Karen,
            Your last email showed you to be somewhat apprehensive about Kenya. Our group went there May 1998
            just after the so called ''Tribal Clashes'' ended. The next several years were relatively calm and while tribal bickering didn't stop, tribal killings were rare, and didn't particularly affect us (Mazungus). I really don't think that as Americans, we can fully understand the situation there until we lived there. So, while it is good for you to be aware of everything, perhaps you should not attempt to understand it, and you certainly should not let that awareness deteriorate into fear.
            Kenya is a beautiful country; and the people with whom I interacted for those years were for the most part gracious and friendly, making my stay a truly great experience.
            The fact that you are communicating with the group of RPCV's that were there is a very good thing in that you will be able to get firsthand information from those that know rather than from outside sources that have never been there.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
              Hi Carl,

              I agree completely with you that most Kenyans are peace loving
              people. I served there during the first multiparty election in the
              early 90's and the entire situation passed very peacefully. Peace
              Corps had us packed and ready to evacuate if necessary, but all went
              smoothly.

              My apprehension really does come from my knowledge that it is
              difficult to understand the issues involved and not knowing if this
              will continue to escalate or not. While the majority of Kenyan
              people would like to see this pass and for their country to remain
              stable, tribalism can be a very deep rooted issue. My hope is that in
              a few days time, things will calm down and resolve. There were tribal
              clashes while I served and they tended to be somewhat isolated
              events. The reports of how these clashes are spreading across the
              country and the shut down of the media, as well as the hurried
              swearing in of the president despite concerns of the election
              procedures is what has me wondering if this has the possibility of
              playing out differently this time.

              I have Kenyan friends in Nairobi that I have not heard from and I am
              fairly confident that they are okay, but perhaps it is my connection
              to people there that makes me feel a little apprehensive. I loved my
              time in Kenya and am just hoping that things will calm. I have
              posted my concerns here knowing that the people in this group do have
              knowledge of the situation, as well as friends (Kenyan and American)
              living over there. It is true that I can't understand the situation,
              I guess my posts were to seek information and share concerns with
              others who have a connection to this country.

              Karen

              --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, Carl Benander
              <cvmbenander@...> wrote:

              > Dear Karen,
              > Your last email showed you to be somewhat apprehensive about Kenya.
              Our group went there May 1998
              > just after the so called ''Tribal Clashes'' ended. The next several
              years were relatively calm and while tribal bickering didn't stop,
              tribal killings were rare, and didn't particularly affect us
              (Mazungus). I really don't think that as Americans, we can fully
              understand the situation there until we lived there. So, while it is
              good for you to be aware of everything, perhaps you should not
              attempt to understand it, and you certainly should not let that
              awareness deteriorate into fear.
              > Kenya is a beautiful country; and the people with whom I interacted
              for those years were for the most part gracious and friendly, making
              my stay a truly great experience.
              > The fact that you are communicating with the group of RPCV's that
              were there is a very good thing in that you will be able to get
              firsthand information from those that know rather than from outside
              sources that have never been there.

            • amy_mwikali
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                Carl and Karen,

                First: why shouldn't Karen try to understand? I actually have no
                idea who she is, although a frequent poster, but when ANY American
                tries to understand even a tiny piece of Africa, its a cause for minor
                celebration.

                One of my students last semester told me of a classmate (in a
                different class) who said "Africans just kill Africans. It's just
                what they do and frankly, I'm tired of hearing it." Unfortunately
                that is the view of many many Americans. Killing and riots are just
                the norm in Africa. What is so awful about the current situation is
                that in Kenya it is *not* the norm.

                Second: Many of us on here were there during the Tribal Clashes period
                which began in 1993 (after the '92 elections--Moi quote "If there is
                multi-party, there will be tribal clashes"). It tended to be very
                limited in scope--although Narok and the Trans-Mara area tended to be
                the central spot for this. One PCV in the group before me (I was
                93-95, stayed around until 97) was in thatregion and went around
                counting burned Kikuyu houses. Investigations since have put the
                blame firmly at the feet of Bw Moi and his buddies.

                The current situation appears to be much more widely spread, yet it
                is telling that so much of this is centered on Kibera and Mathare
                slums. People who are already desperate and angry. I'm a little more
                baffled, and very distressed, about the Eldoret incident. After all,
                Eldoret had its time in the sun during the (very long) Moi years,
                which were pretty sucky elsewhere. [after I wrote this but before I
                sent it, Darin called and told me he heard someone on NPR this morning
                (someone in Eldoret) suggest the Eldoret killings were over a land
                dispute. *that* makes total sense to me. It doesn't excuse it but it
                makes more sense.]

                I was in Rwanda for Christmas 1996 when the refugees were kicked out
                of TZ and Congo/Zaire. As others can probably corroborate--Rwandans
                are very different from Kenyans. I do not think it will hit Rwandan
                levels. First of all, Kenyans have enough initiative to get out of
                town when the killing starts. Second, there are plenty of Kenyans not
                interested in killing people, even irritating Kikuyu. Third, there
                are many many ethnicities in Kenya, not just Kikuyu and Luo. Not that
                some Kambas and Maasai would be just as happy for the Luo and Kikuyu
                to wipe each other out and give them some breathing room!

                And I want to again grouse about Raila and instigating. He needs to
                rein in his people or he is just being Moi II. And how can Kenya
                trust him as president if he's doing that?

                sorry this got so long. Next week I"ll be back on campus and will be
                able to talk this out with other people but until then, y'all are
                getting the brunt of it!

                Amy
              • osieko
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Carl-
                  Karen Lutz was a volunteer in Kenya when the FIRST multiparty
                  elections were held in 1992, and tribal clashes were still going on.
                  You should be careful who you try to lecture.

                  Dan Krause
                  RPCV Kenya 1992-94

                  <cvmbenander@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Karen,
                  > Your last email showed you to be somewhat apprehensive about Kenya.
                  Our group went there May 1998
                  > just after the so called ''Tribal Clashes'' ended. The next several
                  years were relatively calm and while tribal bickering didn't stop,
                  tribal killings were rare, and didn't particularly affect us
                  (Mazungus). I really don't think that as Americans, we can fully
                  understand the situation there until we lived there. So, while it is
                  good for you to be aware of everything, perhaps you should not
                  attempt to understand it, and you certainly should not let that
                  awareness deteriorate into fear.
                  > Kenya is a beautiful country; and the people with whom I interacted
                  for those years were for the most part gracious and friendly, making
                  my stay a truly great experience.
                  > The fact that you are communicating with the group of RPCV's that
                  were there is a very good thing in that you will be able to get
                  firsthand information from those that know rather than from outside
                  sources that have never been there.

                • Karen (Lutz) Shepherd
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Hi Dan! How are you?!!! How are your vegetarian kids? We are also
                    a vegetarian household......

                    Anyway, thanks for your post. I did not mean to do anything here
                    other than express my concern for a country and people that have had
                    a big impact on me. As Dan knows, we were both there during the
                    first multipary election and the situation played out very
                    differently than expected. I was based in Nairobi and worked with
                    people in the very slums that we are reading about in the news and
                    seeing the video clips of on the evening news. I can't understand
                    all the politics and issues involved (hey, I can't fully understand
                    all the election stuff going on here in the US!). My husband, who
                    was a VSO on the Kenya coast, and I are just concerned about people
                    we know and trying to better understand what is actually occuring
                    over there. Having been around when there were tribal clashes, I do
                    have a small understanding of how strong this tension can be.

                    My apologies again for setting anything off here.....When I saw
                    Jeff's original post about the elections, I responded because I, too,
                    was also watching (and praying for) this situation to resolve
                    peacefully.

                    Dan, hope you are well! I miss finding you hanging out with the
                    askari in Nairobi waiting for Jen and I to get home!

                    Peaceful thoughts to all,
                    Karen
                    --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, osieko <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Carl-
                    > Karen Lutz was a volunteer in Kenya when the FIRST multiparty
                    > elections were held in 1992, and tribal clashes were still going
                    on.
                    > You should be careful who you try to lecture.
                    >
                    > Dan Krause
                    > RPCV Kenya 1992-94
                    >
                    > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, Carl Benander
                    > <cvmbenander@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dear Karen,
                    > > Your last email showed you to be somewhat apprehensive about
                    Kenya.
                    > Our group went there May 1998
                    > > just after the so called ''Tribal Clashes'' ended. The next
                    several
                    > years were relatively calm and while tribal bickering didn't stop,
                    > tribal killings were rare, and didn't particularly affect us
                    > (Mazungus). I really don't think that as Americans, we can fully
                    > understand the situation there until we lived there. So, while it
                    is
                    > good for you to be aware of everything, perhaps you should not
                    > attempt to understand it, and you certainly should not let that
                    > awareness deteriorate into fear.
                    > > Kenya is a beautiful country; and the people with whom I
                    interacted
                    > for those years were for the most part gracious and friendly,
                    making
                    > my stay a truly great experience.
                    > > The fact that you are communicating with the group of RPCV's that
                    > were there is a very good thing in that you will be able to get
                    > firsthand information from those that know rather than from outside
                    > sources that have never been there.

                  • Carl Benander
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                      Pole, Karen sounded like a prospective volunteer; and it would be a shame for someone to be dissuaded from going when all has settled down.

                      <cvmbenander@ ...> wrote:

                      > Dear Karen,
                      > Your last email showed you to be somewhat apprehensive about Kenya.
                      Our group went there May 1998
                      > just after the so called ''Tribal Clashes'' ended. The next several
                      years were relatively calm and while tribal bickering didn't stop,
                      tribal killings were rare, and didn't particularly affect us
                      (Mazungus). I really don't think that as Americans, we can fully
                      understand the situation there until we lived there. So, while it is
                      good for you to be aware of everything, perhaps you should not
                      attempt to understand it, and you certainly should not let that
                      awareness deteriorate into fear.
                      > Kenya is a beautiful country; and the people with whom I interacted
                      for those years were for the most part gracious and friendly, making
                      my stay a truly great experience.
                      > The fact that you are communicating with the group of RPCV's that
                      were there is a very good thing in that you will be able to get
                      firsthand information from those that know rather than from outside
                      sources that have never been there.

                    • Carl Benander
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                        Dear Karen, Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you were a prospective PCV. But I think that you're right in assuming that it could play out in a vastly different manner this time. My wife, a Luo, is in contact with her family and has told me of Kikuyu's who are in the western provinces being beaten, burned, etc. and effectively ''ethnic cleansed'' out of there. Expectations were so high when Kibacki went in only to be dashed down later as reality hit. Now, they are high for Odinga. What will happen now? I would not want to predict. I hope for the best but fear the worst.

                        <cvmbenander@ ...> wrote:

                        > Dear Karen,
                        > Your last email showed you to be somewhat apprehensive about Kenya.
                        Our group went there May 1998
                        > just after the so called ''Tribal Clashes'' ended. The next several
                        years were relatively calm and while tribal bickering didn't stop,
                        tribal killings were rare, and didn't particularly affect us
                        (Mazungus). I really don't think that as Americans, we can fully
                        understand the situation there until we lived there. So, while it is
                        good for you to be aware of everything, perhaps you should not
                        attempt to understand it, and you certainly should not let that
                        awareness deteriorate into fear.
                        > Kenya is a beautiful country; and the people with whom I interacted
                        for those years were for the most part gracious and friendly, making
                        my stay a truly great experience.
                        > The fact that you are communicating with the group of RPCV's that
                        were there is a very good thing in that you will be able to get
                        firsthand information from those that know rather than from outside
                        sources that have never been there.

                      • Carl Benander
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                          Amy, That's good insight, and interesting to anyone who cares about what is happening. Moi did actually instigate the clashes and profited from them politically but only because the smouldering resentments were there in the first place.
                          Carl

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                            Hi Carl,

                            No apology needed. In rereading my earlier post, I can understand
                            how this may have come off. I hope that your wife's family is doing
                            okay.

                            I would never want to discourage anyone from volunteering or visiting
                            Kenya. It is a wonderful place with some of the kindest people I
                            have ever met. As you noted in an earlier post, PCV's and other
                            mzungus are probably not greatly effected. My concerns were more in
                            regard to Kenyan friends that I have in those areas. I know that
                            Peace Corps does put volunteer safety as a top priority and will take
                            appropriate measures if it becomes necessary. I recall while I was
                            in Nairobi when the volunteers from Rwanda were evacuated (in the
                            early 90's). They were first evacuated to Nairobi before accepting
                            other assignments or going home. All that I spoke to felt that they
                            were able to get out safely and in a timely manner. Hopefully this
                            will not be necessary for the volunteers currently in Kenya. I am
                            optimistic.....

                            Anyway, it will be interesting to see how things play out. I wish
                            your family in Kenya well and hope that there is resolution soon.

                            <cvmbenander@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Karen, Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you were a
                            prospective PCV. But I think that you're right in assuming that it
                            could play out in a vastly different manner this time. My wife, a
                            Luo, is in contact with her family and has told me of Kikuyu's who
                            are in the western provinces being beaten, burned, etc. and
                            effectively ''ethnic cleansed'' out of there. Expectations were so
                            high when Kibacki went in only to be dashed down later as reality
                            hit. Now, they are high for Odinga. What will happen now? I would not
                            want to predict. I hope for the best but fear the worst.
                            > Carl

                          • jsa_american
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                              The situation this time seems very different than previous tribal
                              clashes. Much of the resentment now is based on Kibaki's failure to
                              live up to the MOU that formed NARC in 2002. Raila basically stood
                              down for Kibaki to become president with the agreement that there
                              would be an equal power sharing between the requisite parties that
                              made up NARC. Also Kibaki had agreed that he would serve one term
                              only, ostensibly promising the presidency to Raila this time. There is
                              also the feeling of Luos that they have now been denied the presidency
                              twice. Raila's father was vice president under Kenyatta. He was denied
                              the presidency by Moi and his cronies.

                              Unfortunately, the MOU agreement was broken almost as soon as the
                              election ended. Kibaki packed his cabinet with the remnants of the
                              "kikuyu mafia" and Raila and the other parties got frozen out. Then in
                              2005, the NARC coalition was fatally split over the constitutional
                              referendum. With Raila successfully rallying opposition to the
                              changes. Kibaki basically fired everyone who opposed him on the
                              referendum. The perception then became that he was an isolated leader
                              who surrounded himself with kikuyu cronies.

                              Kibaki was seen as a man who while had done some good things for
                              Kenya, failed to honor some of his basic promises- ending corruption
                              being the main thing people mention. His entire cabinet seemed to be
                              made up of old Moi cronies.

                              Raila has been able to assemble a pretty wide array of allies. Who
                              would have ever thought Luo's and Maasais would be allies together?

                              The anger and violence is not so much a tribal issue- though there is
                              that component but a feeling of justice denied and festering anger of
                              being shut out Kenya's economic growth. Kikuyu's have always been seen
                              as the haves- regardless of their actual economic status. This has led
                              to a long term festering resentment. Which unfortunately has boiled
                              over into the mess we have now.

                              The absolute inept way this fraud of an election has been handled is
                              also fueling the hatred. People are really feeling cheated and they
                              are angry as hell. Unfortunately the people it is being taken out on
                              have nothing to do with the fraud.

                              From my communication with people in Kenya now this is only going to
                              get worse. Neither Raila nor Kibaki are backing down. Charges of
                              Genocide are being thrown around by both sides. The government is
                              saying they are going to take a hard line with the protesters
                              tomorrow, and Raila is insisting the rally will go on as planned.

                              If the rally ends in violence, this disaster will really spin out of
                              control and nobody will be able to stop the orgy of killing that will
                              follow. Already there are revenge killings starting in Nairobi with
                              gangs of Kikuyu hunting down Luo's and forcibly circumsizing them.

                              One of the things that I have heard today is that people are starting
                              to believe that Kibaki is not really in charge anymore. That it is
                              Michuki-the internal security minister that is really in charge.

                              There was a mention of people being smart enough to leave when the
                              killings start. That sounds great but right now there is nowhere to
                              go, and no way to get there. Fuel is gone, there is no transport
                              anyway and armed gangs are roaming the bush hacking people to death.

                              Anyway just some of my ramblings. Feel free to correct any mistakes.

                              Jeff

                              --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, "Karen (Lutz) Shepherd"
                              <karkarneenee@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Carl,
                              >
                              > No apology needed. In rereading my earlier post, I can understand
                              > how this may have come off. I hope that your wife's family is doing
                              > okay.
                              >
                              > I would never want to discourage anyone from volunteering or visiting
                              > Kenya. It is a wonderful place with some of the kindest people I
                              > have ever met. As you noted in an earlier post, PCV's and other
                              > mzungus are probably not greatly effected. My concerns were more in
                              > regard to Kenyan friends that I have in those areas. I know that
                              > Peace Corps does put volunteer safety as a top priority and will take
                              > appropriate measures if it becomes necessary. I recall while I was
                              > in Nairobi when the volunteers from Rwanda were evacuated (in the
                              > early 90's). They were first evacuated to Nairobi before accepting
                              > other assignments or going home. All that I spoke to felt that they
                              > were able to get out safely and in a timely manner. Hopefully this
                              > will not be necessary for the volunteers currently in Kenya. I am
                              > optimistic.....
                              >
                              > Anyway, it will be interesting to see how things play out. I wish
                              > your family in Kenya well and hope that there is resolution soon.
                              >
                              > Karen
                              > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, Carl Benander
                              > <cvmbenander@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Dear Karen, Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you were a
                              > prospective PCV. But I think that you're right in assuming that it
                              > could play out in a vastly different manner this time. My wife, a
                              > Luo, is in contact with her family and has told me of Kikuyu's who
                              > are in the western provinces being beaten, burned, etc. and
                              > effectively ''ethnic cleansed'' out of there. Expectations were so
                              > high when Kibacki went in only to be dashed down later as reality
                              > hit. Now, they are high for Odinga. What will happen now? I would not
                              > want to predict. I hope for the best but fear the worst.
                              > > Carl

                            • Jeremey M Neitzke
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                                The office here in Maputo has been closed since mid-day on Friday last week
                                (government work you know). Naturally when I came back to work today
                                (Wednesday), I greeted most everyone with a new year's greeting. In
                                Portuguese you say boas entradas, or roughly translated to its meaning, 'may
                                you have a great entry into the new year', or more simply put 'good
                                beginnings'. A simple and elegant sentiment that carries so much more
                                meaning than 'Happy New Year'. But when I greeted one of our staff
                                (greetings in Moz carry almost as much weight as they do in Kenya. But they
                                tend to be shorter by a stretch, you know what I mean.) who happens to be
                                Kenyan - a very patient man who puts up with my attempts to resurrect
                                KiSwahili after years of misuse and layers of several other competing
                                languages - our conversation naturally turned to what has been happening in
                                Kenya. His family lives near Nairobi and he is naturally worried for their
                                safety. I shared how troubled I was about what was happening back home (for
                                him, heck even in a way for me) and that I hoped things would normalize and
                                that the Kenya I knew would re-assert itself amidst the threat on the
                                horizon.

                                He smiled, laughed at me screwing up mwaka mpya muri (its been a few
                                years..), shook my hand, and said let's just hope that there will be boas
                                entradas in Kenya soon too.

                                Pretty much sums it up, if you ask me.

                                Jeremey

                                _____

                                avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com> : Inbound message clean.

                                Virus Database (VPS): 071231-0, 12/31/2007
                                Tested on: 1/1/2008 8:50:53 PM

                              • zanzibarparadise
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3, 2012
                                  Hello 1992 Kenya RPCV's,
                                  It was refreshing to read your comments reflecting back to time we spent together in Kenya, volunteering in our different sectors, determined to make a difference. During the "Election Crisis", we were all a bit uneasy, but we did endure!

                                  Looking back, I guess I fell in love with east Africa during those years and the years to follow. I retired and decided to come back and settle in Zanzibar, Tanz. However, being the "work-a-holic" that I am, retirement did not last very long. Karibu