Cool agr thing

  • marciugali
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Dear Food, Agriculture and Africa Colleagues:

      We currently have a variety of openings for FarmServe Africa for Soil
      Regeneration, Soil Fertility, Organic Agriculture Basics, and Related
      Topics.

      Your Soil Regeneration/Soil Enhancement/Organic Agriculture
      assignment would take you to Ghana, Guinea, Mali or Nigeria, West
      Africa, through the FarmServe Africa program. FarmServe Africa is a
      USAID Farmer-to-Farmer program led by OIC International. OIC
      International works primarily in Africa and has as its mission to
      help others help themselves through sustainable and practical
      training. Agriculture is just one of the many topics we are involved
      with.

      Assignments are 3 weeks in length (more if you have the time) and all
      expenses are paid except for your time. You would work to teach
      African farmers and farm educators about topics such as soil
      fertility enhancement, and how to build up soil to be resistant to
      erosion caused by heavy rains, and how to increase its water
      retention/usage efficiency during the brutal dry season. Your work
      would also give farmers options; give them a sense of control, to
      show them that they don't have to have a lot of land and a lot of
      pesticides to make a farm productive. Small-scale, organic can work;
      you will show them how.

      We are currently recruiting farmers, extension agents, researchers
      with skills in the following:

      Composting; how to turn a pile proactively, quickly and effectively
      Mulching for dry season and to decrease water usage/labor (mostly
      hand irrigated)
      Cover cropping
      Manure usage techniques
      Biopesticides and natural pest deterrents
      Beneficial insects
      Residue management (what to do with the field after harvest)
      Crop Rotation: the why's and how's
      Intercropping and its benefits
      Intensive gardening for weed control (ex. "Square Foot Gardening")
      French language is a huge plus for Mali and Guinea!

      All expenses paid except for your time.

      If you or someone you know is a soils person, or is practicing
      organic farming/market gardening, then please contact us. Even if
      you don't know anyone, you can help Africa by forwarding this message
      to those who might be interested. Tel. 215-842-0860. Email
      farmserve@....