Re: pesticides in your kids food

  • gilgil_girl
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 4, 2005

      It sounds like Atlanta is the racket.
      Local organic yummy Mapel View here is cheap. what did you buy,
      Horizon?

      - In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, shillingi_bob <no_reply@y...>

      <no_reply@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > good for you amy! yeah, in Wayne county where i work there is
      one
      > > farm...---
      > >

      > > In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, "amy_mwikali"
      > > <amy_mwikali@y...> wrote:
      > > > I'm trying to make sure that Iris gets mostly organic, easy
      when
      > > she's
      > > > just doing jarred baby food but harder when she's eating our
      > > food. I
      > > > finally have Darin only buying hormone/antibiotic free
      chicken,
      > > step
      > > > in the right direction. When it isn't Iris's food my concern
      is
      > > > mostly about buying local (learning from you Mel!)
      > > >
      > > > Speaking of local food: www.eatwellguide.org
      > > > you put in your zip code and a radius to search and it will
      list
      > > all
      > > > the farms, restaurants and markets selling animals products
      > > (meats,
      > > > dairy and eggs) that are sustainably raised, no hormones, etc.
      > > >
      > > > We're really lucky in Chapel Hill, the list is long. But I
      put
      > in
      > > my
      > > > hometown address in Ohio--well, there are 3 health food stores
      > in
      > > > Toledo, 20 miles away....
      > > >
      > > > Amy
    • gilgil_girl
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 4, 2005
        HI slyvie,
        the thing is they don't really know about bioaccumualtion yet. jsut
        like GMO's the long term effects are not known. a metabolite is a
        by product of a reaction/breakdown in the body. i don't know if we
        can assume they don't bioaccumulate...it wasn't a quantitative
        measure was it? i don't rememeber...it was just a presence/absence
        wasn't it? i think the pesticide, or byproducts of it's metabolism
        really are probably mostly expelled from the body. who knows.. but
        they are accumulating in our environment. most herbicides have a
        short half life , but pesticides do not. and we use too many..to
        much

        In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, kalisana2000 <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > Mel, I have a few questions about that article that I didn't
        > understand, since it's not about rocks or water. :-)
        >
        > I assume that a metabolite is some sort of bio-indicator of
        pesticides
        > in the body. Should I assume that pesticides do not bioaccumulate,
        > since (a) the metabolite is measured as waste and therefore
        expelled
        > and (b) none is measured as soon as the diet is changed to organic?
        > Does that mean that pesticides have a short residence time in the
        body?

        > Secondly, are the pesticides on food a function of not being able
        > wash them enough, or is there actual uptake?
        >
        > I liked the interactive page on organic farms by zip code. Its
        > interesting that most of the farms near us are on Vashon Island,
        which
        > is close as the crow flies but you have to take a ferry to get
        there.
        > There are a lot of organic farmers on Vashon. Unfortunately, the
        soil
        > there has high concentrations of arsenic and lead built up from
        wind
        > blown pollution from an old copper smelter, plus 50+ years of
        orchard
        > and strawberry farming (they used to use copper arsenate and lead
        > arsenate sprays before the invention of DDT ~ WWII). Not to say
        that
        > the food isn't good of course, but there haven't been a whole lot
        of
        > studies done on uptake. And as I said, it's close to my house, and
        I'm
        > eating the tomatoes out of our garden.
        >
        > Sylvia
        >

        > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, shillingi_bob
        <no_reply@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I bought organic milk today. It cost twice as much as the
        regular.
        > > What a racket...
        > >

        > > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, gilgil_girl
        <no_reply@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > good for you amy! yeah, in Wayne county where i work there is
        one
        > > > farm...---

      • kalisana2000
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 4, 2005
          Mel, I agree! copper arsenate and lead arsenate were used as
          pesticides before ddt and we still find them in the top 6 inches of
          the soil after 50 years, that would be the soil layer children play
          in...we all know what lead injestion does to children, and arsenic is
          a carcinogen. And then there's 30-40 years of ddt....the herbicide
          Roundup supposedly breaks down in 3 days, but one of the compounds is
          breaks down to is a nerve toxin to fish, and it gets washed into
          streams and rivers.

          We didn't join a csa program last year, but this year we will!

        • kalisana2000
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 4, 2005
            Are we having an organic African feast? sukuma, coconut rice, nice
            organic tuskers....

          • Jeremey M Neitzke
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 4, 2005
              Because as we all know, Tusker is clearly organic (you know, hops,
              barely, water, formaldehyde) :-)

            • gilgil_girl
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 4, 2005
                roundup contains that (what is it called?) that is toxic to fish
                and amphibians? shit i didn't know that. it is in all flea killer
                i know that. i can't believe it's still legal.
                did you know we banned DDT but Mexico and other countries didn't and
                we import food from them...yea

                wrote:
> [...]
                > > there.
                > > > There are a lot of organic farmers on Vashon. Unfortunately,
                the
                > > soil
                > > > there has high concentrations of arsenic and lead built up
                from
                > > wind
                > > > blown pollution from an old copper smelter, plus 50+ years of
                > > orchard
                > > > and strawberry farming (they used to use copper arsenate and
                lead
                > > > arsenate sprays before the invention of DDT ~ WWII). Not to
                say
                > > that
                > > > the food isn't good of course, but there haven't been a whole
                lot
                > > of
                > > > studies done on uptake. And as I said, it's close to my house,

              • mama_josh
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 4, 2005
                  We can't get Maple View here. Horizion milk is $5 a gallon and
                  considering that we got through about 3 gallons a week, it really
                  adds up.

                  Peggy
                  wrote:
                  > --
                  >
                  > It sounds like Atlanta is the racket.
                  > Local organic yummy Mapel View here is cheap. what did you buy,
                  > Horizon?
                  >

                  > - In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, shillingi_bob
                  <no_reply@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I bought organic milk today. It cost twice as much as the
                  > regular.
                  > > What a racket...
                  > >

                  > > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, gilgil_girl
                  > <no_reply@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > good for you amy! yeah, in Wayne county where i work there is
                  > one
                  > > > farm...---

                  > when
                  > > > she's
                  > > > food. I
                  > chicken,
                  > > > step
                  > is

                  > list
                  > > > all
                  > > > (meats,

                  > put
                  > > in
                  > > > my
                  > > in

                • marciugali
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 5, 2005
                    Sylvia,

                    Wait till we go to the cool store in Atlanta. We will be there all
                    day. I want you to maker Birayani while you pretend not to be drunk
                    to offend you neighbor. I want coconut beans too and nyama choma.

                    Peg what sizes are the boys? They have really cool sweater and if I
                    make it back the store I might get the boys a sweater.

                    L,
                    Marci

                    wrote:
                    > Are we having an organic African feast? sukuma, coconut rice, nice
                    > organic tuskers....
                    >
                    > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, gilgil_girl <no_reply@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > > --
                    > >
                    > > It sounds like Atlanta is the racket.
                    > > Local organic yummy Mapel View here is cheap. what did you buy,
                    > > Horizon?
                    > >

                    > > - In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, shillingi_bob
                    <no_reply@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > I bought organic milk today. It cost twice as much as the
                    > > regular.
                    > > > What a racket...
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, gilgil_girl
                    > > <no_reply@y...>
                    > > one

                    > > when
                    > > chicken,
                    > > is

                    > > list

                    > > put
                    > > > in
                    > > > in

                  • kalisana2000
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 5, 2005
                      Marci, are you back now? You know, I am arriving mid morning on Friday
                      after taking a redeye. So maybe you can pick me up on the way to the
                      Cool Store. Syl

                    • amy_mwikali
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 5, 2005
                        Even though we've banned DDT, as Sylvie said, there is a lot of it
                        still in the soil. DDE (what DDT breaks down to in the body) is
                        found in the breast milk of most American women.

                        The breast milk of native women in the artic circle is even worse--
                        it can be classifed as toxic waste b/c so many toxins fall out of
                        the air up there and accumulate in the fish, which they eat, etc.

                        The human fetus and breastfeeding babies are the top of the food
                        chain and I'm not sure its possible to make it a clean environment
                        for them. Iris is getting 35 years of DDE accumulation from me. I
                        guess it will be better if there is a second one.

                        wrote:
> [...]
                        yet.
                        > jsut
                        > > > like GMO's the long term effects are not known. a metabolite
                        is
                        > > > by product of a reaction/breakdown in the body. i don't know
                        if
                        > we
                        > > > can assume they don't bioaccumulate...it wasn't a quantitative
                        > > > measure was it? i don't rememeber...it was just a
                        > presence/absence
                        > > > wasn't it? i think the pesticide, or byproducts of it's
                        > metabolism
                        > > > really are probably mostly expelled from the body. who
                        knows..
                        > but
                        > > > they are accumulating in our environment. most herbicides
                        have
                        > > > short half life , but pesticides do not. and we use too

                      • marciugali
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 6, 2005
                          Sylv

                          I'm getting back Saturday night and I have not booked my ticket yet.
                          I'm currently in Bulgaria. I was going to ask Peg what would be a
                          good time to arrive.

                          Peg do you know when you are returning from DC?

                          Marci

                          wrote:
                          > Marci, are you back now? You know, I am arriving mid morning on
                          Friday
                          > after taking a redeye. So maybe you can pick me up on the way to the
                          > Cool Store. Syl
                          >
                          > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, marciugali <no_reply@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > > Sylvia,
                          > >
                          > > Wait till we go to the cool store in Atlanta. We will be there
                          all
                          > > day. I want you to maker Birayani while you pretend not to be
                          drunk
                          > > to offend you neighbor. I want coconut beans too and nyama choma.
                          > >
                          > > Peg what sizes are the boys? They have really cool sweater and
                          if I
                          > > make it back the store I might get the boys a sweater.
                          > >
                          > > L,
                          > > Marci
                          > >
                          > > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, kalisana2000
                          <no_reply@y...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > > Are we having an organic African feast? sukuma, coconut rice,
                          nice
                          > > > organic tuskers....
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, gilgil_girl
                          <no_reply@y...>

                          > > <no_reply@y...>

                          > > is

                          > > our
                          > > concern

                          > > etc.

                          But I
                          > > stores

                        • Jeremey M Neitzke
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 6, 2005
                            Y'all are depressing me with this DDT, DDE poisoned world stuff. Soooo,
                            I'm gonna go to Mauritius. Any takers to join me?

                          • kilifi1994
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 6, 2005
                              Can't make it there, Jeremy, do you know anyone in Grenada? Been
                              here for a month, and will be back and forth the rest of the year.
                              School Reconstruction. Any Takers?

                              Rob

                              --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, Jeremey M Neitzke