The electronics fiasco

  • Devon Murphy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2010
      I am bringing a small netbook (Asus EeePc) with me, but I'll be relying on internet cafe's or cell phone internet hookups to send messages.  To power the laptop, I have the Solaris 26W solar panels, and now I am looking for the cables to make sure that I can charge my batteries (AA, AAA and Laptop).  I spoke to a lady who volunteered in the Dominican Republic some years ago, and she said that the best way to charge electronics is to charge a car battery and then use an inverter to plug all your components into.  So now, I'm looking for the inverter and a charge controller so I don't fry the batteries.  The list goes on!

      I'm trying to apply the ultralight backing philosophy to this trip, but I'm having trouble doing so with all the small additions here and there.  Anyone else struggling with the "do I really need this?" vs. "I better have this because it's better safe than sorry" self-talk?  What are you bringing for books, teaching aids, etc? I'm trying to keep as much of the literature in e-book format as possible, and I am hoping banking on the training covering how to teach with limited resources.

      On another note, has anyone heard of backpack slashing? I've had a few people tell me about people walking up behind you outside airports and during travel, going surgical on your backpacks base and running off with whatever treasures fall out.  I've heard the same things can happen while your bags are being moved by baggage handlers from plane to plane.I haven't heard a lot about avoiding this, except to pack the expensive stuff with the carry ons and try to make your bag look less enticing (I've thought about wrapping mine in burlap for the trip).

      Take care,

      Devon

    • natalie.peters28
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2010
        A car battery...what an interesting idea! I'm getting overwhelmed trying to bring together rural and modern. On one hand I'd rather not worry about internet/phones/electronics and figure it out as I go, but on the other hand it seems that electronics may be important for our placement, especially as a secondary school teacher. I did recently purchase a cheap AA/AAA solar battery charger and rechargeable batteries, but I haven't thought about how to charge my laptop or cell phone. Do you all think it will be important to use these on a regular basis? I'd honestly prefer to be incommunicado and just be where I am in every way but I don't want to be irresponsible about it. Is anyone bringing a sleeping bag??