Computer??

  • Shannon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
      Is anyone planning on bringing their laptops or a netbook? I'm planning on bringing mine and I'm thinking about looking into getting a satellite internet hook-up before I go. What is anyone else doing? Also, I just joined Skype and I heard it's a great way to keep in touch with friends and family when you are overseas. Plus it's free!! :-)

      -Shannon
    • David Matusek
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
        Hi Shannon.    I have been in contact with a current volunteer in Uganda.  He recommended bringing a laptop and indicated that about 80% of the most recent trainees brought theirs.  He further indicated that internet access will be through your cellphone service for $45 monthly if you plan on getting a cellphone in Uganda.  The modem you'd need to purchase is $115.  Please note that the prices will probably be a little less for our group.
        I looked into satellite hookup when I accepted an invite for Azerbaijan last year.   I don't remember the exact cost but do remember it was very expensive and a connection couldn't be guaranteed.
        For those that do not wish to have internet access via cellphone, from my understanding, there are many internet cafes in the large cities/trading centers throughout Uganda.
        Hope this helps.
        Looking forward to meeting all of you.
        David

        Is anyone planning on bringing their laptops or a netbook? I'm planning on bringing mine and I'm thinking about looking into getting a satellite internet hook-up before I go. What is anyone else doing? Also, I just joined Skype and I heard it's a great way to keep in touch with friends and family when you are overseas. Plus it's free!! :-)

        -Shannon

      • Alyssa Conn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
          I'm going to bring my laptop. I don't think I'm going to go for the satellite internet. Skype is definitely a great way to chat with people, provided that your friends and family also have it. I think there's also an inexpensive function for making phone calls.

          Alyssa Conn
          aconn2@...