wierd

  • John -usa-
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005

       No posts since the groups creation? You better get on the stick or just dissolve the group!

      A Thousand Books
      a narrative

      Mission / Goals:

      The mission of A Thousand Books - a St. Louis, Missouri-based 501(c)(3) non-profit - is to collect and to distribute English language reading material to teachers outside of the United States to help them meet the goals of their particular projects.

      Objectives:

      To help those whose first language is not English to develop a well-rounded appreciation for, and understanding of, the English language.

      To help establish or develop English language libraries in communities that would otherwise not be able to afford them. To expose readers to the diversity of American literature, culture, and history.

      Programs:

      Sending appropriate English language reading materials to applicant teachers outside of the United States.

      Our current program sends English language reading materials to members of Peace Corps Volunteer Groups 19 & 20 in Romania.

      This program will proceed through 2007. Other parallel programs will be initiated as resources allow.

      Governance and Staff:

      A Thousand Books

      is governed by a volunteer board. The organization is staffed by unpaid volunteers. 100 percent of the organization’s budget is spent on the program.

      Service Delivery:

      Books are inspected, sorted, packed and sent by the most economical means possible to the beneficiaries.

      History:

      A Thousand Books

      was founded in 2004 following the serendipitous discovery on-line of pleas for books by volunteer Peace Corps teachers to meet the needs of their students and communities. After a series of e-mail exchanges, the founders of the organization decided this project would be a unique way to assist the volunteer teachers, who were already giving so much, to become even more successful in their endeavors.

      The organization has already shipped over 4000 pounds of books to the volunteers. They have been gratefully accepted by them, and they have requested further shipments.

      We heartily welcome community participation both in terms of the donation of quality books and most importantly the funds necessary to ship them.

      (Not affiliated with the U.S. Peace Corps. References available on request.)

        but I might be "Invisible"

    • D, man!
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2005
        John,

        I agree. I don't know what's up with no posts since the groups
        creation, either. I feel like there's a lot of apathy amongst PCVs,
        and I was glad to find this group, cause I've tried to do my bit to
        make useful info available, but don't know if it'll ever be used. I
        suspect that will be just as true here as it is for the peacecorps2
        yahoo group.

        Oh well, in the hopes that what I have to contribute will be used,
        I'm going to add a file to the collection here (I put it on
        peacecorps2 ages ago)

        Later,
        DR

        --- In peacecorps_improvement@yahoogroups.com, John -usa-
        <estielmo@y...> wrote:

        > No posts since the groups creation? You better get on the stick
        or just dissolve the group!

        > A Thousand Books
        > a narrative
        >

        > Mission / Goals:
        >
        > The mission of A Thousand Books - a St. Louis, Missouri-based 501
        (c)(3) non-profit - is to collect and to distribute English language
        reading material to teachers outside of the United States to help
        them meet the goals of their particular projects.

        > Objectives:
        >
        > To help those whose first language is not English to develop a
        well-rounded appreciation for, and understanding of, the English
        language.

        > To help establish or develop English language libraries in
        communities that would otherwise not be able to afford them. To
        expose readers to the diversity of American literature, culture, and
        history.

        > Programs:
        >
        > Sending appropriate English language reading materials to
        applicant teachers outside of the United States.

        > Our current program sends English language reading materials to
        members of Peace Corps Volunteer Groups 19 & 20 in Romania.

        > This program will proceed through 2007. Other parallel programs
        will be initiated as resources allow.

        > Governance and Staff:
        >
        > A Thousand Books is governed by a volunteer board. The
        organization is staffed by unpaid volunteers. 100 percent of the
        organization's budget is spent on the program.

        > Service Delivery:
        >
        > Books are inspected, sorted, packed and sent by the most
        economical means possible to the beneficiaries.

        > History:
        >
        > A Thousand Books was founded in 2004 following the serendipitous
        discovery on-line of pleas for books by volunteer Peace Corps
        teachers to meet the needs of their students and communities. After
        a series of e-mail exchanges, the founders of the organization
        decided this project would be a unique way to assist the volunteer
        teachers, who were already giving so much, to become even more
        successful in their endeavors.

        > The organization has already shipped over 4000 pounds of books to
        the volunteers. They have been gratefully accepted by them, and they
        have requested further shipments.

        > We heartily welcome community participation both in terms of the
        donation of quality books and most importantly the funds necessary
        to ship them.

        > (Not affiliated with the U.S. Peace Corps. References available on
        request.)

        > but I might be "Invisible"
        >

        > ---------------------------------
      • rpcv4change
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
          John,

          Who should get on the stick? The moderator, or everyone else?
          Remember what the group was formed for:

          "This group is intended to be a **networking** and **info storage
          place** for PCVs and RPCVs interested in improving US Peace Corps.

          This group was primarily founded on the belief that PCVs and RPCVs
          should work amongst themselves to improve things in Peace Corps,
          **rather than just complaining** about the shortcomings."

          As far as I'm concerned, if people have nothing to say that's fine.
          I've tried to spurn discussion, but I'm not going to spout off about
          problems that have existed for the past 40+ years, and I don't
          intend to.

          When you have useful stuff to add, why not put a file in the "files"
          section? I've put your posting in the files section,
          under "Literacy."

          Regards,

          Frank