Contact Improv Workshop, Saturday March 9th

  • christine maxwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2013
      Cyrus Khambatta is coming from Seattle to teach a CI workshop at Conduit.  All info below.
      You can sign up through Tere at Conduit or bring a cash or check to the Tuesday Jam.
      I highly recommend it!
      ~Christine

      FITTING IN: From Basics To Ballistics With No Effort
      Saturday March 9, 2013
      1:00-3:45 pm $35

      Simplicity produces surprise. Through Cyrus’ “Fitting Technique” we will work on being surprised in small, minute ways leading to complex, challenging and unusual lifts and partnering.

      Beginning with a deep-release warm-up we will initiate exploring the depth of “settling” and the energy/inspiration that can spring from the permission to let go of time. We will work by shifting between different perceptual/sensorial modes: the intimacy of the fitting of bodies and the sensing of each shift of the mountains and valleys (concave and convex) of our partners terrain. We will explore committing to the time signature of each sensation (corresponding to the nature of each “fit”) and how this can move us out of the floor, finding ledges and lifts with no effort at all. We will explore how to instantly mold ourselves to find our partners most absolute center, being able to use our partners center to support us in surprising ways. And lastly we will explore combining this use of center with timing, precision and momentum to let our bodies move faster and more integrated than our minds can devise the movement.

      Although this workshop will cover a number of basics following a simple intuitive process bringing surprises and ballistics it is not a basics workshop. Some experience is needed.

      Cyrus Khambatta graduated from New York University where he founded Khambatta Dance Company (originally: Phffft! Dance Company). He taught for over twenty five years and created and/or performed both improvised and Contact-inspired choreographed works presented throughout the US, Europe, as well as in Russia and Latin America by companies such as Ririe Woodbury Dance (Salt Lake City), Pisorojo (Caracas) Donald Byrd’s Spectrum Dance (Seattle), Evergreen Ballet, his own Khambatta Dance and others.

      His Contact Imrovisation-inspired work received California’s Daman New Choreography Award in 2003, and he was chosen for the National Dance Project’s Regional Dance Development Initiative in 2004. He has performed and/or taught with improvisers such as Nina Martin, Benno Voorham, Chris Aiken, Katie Duck, Karen Nelson and many others.