Best places for artists

  • cory huff
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hey everyone!

      I'm working on a project that includes finding the best places for artists to live across the country.  The idea is to find the places that have great arts communities that are affordable and fun to live in.

      So far I've come across a wealth of information and compiled it into a list of cities that have great artist live/work housing projects.

      I would appreciate help from all of you by getting some feedback from you.  What cities have you lived in and worked as artists?  Be it theatre, film, painting, sculpture, or any other medium:

      Why was that city good?

      What was the Arts community like there?

      Was there city/government backing for artist renovation projects?

      What was the housing situation like?

      Please visit my blog for the info that I've already accumulated and please feel free to leave some feedback!

      Cory Huff

    • unclepig12000
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
        Hello folks,

        This person posted on June 22nd as well, claiming to be moving here
        and interested in information about our fair city. Now it seems he
        wants information for a "project" about cities across the country.
        Obviously nothing heinous, but kinda slimy abuse of this board,
        don'tcha think? As a person who responded with a PM to the first post
        as a favor to a stranger, I intend to write him and insist that he not
        use what I sent for his blog - just on principle. Lesson learned here.

        best,
        Tim Hill

        --- In pdxbackstage@yahoogroups.com, cory huff <cory_huff@...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone!
        >
        > I'm working on a project that includes finding the best places for
        artists to live across the country. The idea is to find the places
        that have great arts communities that are affordable and fun to live in.

        > So far I've come across a wealth of information and compiled it into
        a list of cities that have great artist live/work housing projects.

        > I would appreciate help from all of you by getting some feedback
        from you. What cities have you lived in and worked as artists? Be it
        theatre, film, painting, sculpture, or any other medium:

        > Why was that city good?
        >
        > What was the Arts community like there?
        >
        > Was there city/government backing for artist renovation projects?
        >
        > What was the housing situation like?
        >
        > Please visit my blog for the info that I've already accumulated and
        please feel free to leave some feedback!

        > Cory Huff
        > 801-809-0237 cell
        > www.lifeartlovegod.blogspot.com
        > http://4hwwartists.ning.com/
        > www.linkedin.com/in/coryhuff
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
        surfing.

      • cory huff
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
          Someone brought to my attention that in light of my previous post asking for information on where to live in Portland, my most recent post about my artist housing project may seem a little bit weird or misleading.

          I just want to clarify that I AM moving to Portland this week.  My wife and I are leaving Utah on Tuesday to drive up and find a place to live.  I'll then be going to LA for five weeks for a directing job.  Our plan is to return to Portland and make a home there.

          The Artist Housing Project that I'm working on is something separate.  I am compiling that information because I thought it would be useful to have when I was trying to decide where I wanted to move to.  I thought that other artists might like to have it.  I've posted all of the info I have on artists housing projects across the country for free on my blog.  I hope the info is of use to the art community in general.  I'm trying to make friends before I get to Portland.  I hope that before anyone jumps to conclusions about my motives, they'll ask me first.

          Cory Huff

        • unclepig12000
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
            Cory,
            You absolutely have my apologies. I jumped at that conclusion because
            you didn't reference your prior post. My bad. I will say, though that
            if you'd taken a second to jot a response to my PM suggesting cool
            neighborhoods and affordable housing, I would have known you were for
            real and weren't just using this board for researching your blog.

            Again, I'm sorry. Welcome to Portland! Drinks are on me!

            Sincerely,
            Tim Hill

            --- In pdxbackstage@yahoogroups.com, cory huff <cory_huff@...> wrote:

            > Someone brought to my attention that in light of my previous post
            asking for information on where to live in Portland, my most recent
            post about my artist housing project may seem a little bit weird or
            misleading.

            > I just want to clarify that I AM moving to Portland this week. My
            wife and I are leaving Utah on Tuesday to drive up and find a place to
            live. I'll then be going to LA for five weeks for a directing job.
            Our plan is to return to Portland and make a home there.

            > The Artist Housing Project that I'm working on is something
            separate. I am compiling that information because I thought it would
            be useful to have when I was trying to decide where I wanted to move
            to. I thought that other artists might like to have it. I've posted
            all of the info I have on artists housing projects across the country
            for free on my blog. I hope the info is of use to the art community
            in general. I'm trying to make friends before I get to Portland. I
            hope that before anyone jumps to conclusions about my motives, they'll
            ask me first.

            > Cory Huff
            > 801-809-0237 cell
            > www.lifeartlovegod.blogspot.com
            > http://4hwwartists.ning.com/
            > www.linkedin.com/in/coryhuff
            >

            > ---------------------------------

          • mary mcdonald-lewis
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
              I think you'll find this an open and inclusive city for you and your
              wife, Cory. Welcome! I too sent you some suggestions when you first
              posted in late June, along with links to theatres I'm involved with.
              Did you get the note?

              Tim, I believe you owe me a drink, too, and if you just give me a
              moment I'll recall why.

              Best of luck,

              MaryMac

              On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:37 AM, unclepig12000 wrote:

              > Cory,
              > You absolutely have my apologies. I jumped at that conclusion because
              > you didn't reference your prior post. My bad. I will say, though that
              > if you'd taken a second to jot a response to my PM suggesting cool
              > neighborhoods and affordable housing, I would have known you were for
              > real and weren't just using this board for researching your blog.
              >
              > Again, I'm sorry. Welcome to Portland! Drinks are on me!
              >
              > Sincerely,
              > Tim Hill
              >
              > --- In pdxbackstage@yahoogroups.com, cory huff <cory_huff@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Someone brought to my attention that in light of my previous post
              > asking for information on where to live in Portland, my most recent
              > post about my artist housing project may seem a little bit weird or
              > misleading.
              >>
              >> I just want to clarify that I AM moving to Portland this week. My
              > wife and I are leaving Utah on Tuesday to drive up and find a place to
              > live. I'll then be going to LA for five weeks for a directing job.
              > Our plan is to return to Portland and make a home there.
              >>
              >> The Artist Housing Project that I'm working on is something
              > separate. I am compiling that information because I thought it would
              > be useful to have when I was trying to decide where I wanted to move
              > to. I thought that other artists might like to have it. I've posted
              > all of the info I have on artists housing projects across the country
              > for free on my blog. I hope the info is of use to the art community
              > in general. I'm trying to make friends before I get to Portland. I
              > hope that before anyone jumps to conclusions about my motives, they'll
              > ask me first.
              >>

              >> Cory Huff
              >> 801-809-0237 cell
              >> www.lifeartlovegod.blogspot.com
              >> http://4hwwartists.ning.com/
              >> www.linkedin.com/in/coryhuff
              >>

              >> ---------------------------------
              >> We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love
              >> (and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list.
              >>

              > ****PLEASE NOTE:
              > Hitting your "reply" button will send a reply to the sender only.
              > If you wish your response to be seen by the group-at-large,
              > please click "reply-to-all" *******
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • unclepig12000
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
                Mary,
                If you say I owe you a drink, I probably do! By the time we remember
                why, we'll both probably be imbibing intravenously. Better hurry -
                Destino calls.
                th

                --- In pdxbackstage@yahoogroups.com, mary mcdonald-lewis <mary@...> wrote:

                > I think you'll find this an open and inclusive city for you and your
                > wife, Cory. Welcome! I too sent you some suggestions when you first
                > posted in late June, along with links to theatres I'm involved with.
                > Did you get the note?
                >
                > Tim, I believe you owe me a drink, too, and if you just give me a
                > moment I'll recall why.
                >
                > Best of luck,
                >
                > MaryMac
                >

                > On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:37 AM, unclepig12000 wrote:
                >
                > > Cory,
                > > You absolutely have my apologies. I jumped at that conclusion because
                > > you didn't reference your prior post. My bad. I will say, though that
                > > if you'd taken a second to jot a response to my PM suggesting cool
                > > neighborhoods and affordable housing, I would have known you were for
                > > real and weren't just using this board for researching your blog.
                > >
                > > Again, I'm sorry. Welcome to Portland! Drinks are on me!
                > >
                > > Sincerely,
                > > Tim Hill
                > >
                > > --- In pdxbackstage@yahoogroups.com, cory huff <cory_huff@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Someone brought to my attention that in light of my previous post
                > > asking for information on where to live in Portland, my most recent
                > > post about my artist housing project may seem a little bit weird or
                > > misleading.
                > >>
                > >> I just want to clarify that I AM moving to Portland this week. My
                > > wife and I are leaving Utah on Tuesday to drive up and find a place to
                > > live. I'll then be going to LA for five weeks for a directing job.
                > > Our plan is to return to Portland and make a home there.
                > >>
                > >> The Artist Housing Project that I'm working on is something
                > > separate. I am compiling that information because I thought it would
                > > be useful to have when I was trying to decide where I wanted to move
                > > to. I thought that other artists might like to have it. I've posted
                > > all of the info I have on artists housing projects across the country
                > > for free on my blog. I hope the info is of use to the art community
                > > in general. I'm trying to make friends before I get to Portland. I
                > > hope that before anyone jumps to conclusions about my motives, they'll
                > > ask me first.
                > >>

                > >> Cory Huff
                > >> 801-809-0237 cell
                > >> www.lifeartlovegod.blogspot.com
                > >> http://4hwwartists.ning.com/
                > >> www.linkedin.com/in/coryhuff
                > >>

                > >> ---------------------------------
                > >> We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love
                > >> (and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list.
                > >>

                > > ****PLEASE NOTE:
                > > Hitting your "reply" button will send a reply to the sender only.
                > > If you wish your response to be seen by the group-at-large,
                > > please click "reply-to-all" *******
                > >
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Chrisse Roccaro
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007

                  Tim,
                  I should let you know that I never let Mary Mac drink without me (after the 3rd belt she can be talked into picking up the check), so just say where and when!
                  ChriSSe RoCCaRo
                  www.roccaro.info

                  The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
                  Maureen Dowd
                • mary mcdonald-lewis

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
                      You do know that "Destino" is the license plate of my Vespa, no?
                      Clearly a glass of grape is called for. It is Kismet.

                      MM

                    • Chrisse Roccaro