Firecrackers don't do it for you?

  • cynkirk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      Try Chamber Music Northwest, where the fireworks are musical in nature and picnic opportunities abound. We have comp tickets available for the Monday, July 4 concert at Kaul Auditorium/Reed, SE 28th + Woodstock.  Send me an email by 1 PM, Monday if you'd like tix.  If you haven't done so before, please include your home address.  The concert starts at 8 PM.  Your tix will be at will call and should be picked up by 7:40.

      If you work inside an organization, please forward this to your staff.

      Here's the program:

      Mozart, Quintet in E-Flat Major for Horn, Violin, Two Violas and Cello, K. 407 (1782): Purvis, Arm, Phelps, Neubauer, Thomas

      Written with saucy humor for Mozart’s good friend, lapsed horn player Ignaz Leutgeb. A miniature concerto with technical demands; includes “a little love duet between horn and violin” (Alfred Einstein)

      Dohnányi, Serenade in C Major for Violin, Viola and Cello, Op. 10 (1902): Oliveira, Neubauer, Sherry

      From the greatest 20th century exponent of Hungarian music, a folkish sense of melody…harmonic sophistication…flight of melody…nimble, feather-weight counterpoint

      Tchaikovsky, Souvenir de Florence, Sextet for Strings, Op. 70 (1890): Oliveira, A. Kavafian, Neubauer, Phelps, Thomas, Sherry

      Tchaikovsky considered this a true sextet for “six independent voices.” Atypically for him, it is “suffused with calm geniality” (Lawrence and Elizabeth Hanson)… rich sonorities…a bustling waltz…fluttering rhythms…bounding Cossack dance.

      Artists: Vladimir Feltsman, piano; Elmar Oliveira, Ani Kavafian, Theodore Arm, violins; Paul Neubauer, Cynthia Phelps, violas; Fred Sherry, Ronald Thomas, cellos; William Purvis, horn; Mary Nessinger, mezzo-soprano

      Happy Holiday,

      Cynthia Kirk
      Arts Publicist
      representing