Free Introductory Workshop: "Saying Yes! Body-Centered Improvisation. . ."

  • Sharon McAllister
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi everyone,
      I'm forwarding this from Carlton Grew. We've been working together for the past two years - so I get quoted, below. Come work with us this Wednesday night!

      Sharon

      Carlton's message:

      Hi folks. Time for a Free Introductory Workshop: "Saying Yes! Body-Centered Improvisation for Life and Art," to be held Wednesday, January 30, 7:30 to 9:30 pm at Somaspace, 4050 NE Broadway Street, Portland.

      Please come and check it out, and send a friend. I've been doing this work for more than 15 years and I am still having So Much Fun. And now I get to share and help keep it alive it by teaching it . I get reviews:

      "It was AMAZING! It was very interesting for me. Like dance for the mind."–Sarah Saito. "There are some folks that have been doing this work for 15 years . . . And they take such good care of us newbies. It is an honor to be able to play with them! And it's awesome fun!" –Kirsten Olsen. "Carlton's a great teacher. He makes it accessible for newcomers while committing to creating a work of art by the end of each class." –Sharon McAllister

      For more information, contact Carlton at riffline@..., 503.730.9954.

      Here's a description of our form of improvisation, although it is hard to put in words:

      This workshop taught by Carlton Grew is based on Scott Kelman's form of body-centered improvisation. Kelman practiced and taught alternative theater and improvisation for over 50 years, a celebrated director in LA who taught in Portland from the 1990's until 2007. He created a body-centered form of improvisation and presence in which participants explore with abandon within defined constraints.

      This form consists of structured exercises and play using mindfulness, observation, physical precision, discovered physical impulses, vocalization, speech, and empathy and engagement with others. The result is to fully experience and inhabit every moment and express the creativity generated by those moments, alone or in ensemble. Kelman's work cultivates fresh, deep creativity and authenticity.

      The work can be a creative adventure, spiritual exploration, a magical fusing of an ensemble, or simply a collection of fully lived moments. It is also Big Fun.

      Whether you are a daydreamer, writer, singer, dancer, or simply a curious person seeking to live more fully, Kelman's work will enhance your creativity and enrich your experiences.
    • Sharon McAllister
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2013
        Hi everyone,
        I'm forwarding this message from Carlton Grew. He's offering another free intro tomorrow night, Weds, June 12, from 7:30 - 9:30. No experience necessary. Come play with us!

        Carlton's message:

        Hi folks. Time for a Free Introductory Workshop: "Saying Yes! Body-Centered
        Improvisation for Life and Art," to be held Wednesday, June 12, 7:30 to 9:30