Re: [pdxbackstage] Shakespeare Jokes, Please.

  • TobiasAnd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2010
      I haven't read all the emails so I don't know if this classic story has been told or not...(probably not since it's not really family friendly...but here goes):

      Legend tells us that a woman fell in love with Burbage when she saw him play Richard III and begged him to come to her chambers that night under the name of King Richard. But Shakespeare overheard the proposition and, as a joke, left the theatre early to take Burbage's place. Shakespeare was 'at his game ere Burbage came. Then, message being brought that Richard III was at the door, Shakespeare caused return to be made that "William the Conqueror" was before Richard III"

      Another story that I like comes from William Redfield's "Letters From An Actor"---(
      a great read and whoever it was that borrowed my copy, I sure wish you would return it).

      (
      Paraphrasing)
      Shakespeare and Burbage were drinking in their favorite tavern.  Burbage was quite soused and said,
      "All right, Will. I played your damn fey prince for ya.  I can play any damn thing you can write."
      Whereupon Shakespeare went home and wrote Othello.

      Tobias

    • Robert Projansky