Re: [pdxbackstage] Theatre started in church, right?

  • mary mcdonald-lewis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
      Yep, that's going to be part of BRO's campaign, and for which they need
      volunteers!

      MM

      PS Fahrenheit 9/11 rocks.

      On Wednesday, June 30, 2004, at 11:57 PM, James3322@... wrote:

      > It will all depend on getting out the vote.  The same will be true for
      > Kerry.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Service.

    • Temp Theatre
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
        I know i shouldn't bother but i'm such a nerd. Theatre didn't start in the Christian church. Just ask the classic greek theatre people. And theatre actually dates back prior to the ancient greeks.

        So if you mean church as in religious ceremonies or rituals than perhaps the statement is accurate but I am not aware of those peoples ban on same sex or sam sex marriage.

        So go fight for your rights but don't be like George and get the facts confused or link two things that aren't linked.

        And don't be like me a poor speller and lazy grammarian.

        rp

         unrelated I doubt Ithica Tell knows how to create a virus.

        mary mcdonald-lewis <mary@...> wrote:
        Theatre began in the church.

        Marriages take place in churches.

        Some churches are for Sam Sex marriages.

        Some are against it.

        Those who are against it, along with many others, helped to turn in over
        240,000 signatures today for their �defense of marriage� initiative
        which is more than enough to qualify for the November ballot. Slightly
        more than 100,000 were required to be put on the November ballot.

        It's a thin thread I'm weaving between this list and that issue, but
        I'll take the drubbing from Harold if need be... I want you all to know
        about an opportunity to help, if you believe, as I do, that all of us
        should be able to marry whom we love, and have access to the over 1,500
        rights denied non-married partners.

        I have officiated at the marriages of over 2 dozen Same-Sex couples
        since the marriage certificates were allowed, most of them on the
        courthouse stairs, some in more formal settings, and all of them a
        donated service, my small contribution to the cause. If you want to
        pitch in, here's the info from Basic Rights Oregon on the upcoming
        campaign. For myself, I am joining their Speakers' Bureau as a
        clergywoman, addressing the issue from a spiritual perspective and
        speaking where'ere they ship me, along with other activities. What do
        do something? Here's how.

        And now, Harold, I shall speak no more on the topic.

        From Basic Rights Oregon:
        We are still taking a pool of volunteers to Salem tomorrow to oversee
        the verification process. We are now transitioning into campaign mode
        and our first major volunteer opportunity will be 3 nights of
        phonebanking next week. These calls will be central in mobilizing folks
        to move our campaign forward. We will be phoning on Tuesday July 6, Wed
        July 7, and Thurs July 8 from 6 pm to 9 pm each night. If you can help
        out call me at 503-222-6151 or email alissa@... to sign up.

        MM

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Tamara Carroll
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
          very true, though i believe the theatre revival in the
          middle ages did start with the church, pastoral plays
          and morality plays and the like. i believe....

          --- Temp Theatre <temptheatreproductions@...>

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • mary mcdonald-lewis
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
            Yeah, I was referring to European theatre and the morality plays,
            waaaaaaay post Etruscan/Greek/folks in blue paint in caves theatre.*

            So, no, I don't mean religious ceremonies, I meant Western European
            theatrical roots, and even then I meant it with a *wink,* so Harold
            wouldn't scold me too much for speaking to my friends here about the
            sam, or same, sex marriage issue. ;- >!

            And, I'm not fighting for my rights. First and foremost, they are *our*
            rights, all of ours, just as fighting for the rights of folks of color
            to vote isn't fighting for *their* rights, but *ours.* It's the "you"
            vs. "me" deal that got us into this fix in the first place.

            As well, I can already marry any old Sam I wish, as I'm one of those
            folks not banned from marriage. Still, it's as much my struggle as
            anyone who is.

            Finally--don't be like George? Ooooooh, you don't know how wide the gap
            is between me and King G. Not a clue, though my entire position should
            have been a fairly strong hint from the get-go.

            MM

            *Warning: irony in use. Sense of humor required.