Vaudeville in Portland

  • Cynthia Kirk
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
      is the focus of the Sunday, October 7 Forum following the 2 PM matinee
      of Gypsy. The informal discussion, open to any and all interested
      members of the matinee audience at no charge, takes place in the 3rd
      floor gallery immediately following the final curtain. Details follow:

      The Vaudeville Scene in Portland
      Speakers:
      Laura Parker, granddaughter of J.J. Parker, owner of several vaudeville
      theaters in Portland. Ms. Parker will screen excerpts of her video
      documentary on her grandfather's theaters
      Ed Siebert, co-founder of the Oregon Senior Theatre (now NW Theatre
      Senior THeatre). Mr. Siebert, attired in the garish costume typical of
      burlesque, will regale us with vaudeville and burlesque humor,
      Allen Johannesen, NW Director, Theatre Historical Society of America.
      Mr. Johannesen will briefly survey the history of vaudeville in
      Portland.
      Date: Sunday, October 7
      Time: 4:45 - 5:30
      Location: Third floor gallery, Newmark Theatre, 1111 SW Broadway at
      Main.
      Format: Informal presentations, accompanied by visuals, followed by
      lively Q&A with the audience.

      The Oregonian calls Gypsy, "lively and gorgeously sung...crisp and
      energetic...spectacular entertainment." Tickets may be obtained by
      calling: 503-274-6588.

      Cynthia Kirk
      Press Representative
      Portland Center Stage
      503-274-6581, ph
      503-796-6509, fx
      cynthiaK@...

      Gypsy!...the absolutely fabulous American musical with Momma Rose, the
      pushiest, funniest broad ever to haunt the vaudeville circuit, at its
      heart and center. September 25 - October 21 at the Newmark Theatre.
      Tickets: 503-274-6588; info: www.pcs.org.
    • Big Belly Productions
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
        Hey all,

        Just a reminder that Big Belly's first run at the
        Russell Street opens this weekend.

        3+3+3 features three of Portland's best improvisers
        in a three-act improvised comedy based on three
        audience suggestions.

        The Russell Street is smaller than our usual venue, so
        I recommend making reservations.

        Should be lots-o-fun!

        Details:
        Fridays & Saturdays
        October 5th,6th,12th, 13th
        10:30pm
        $10.00 ($2.00 off with a copy of this email)
        Russell Street Theatre
        116 Russell Street
        Free street parking and in the library lot across the
        street.
        Reservations: 503-233-5798 or reply to this email.

        Hope to see you there!

        http://phone.yahoo.com
      • Big Belly Productions

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
            i always seem to be asking this, but who are the three best improvisors featured in this activity.
          • Cynthia Kirk
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
              Your message baffles me. I really have no idea what you're asking;
              please clarify. Thank you, Cynthia Kirk, Press Rep, Portland Center
              Stage, 503-274-6581

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
                Hi All,

                Since it was asked, I will gladly give you the details
                about the improvisers in Big Belly's 3+3+3.

                But before I do, I just want to clarify that I didn't
                say - "THE best of Portland" but "OF the best in
                Portland." We are lucky to have a growing community
                of talented improvisers in our town. I know of several
                great ones who won't be in this particular show and I
                am sure there are many more I have yet to see. I do
                know that the ones in this show are among the best I
                have seen anywhere.

                Big Belly's 3+3+3 will feature a different mix of
                three improvisers for each show drawn from a cast
                including Phil Incorvia, John Breen, Brad Fortier,
                Nate Halloran, and Stacey Hallal.

                Phil Incorvia has been performing improvisation for
                over 15 years with an emphasis on long-form
                improvisation. He has been teaching and directing for
                almost as long. Phil was the Artistic Director of True
                North Improvisational Theater Co. in Minneapolis
                before moving to Portland to join the Brody Theater
                mainstage. In Portland, as a member of the Brody
                Theater, Phil performed, taught, and directed for over
                two years.

                Phil has been trained by Second City alumni and last
                year sat in on an improv set on the Second City
                mainstage. Currently, Phil is the Artistic Director of
                Big Belly. He is in the process of directing the first
                Big Belly sketch show which will open at the Russell
                Street in January and will direct the improvised
                Hollywood Theatre shows in November and December.

                John Breen has been improvising for god-knows how
                long. John can be seen most often at ComedySportz
                where he performs and teaches in addition to directing
                the CSZ long-form troupe Your Other Left. He has been
                in several other shows around Portland including
                Sitcom. In New York, John was a member of the
                three-person improv group, Big Wheel, and also made
                several appearances on Late Night with Conan O'Brien
                and Upright Citizen's Brigade. John is also a member
                of the Big Belly sketch show cast.

                Brad Fortier and Nate Halloran light up the stage
                whenever they grace it with their presence
                (dramatically put, but true). Brad worked on the Brody
                mainstage for five years as a performer, director and
                teacher. Brad directed the improvised musical, The
                Bard, and the improvised soap opera, Generic Hospital.
                He will be directing the next show at the Brody this
                fall and a late-night improvised "Space Saga" for Big
                Belly in the spring. Brad also received rave reviews
                for his performance in The Glowing Pumpkin Incident.

                Nate Halloran has also performed and taught at the
                Brody Theater. His performance resume goes way back
                and includes scripted work as well as improvisation.
                Nate leant his talents to the PSU production of
                Playboys of the Wild West. Nate is also at student at
                PSU where he studies linguistics on and off the stage.

                Stacey Hallal is the Executive Producer of Big Belly
                Productions. She has improvised at the Brody Theater
                and ComedySportz in addition to the shows she has done
                with Big Belly. Stacey also performed with Chaos
                Theory in Chicago. She works as Creative Producer for
                the Will Vinton Studios' Character Development Lab.

                Brad, Nate, and Stacey have all received training from
                Chicago's Second City and Improv Olympic alumni.

                That's the quick run down of our cast. They are all
                great. I hope you will come and see for yourself!

                http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1