Re: [pdxbackstage] GREY GARDENS, the musical

  • mary mcdonald-lewis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 12:54 AM
      Thanks Jackie and all for the nice words about Grey Gardens.  The director, cast, design team, musical director, conductor, orchestra and crew were wonderful to work with, and I hope the results show in the production.  Certainly when it comes to telling the story -- dialect aside -- it's a top-notch production.

      As a play with 2 unique dialects -- the Beales and Joe Kennedy -- and 5 additional dialects: working class Long Island, upper-class East Hampton, Mid-Atlantic, vintage Mid-Western and non-rhotic Southern, the show presented a great many wonderful challenges.  I spent time with the GG documentary (but not with any other version of the musical nor the HBO special) and a lot of time listening to Kenndys of various stripe, and Bouviers as well.  Required for the Edies and Joe Kennedy was a deconstruction of their dialect and then a reconstruction of it in such a way that it could be taught using standard dialect acquisition methods, from lexical sets to IPA to various oral exercises, along with the specific white papers and CDs I hand-built for those dialects -- along with the other 5 -- in this show, as I do for any show I work on.  That means turning a dialect for which there is no accepted standard (that is, the Beales sound only like each other) into a language that can be first, reduced to its individual vowel and consonant treatments, physical placement, melodies and so forth; then demonstrated; then replicated and taught.  Fun!

      A wonderful experience, all 'round, and I'm grateful to PCS for affording me the opportunity.  Folding in my dialect work on Leverage, where I am that TV series' coach, and other terrific opportunities I've had this year, it's been a great time for growth for me.  I am grateful.

      Thanks again, Jackie -- and I, too, recommend Grey Gardens!  ;->!

      MM

      On May 31, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Jacqueline Lerner-Aderman wrote:

      saw GREY GARDENS this weekend.
      thoroughly enjoyable.  For any of you (like me) who've come from an enmeshed family,
      you'll find it particularly poignant.  I learned something new about the Bouviers. Encouraging me to learn more.

      Kudos to Chris Coleman, director, Mary Mac (dialect coach), the actors and everyone involved with this production.

      Go see it!

      Jackie Lerner Aderman

    • Jacqueline Lerner-Aderman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1 3:55 PM
        you deserve it, Mary Mac, Chris, the cast, crew
        I'm encouraging people to go see this production.
        Well done
        applause, applause

        Jackie Lerner Aderman