Re: [pdflib] PDFLib 4.0.3 Build on OS X

  • Rainer Schaaf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hello,

      You are running into a problem of the pdflib configure on OSX.

      PDFlib needs carbon support since 4.0.3, but configure does not yet
      always do the right things for this.

      Until we have fixed configure here you might try the following.

      CFLAGS=-I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon LDFLAGS="-framework CoreServices -framework ApplicationServices" ./configure

      (from a bsh/ksh/bash)

      Friday, June 28, 2002, 1:19:22 AM, you wrote:

      > hi all,
      > i'm having trouble building the latest and greatest pdflib on the latest
      > and greatest from apple.
      > if i do a "./configure -- enable-cxx; make" i get a fatal error in
      > p_basic.c:
      > ./libtool --silent --mode=compile cc -c -DWORDS_BIGENDIAN=1 -g -O2
      > -DPDF_PLATFORM=\""Mac OS X"\" -I../tiff -I../flate -I../png p_basic.c
      > p_basic.c:61: header file 'Files.h' not found
      > p_basic.c:772: undefined type, found `FCBPBRec'
      > p_basic.c:773: undefined type, found `Str32'
      > p_basic.c:775: undefined type, found `FInfo'
      > p_basic.c:776: undefined type, found `FSSpec'
      > cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in
      > basic mode
      > make[1]: *** [p_basic.lo] Error 1
      > make: *** [pdflib] Error 2

      > so i tried (naively) to point it in the right direction by changing line
      > 61 to the following:
      > #include
      > "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.
      > framework/Versions/A/Headers/Files.h"

      > naturally, the build then failed when it tried to link (error appears at
      > the end of this message.) Pardon me if this has come up before, but i
      > couldn't find anything related with yahoo's search feature. If anyone
      > can point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it. my specs:
      > OS X 10.1.5
      > Developer Tools December 2001(version gcc-934.3, based on gcc version
      > 2.95.2 19991024 (release))

      > Cheers,
      > Daniel

      > The linker error:
      > cd pdflib && make
      > ../libtool --silent --mode=link cc -o libpdf.la -rpath /usr/local/lib
      > -version-info 2:3:1 ../pdflib/libpdf_.la ../png/libpng.la
      > ../tiff/libtiff.la ../flate/libz.la -export-dynamic -lm
      > ld: Undefined symbols:
      > _FSGetCatalogInfo
      > _FSPathMakeRef
      > _FSpGetFInfo
      > _FSpSetFInfo
      > /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
      > make[1]: *** [libpdf.la] Error 1
      > make: *** [pdflib] Error 2

      Best regards,

      Rainer Schaaf rjs@... http://www.pdflib.com
      *** PDFlib 4.0.3 with the PDF import library PDI released ***
      _______PDFlib - a library for generating PDF on the fly________
    • Daniel Roman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        Thanks Rainer, your suggestion worked perfectly!
        I'm just curious though -- it's easier/better to use carbon under OSX
        than it is to just use the BSD-ish standard libraries?
        Pardon me if it's a silly question -- my working knowledge of C is just
        enough to let me scrape by. =)

        cheers,
        daniel

        On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 08:08 , Rainer Schaaf wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > You are running into a problem of the pdflib configure on OSX.
        >
        > PDFlib needs carbon support since 4.0.3, but configure does not yet
        > always do the right things for this.
        >
        > Until we have fixed configure here you might try the following.
        >
        > CFLAGS=-I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon LDFLAGS="-framework
        > CoreServices -framework ApplicationServices" ./configure
        >
        > (from a bsh/ksh/bash)
      • Leonard Rosenthol
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          At 11:26 AM -0700 7/1/02, Daniel Roman wrote:
          >I'm just curious though -- it's easier/better to use carbon under OSX
          >than it is to just use the BSD-ish standard libraries?

          Carbon is necessary in order to support native fonts under Mac OS X.

          Leonard
          Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@...>
          <http://www.lazerware.com>