PCT Golden Packet Mt. Eddy Report

  • mnile@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24 6:17 PM
      Even though, there were no linking sites north or south, I made the 5 mile hike to Mt. Eddy today. This includes 3 miles of the PCT itself, so this truly was a PCT event.

      I was hoping to be able to send a packet by way of the ISS. In theory, my packet could be received from Canada to Mexico. A golden packet of a sort.

      Last night as I was testing out my gear, I found that the TNC would fail key the transmitter randomly. at 10:00pm I was rebuilding the connectors.

      I was on the Summit by 11:30. I set up my antenna and was ready for the ISS to come over the horizon. At 9000 Feet ASL, with at least 4000 feet HAAT, I had a completely unobstructed path to the ISS. I heard the first packet and tried sending a position beacon. Oh NO! the bad cable is still bad! Sigh...

      I've never had such a good pass with the ISS, but I was completely mute.

      I did manage to activate the peak for Summits on the Air, but it was a complete wash as far as a PCT golden packet event.

      I'll be ready to try again next year.

      -
      Martin
      KI6WJP
    • mnile@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25 7:51 AM
        It turns out that I did get digipeated by the ISS after all.

        Ed AD7FC reported that he heard the EDDY-8 beacon repeated by the ISS On Timberwolf Peak near Yakima WA. He replied back with a message, but due to my hardware problems, I never decoded any packets from the ISS.

        On looking at the raw packets on aprs.fi, it appears that not only was I being digipeated by the ISS, I was also being heard direct by the W6MSU-8 satgate in Stockton 240 miles away.

        We may not have had an end to end golden packet for the PCT this year, but at least one packet could have been heard from Mexico to Canada.

        Here is a photo album of the hike and summit of Mt. Eddy:
        https://picasaweb.google.com/martin.nile/MtEddyJuly242011

        My operating station was in the shelter of the remains of the old fire lookout. It gives new meaning to the term "Ham Shack".

        --
        Martin KI6WJP