PCT -- Golden packet -- use the ISS digipeater

  • Martin Nile
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21 3:41 PM
      Hello PCT Golden Packet People.

      At this point, it doesn't appear that we are going to be able to link any of the PCT summits on Sunday.

      I notice that there is an ISS pass on Sunday afternoon starting at 12:38pm in the north, and ending at 12:50pm in the south.  Unless they turn off the digipeater, we could use the ISS as the relay. The ISS will be traveling north to south along the pacific coast, so we should be able to hit it along the entire PCT.  At 12:43:31 it will be closest to me 39 deg above the horizon 600 miles away.  About a minute later, it will be opposite Arnold, and a minute after that it will be almost overhead Keller.

      To use the ISS for a digipeater:  Set your UI path to RS0ISS-4 and your frequency to 145.825.  I find the ISS surprisingly easy to use via APRS.  I use a simple j-pole antenna.  5 to 10 watts should be plenty.

      I'll be on the summit of Mt. Eddy around 12:00 and attempt to send out my beacon using the ISS.  If you hear me, shout back.

      --
      Martin
      KI6WJP