Proposed PCT Golden Packet summit list

  • mnile@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13 5:20 PM
      I realized that one of the big problems with the PCT golden packet is that we don't really have a path defined.  Towards that end, I have attempted to identify peaks starting at Mexico working north.

      My goal is to have at most -140dB path between two points, and drive up access is preferred.   I have worked out a path that gets into Washington, but ran out of time.

      Here is what I have so far: (Sites with operators listed in BOLD)

      1 Tecate Peak, Mexican border     N32.57949 W116.6889,  SOTA W6/CC-044
         105 mile -120 dB path Tecate  to San Gorgonio
      2. San Gorgonio Mountain  N34.10060 W116.82859, SOTA W6/CT-001 5 Mile Hike in
          141 mile -122 dB path San Gorgonio to Mt Pinos
      3. Mt. Pinos   N34.81169 W119.14730 ,SOTA W6/CC-002
          99 mile -119 dB path Mt Pinos to Jordan Peak
      4. Jordan Peak N 36.18153 W 118.59810 2 mile hike
          157 mile -126 dB path to Jordan Peak to Red Hill Road north of pacheco pass
      5 Red Hill Road N 37.12512 W 121.19340
          90 miles -132dB path Red Hill to Arnold
      6.Arnold Rocky Ridge N 38.24964 W 120.34887 AE6LA
          150 mile -124dB path Arnold to St John Mt
      7 St. John Mt N 39.43619 W 122.69531
          130 mile -121dB path St John Mt to Mt Eddy
      8. Mt Eddy N 41.32733 W 122.47559 SOTA W6/CC-001 5 mile hike KI6WJP
          111 mile -143dB path to Crater Lake  note!! poor path.
      9 Crater Lake OR N42.91034 W122.14276 NR6J
          49 mile -134dB path to Crater Lake Wolf Mountain
      9 Wolf Mountain  N43.61666 W122.23000
          89 mile -118dB path Wolf Mountain to Mary’s Peak
      10 Mary’s Peak N44.50434 W123.55156
          103 Mile -120dB path Mary’s Peak to Larch Mountain WA
      11 Larch Mountain (WA) N45.71688 W122.29603

      A bit more searching and we should be all the way to Canada.  You Washington ham's start looking at your maps.

      I am using "SPLAT" for the path analysis (http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/splat.html ).  Using the web interface here http://splat.wa7uhf.com/ .

      I am using the USGS topo maps available at mapper.acme.com.   This uses the google maps interface and covers the entire US.

      This is just a proposal, nothing is locked in.  If you find a better site speak up.

      --
      Martin
      KI6WJP

    • Kenneth
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13 6:27 PM
        Nice. OK folks let's fill in the blanks.

        73, Ken - ae6la

        --- In pct-golden-packet@yahoogroups.com, "mnile@..." <martin.nile@...> wrote:

        > I realized that one of the big problems with the PCT golden packet is
        > that we don't really have a path defined. Towards that end, I have
        > attempted to identify peaks starting at Mexico working north.
        >
        > My goal is to have at most -140dB path between two points, and drive up
        > access is preferred. I have worked out a path that gets into
        > Washington, but ran out of time.
        >
        > Here is what I have so far: (Sites with operators listed in BOLD)
        >
        > 1 Tecate Peak, Mexican border N32.57949 W116.6889, SOTA W6/CC-044
        > 105 mile -120 dB path Tecate to San Gorgonio
        > 2. San Gorgonio Mountain N34.10060 W116.82859, SOTA W6/CT-001 5 Mile
        > Hike in
        > 141 mile -122 dB path San Gorgonio to Mt Pinos
        > 3. Mt. Pinos N34.81169 W119.14730 ,SOTA W6/CC-002
        > 99 mile -119 dB path Mt Pinos to Jordan Peak
        > 4. Jordan Peak N 36.18153 W 118.59810 2 mile hike
        > 157 mile -126 dB path to Jordan Peak to Red Hill Road north of
        > pacheco pass
        > 5 Red Hill Road N 37.12512 W 121.19340
        > 90 miles -132dB path Red Hill to Arnold
        > 6.Arnold Rocky Ridge N 38.24964 W 120.34887 AE6LA
        > 150 mile -124dB path Arnold to St John Mt
        > 7 St. John Mt N 39.43619 W 122.69531
        > 130 mile -121dB path St John Mt to Mt Eddy
        > 8. Mt Eddy N 41.32733 W 122.47559 SOTA W6/CC-001 5 mile hike KI6WJP
        > 111 mile -143dB path to Crater Lake note!! poor path.
        > 9 Crater Lake OR N42.91034 W122.14276 NR6J
        > 49 mile -134dB path to Crater Lake Wolf Mountain
        > 9 Wolf Mountain N43.61666 W122.23000
        > 89 mile -118dB path Wolf Mountain to Mary’s Peak
        > 10 Mary’s Peak N44.50434 W123.55156
        > 103 Mile -120dB path Mary’s Peak to Larch Mountain WA
        > 11 Larch Mountain (WA) N45.71688 W122.29603
        >
        > A bit more searching and we should be all the way to Canada. You
        > Washington ham's start looking at your maps.
        >
        > I am using "SPLAT" for the path analysis
        > (http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/splat.html
        > <http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/splat.html> ). Using the web interface here
        > http://splat.wa7uhf.com/ <http://splat.wa7uhf.com/> .
        >
        > I am using the USGS topo maps available at mapper.acme.com. This uses
        > the google maps interface and covers the entire US.
        >
        > This is just a proposal, nothing is locked in. If you find a better
        > site speak up.
        >
        > --
        > Martin
        > KI6WJP

      • Phil Pacier - AD6NH
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13 6:57 PM

          On 07/13/2011 05:20 PM, mnile@... wrote:

          2. San Gorgonio Mountain  N34.10060 W116.82859, SOTA W6/CT-001 5 Mile Hike in
              141 mile -122 dB path San Gorgonio to Mt Pinos
          <!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial;

          I can do Keller Peak at 34°11.76' N 117°02.97' W if that would work.  I cannot get to San Gorgonio.  Let me know.

          73
          Phil - AD6NH
        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 14 7:00 AM

            I took Martins PATHS below and put them in a .TXT file at the top of the PCT page:

            http://aprs.org/pct-golden-packet.html

            I corrected his numbering beyond 9…

            Bob, WB4APR

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 14 9:27 AM
              Hi Phil,

              I'd say "go for it". Keller isn't as good as San Gorgonio, but about a hundred times easier to get to.  Keller is also a "Summit on the Air" peak W6/CT-013.  While you are at it, see if you can activate the summit and score some SOTA points.

              The path to Tecate on the Mexico border is -146dB which isn't all that good, but should be doable.  I couldn't find a better peak along the Mexican border. The Palomar mountains get in the way.

              The path from Keller to Mt. Pinos is -145dB.   A better location north of Keller is Breckenridge Mountain (N 35.45110 W 118.58430 SOTA W6/SN-041)   with -136dB path.

              Thanks for volunteering.

              --
              Martin
              KI6WJP

              On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Phil Pacier - AD6NH <ad6nh@...> wrote:

              I can do Keller Peak at 34°11.76' N 117°02.97' W if that would work.  I cannot get to San Gorgonio.  Let me know.
              73
              Phil - AD6NH

            • Perry Chamberlain
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 14 8:01 PM
                This will probably result in tons of flame emails, but....
                 With all due respect, having packet stations making 100  mile hops has nothing to do with the PCT
                Almost none of the stations are any where near the PCT.
                So why bother.
                Jumping from Gorgonio to  Mt Pinos , by passes  4 sections, a huge portion, of the PCT.
                I just heard about this via the APRS sig group.
                Some  of the relays proposed are not even with in 50  to 100 miles miles of the PCT.
                I understand the huge job of organizing this event, but local clubs should have been contacted through the ARRL, to start this process  late last year.
                I would love to participate in an actual PCT APRS event, but this is not it.
                This has turned into just getting a packet signal from the  Mexican border, to Canada.
                That could be done by just having existing APRS digs temporarily change their settings.
                It does no good to have a digi in the central valley pretend to be part of the PCT APRS project.
                What does Pacheco pass have to do with the PCT, IT'S A HUNDRED MILES AWAY.
                What this should be called, is an APRS project to pass a digi signal from Mexico to Canada.
                But it's stretch to associate this with the PCT.
                I am sure if we planned properly, next year,  we could contact enough clubs along the PCT to actually set up digs along the PCT. ON THE PCT.
                I would love to be part of an actual PCT APRS event.

                Ke6anm

                Respectfully

                Perry Chamberlain

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 15 7:07 AM
                  > but.... With all due respect, having packet stations
                  > making 100 mile hops has nothing to do with the PCT
                  > Almost none of the stations are anywhere near the PCT.
                  > So why bother.

                  I hope I can explain. The purpose of the event is to demonstrate LONG distance APRS packet communications across country AND demonstrating the ability to support hikers on the AT and PCT.

                  To do this, it is important to find LINK sites that have the maximum coverage. To those familiar with the concept of VHF communications and the importance of "Height Above Average Terrain" (HAAT), it becomes immediately obvious that having link stations ON the trail is about the worst place to put them.

                  The HAAT between locations on the trail is abysmal. The HAAT between two locations on the trail both at 5000 feet is ZERO or less. The range would be about 2 or 3 miles for an HT. Conversly, a digipeater 40 miles to the SIDE of the trail across a valley where the digi is at 5000' and the hiker is at 5000' and the valley is at 500 feet would have an HAAT of 4500 feet. This is suitable for SOLID hiker communications along maybe 50 to 100 miles or more of trail (not the 2 or 3 miles along the trail).

                  Placing link stations (digipeaters) ON the trail does nothing to support communications on the trail, it only supports communications in the VALLEYS. (That’s why we put digipeaters on mountains to serve us in the valleys). But if we want to support HT hikers ALONG the trail, then the best place for the digi is actually in the valleys so they can see dozens of miles of trails. Putting them on mountains ACROSS those valleys is even better because it vastly improves their range ALONG the trail.

                  > Jumping from Gorgonio to Mt Pinos , by passes
                  > 4 sections, a huge portion, of the PCT.

                  But how well do hikers IN those sections see Gorgio and Pinos? Probably a very large amount. And again, this is just our first attempt. We hardly have enough volunteers as it is. We must first establish the long haul links (digis) that give us the maximum HAAT to the maximum swaths of trail, then in later years as we get more involvement, we can fill in any blind spots.

                  > Some of the relays proposed are not even within 50
                  > to 100 miles miles of the PCT.

                  Which is the best way to provide coverage ALONG 50 to 100 miles of the trail.

                  > I would love to participate in an actual PCT
                  > APRS event, but this is not it.

                  I would ask that you reconsider how you look at this. The goal is to provide maximum COVERAGE of the PCT by linked digipeaters, and the only way to do that is to understand the principle of HAAT and how the digipeaters are best located criss-crossed from the trail and not on it.

                  > This has turned into just getting a packet signal
                  > from the Mexican border, to Canada.

                  That is why it is called the Golden Packet Event.

                  > That could be done by just having existing APRS
                  > digs temporarily change their settings.

                  Wouldn't be as much fun, nor would it get any shack-potatos out of their copmfort zone.

                  > It does no good to have a digi in the central valley
                  > pretend to be part of the PCT APRS project.

                  That statement I am afraid overlooks the importance of HAAT to VHF digipeater coverage range.

                  > What does Pacheco pass have to do with the PCT, IT'S A HUNDRED MILES AWAY.

                  But that could also give many dozens of mile line-of-sight coverage to an HT -on- the PCT.

                  > What this should be called, is an APRS project to
                  > pass a digi signal from Mexico to Canada.

                  It is. That is why it is called the Golden Packet Event. The Golden Packet was defined back in the 1980's for the first trans-continental packet. But wormholes and the internet so fouled all long distance packet connectivity, that the concept was abandoned. We want to get back to RF and play radio.

                  > But it's stretch to associate this with the PCT.

                  As with many Ham Radio events and demonstrations, the GOAL is what gets people out and involved. But there is always a long term objective as well. And that is to demonstrate HT coverage for APRS all along the PCT. But until we get the DIGI sites manned, it is premature to be inviting HIKERS to flood the trail. We currently need those first volunteers to manup the digis. Once the digi links are in place, then we can encourage left-over non-shack-potatos to go for a hike on the PCT and participate from there with their HT's.

                  > I am sure if we planned properly, next year,
                  > we could contact enough clubs along the PCT
                  > to actually set up digs along the PCT. ON THE PCT.

                  About the most that would do is provide 100% VALLEY coverage. It would take several dozen such digis on the trail, to provide any meaningful range on the trail.

                  Hope that Helps.

                  Bob, Wb4APR

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 15 9:21 AM
                    Hi Perry,

                    Thanks for being willing to jump in and comment on my proposed route. I freely admit that the route I have proposed isn't perfect. (It isn't even complete.)

                    Here is a map showing my current route. http://test.vse.com/maps/pacific-crest-trail-map-2-sm.JPG

                    Finding a radio path along the PCT from Mexico to Canada using 14 hops is an interesting exercise. A perfect route would have 7 digipeaters on peaks located near the trail. These 7 peaks would be linked by 7 sites across the valley. In practice, most of the high peaks are difficult to access, so I had to compromise. The linking sites were easier. Mt Pinos, Pacheco Pass, St John Mt. and Mary's peak are these linking sites.

                    Jordan peak is really not all that good of a site. It isn't high and it isn't close to the PCT. I'm sure that a better site exists. If we could get a digi on a high peak closer to the PCT in the southern sierra, we could eliminate the Mt. Pinos Hop.

                    Thanks again for your comments. I look forward to having you participate.

                    --
                    Martin
                    KI6WJP

                    --- In pct-golden-packet@yahoogroups.com, Perry Chamberlain <canoeman@...> wrote:

                    > This will probably result in tons of flame emails, but....
                    > With all due respect, having packet stations making 100 mile hops has nothing to do with the PCT
                    > Almost none of the stations are any where near the PCT.
                    > So why bother.
                    > Jumping from Gorgonio to Mt Pinos , by passes 4 sections, a huge portion, of the PCT.
                    > I just heard about this via the APRS sig group.
                    > Some of the relays proposed are not even with in 50 to 100 miles miles of the PCT.
                    > I understand the huge job of organizing this event, but local clubs should have been contacted through the ARRL, to start this process late last year.
                    > I would love to participate in an actual PCT APRS event, but this is not it.
                    > This has turned into just getting a packet signal from the Mexican border, to Canada.
                    > That could be done by just having existing APRS digs temporarily change their settings.
                    > It does no good to have a digi in the central valley pretend to be part of the PCT APRS project.
                    > What does Pacheco pass have to do with the PCT, IT'S A HUNDRED MILES AWAY.
                    > What this should be called, is an APRS project to pass a digi signal from Mexico to Canada.
                    > But it's stretch to associate this with the PCT.
                    > I am sure if we planned properly, next year, we could contact enough clubs along the PCT to actually set up digs along the PCT. ON THE PCT.
                    > I would love to be part of an actual PCT APRS event.
                    >
                    > Ke6anm

                  • Perry Chamberlain
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 15 9:49 AM
                      Where in the southern sierras would work out.
                      I would like to run up to the sierras with my tent trailer.
                      Are you thinking about as far south as isabella, or Johnsondale, or up by kennedy meadows.

                      Respectfully

                      Perry Chamberlain

                      On Jul 15, 2011, at 9:21 AM, "mnile@..." <martin.nile@...> wrote:

                      Hi Perry,

                      Thanks for being willing to jump in and comment on my proposed route. I freely admit that the route I have proposed isn't perfect. (It isn't even complete.)

                      Here is a map showing my current route. http://test.vse.com/maps/pacific-crest-trail-map-2-sm.JPG

                      Finding a radio path along the PCT from Mexico to Canada using 14 hops is an interesting exercise. A perfect route would have 7 digipeaters on peaks located near the trail. These 7 peaks would be linked by 7 sites across the valley. In practice, most of the high peaks are difficult to access, so I had to compromise. The linking sites were easier. Mt Pinos, Pacheco Pass, St John Mt. and Mary's peak are these linking sites.

                      Jordan peak is really not all that good of a site. It isn't high and it isn't close to the PCT. I'm sure that a better site exists. If we could get a digi on a high peak closer to the PCT in the southern sierra, we could eliminate the Mt. Pinos Hop.

                      Thanks again for your comments. I look forward to having you participate.

                      --
                      Martin
                      KI6WJP

                      --- In pct-golden-packet@yahoogroups.com, Perry Chamberlain <canoeman@...> wrote:

                      > This will probably result in tons of flame emails, but....
                      > With all due respect, having packet stations making 100 mile hops has nothing to do with the PCT
                      > Almost none of the stations are any where near the PCT.
                      > So why bother.
                      > Jumping from Gorgonio to Mt Pinos , by passes 4 sections, a huge portion, of the PCT.
                      > I just heard about this via the APRS sig group.
                      > Some of the relays proposed are not even with in 50 to 100 miles miles of the PCT.
                      > I understand the huge job of organizing this event, but local clubs should have been contacted through the ARRL, to start this process late last year.
                      > I would love to participate in an actual PCT APRS event, but this is not it.
                      > This has turned into just getting a packet signal from the Mexican border, to Canada.
                      > That could be done by just having existing APRS digs temporarily change their settings.
                      > It does no good to have a digi in the central valley pretend to be part of the PCT APRS project.
                      > What does Pacheco pass have to do with the PCT, IT'S A HUNDRED MILES AWAY.
                      > What this should be called, is an APRS project to pass a digi signal from Mexico to Canada.
                      > But it's stretch to associate this with the PCT.
                      > I am sure if we planned properly, next year, we could contact enough clubs along the PCT to actually set up digs along the PCT. ON THE PCT.
                      > I would love to be part of an actual PCT APRS event.
                      >
                      > Ke6anm

                    • Martin Nile
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 15 10:31 AM
                        Hi Perry,

                        I'm a Northern California native and I know very little about the Southern Sierra.  I'm sure you have a much better idea of potential locations. I'd start by picking your favorite camping spot, then look for peaks in the area that are accessible to you.  Next, use "splat" to check out possible paths north and south.

                        I use the splat web interface here: http://splat.wa7uhf.com/index.html.  You have to register the Lat/Lon of your peak, then you can have it calculate a profile between two registered stations.  If the path loss is 140dB or less, then you are good to go.  Here is what splat generates for the path between Mt. Eddy and St. Johns Mt. http://test.vse.com/maps/eddy-st%20johns%20profile/profile.htm

                        At this point, I would try to find a location with good view to the south to Keller.  So far, we don't have any volunteer for Pacheco pass, so it doesn't matter that much if you don't have a good path in that direction.

                        --
                        Martin
                        KI6WJP

                        On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Perry Chamberlain <canoeman@...> wrote:

                        Where in the southern sierras would work out.
                        I would like to run up to the sierras with my tent trailer.
                        Are you thinking about as far south as isabella, or Johnsondale, or up by kennedy meadows.

                        Respectfully

                        Perry Chamberlain

                      • John Huggins
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 15 12:52 PM
                          Martin,

                          You are doing a great job with this.

                          I was going to help with Pacific Peak to Peak link calculations, like I
                          did for the AT, using Radio Mobile, but Splat should be just as good. In
                          fact, I did load up your peak list just to have an excuse to download the
                          elevation files which takes quite a while.

                          Bob used Google Earth to find all the valid link paths and peaks along the
                          AT with amazing success. All I did was validate what he already correctly
                          determined with Google Earth. We should try that approach to research
                          more possible peaks.

                          Being an East Coaster, I'm jealous of your available peaks' HAAT.

                          I'm with Perry on planning a bit more ahead of time, but much will be
                          learned this year. With proper documentation of lessons learned, we can
                          get a great head start for the next attempt... which in my mind doesn't
                          necessarily need to be one year from now.

                          Let me know if you would like to collaborate on link calculations... after
                          July 24.

                          John, kx4o

                          > Hi Perry,
                          >
                          > I'm a Northern California native and I know very little about the Southern
                          > Sierra. I'm sure you have a much better idea of potential locations. I'd
                          > start by picking your favorite camping spot, then look for peaks in the
                          > area
                          > that are accessible to you. Next, use "splat" to check out possible paths
                          > north and south.
                          >
                          > I use the splat web interface here: http://splat.wa7uhf.com/index.html.
                          > You
                          > have to register the Lat/Lon of your peak, then you can have it calculate
                          > profile between two registered stations. If the path loss is 140dB or
                          > less,
                          > then you are good to go. Here is what splat generates for the path
                          > between
                          > Mt. Eddy and St. Johns Mt.
                          > http://test.vse.com/maps/eddy-st%20johns%20profile/profile.htm
                          >
                          > At this point, I would try to find a location with good view to the south
                          > Keller. So far, we don't have any volunteer for Pacheco pass, so it
                          > doesn't
                          > matter that much if you don't have a good path in that direction.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Martin
                          > KI6WJP
                          >

                          > On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Perry Chamberlain
                          > <canoeman@...>wrote:
                          >

                          >> Where in the southern sierras would work out.
                          >> I would like to run up to the sierras with my tent trailer.
                          >> Are you thinking about as far south as isabella, or Johnsondale, or up
                          >> by
                          >> kennedy meadows.
                          >>

                          >> Respectfully
                          >>
                          >> Perry Chamberlain

                        • Martin Nile
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 15 2:33 PM
                            Hi John,

                            The biggest problem with a big HAAT is it usually means that you have to carry your equipment a long ways.  My personal theory is that weight of radio gear doubles for every thousand feet above where you park your car.  I am certain that a 7VA gel cell battery weighs at least 50 pounds above 10000 feet.

                            Based on suggestions from others on this list, I have completed the path.  Unfortunately, the northern terminus of the PCT is smack in the middle of a valley surrounded by mountains that are difficult to access.  As a compromise, I picked the final station at the Peace Arch park in Blaine WA.  about 60 Miles west of the PCT.   With a station at each end and 13 digipeaters in between, we should be able to do the entire route with a HOP7-7,HOP7-7 path. with one hop left over.

                            Here is the complete list, Mexico to Canada:

                            1 Tecate Peak, Mexican border     N32.57949 W116.6889,  SOTA W6/CC-044
                                105 mile -120 dB path Tecate  to San Gorgonio
                                113 Mile -136 dB path Tecate to Keller
                            2. San Gorgonio Mountain  N34.10060 W116.82859, SOTA W6/CT-001 5 Mile Hike
                            2. alternate: Keller Peak N 34.19590 W 117.04903
                                141 mile -122 dB path San Gorgonio to Mt Pinos
                                126 mile -145 dB path Keller to Mt. Pinos  Note: poor path
                            3. Mt. Pinos   N34.81169 W119.14730 ,SOTA W6/CC-002
                                99 mile -119 dB path Mt Pinos to Jordan Peak
                            4. Jordan Peak N 36.18153 W 118.59810 2 mile hike
                                157 mile -126 dB path to Jordan Peak to Red Hill Road north of pacheco pass
                            5 Red Hill Road N 37.12512 W 121.19340
                                90 miles -132dB path Red Hill to Arnold
                            6.Arnold Rocky Ridge N 38.24964 W 120.34887 AE6LA
                                150 mile -124dB path Arnold to St John Mt
                            7 St. John Mt N 39.43619 W 122.69531
                                130 mile -121dB path St John Mt to Mt Eddy
                            8. Mt Eddy N 41.32733 W 122.47559 SOTA W6/CC-001 5 mile hike KI6WJP
                                111 mile -143dB path to Crater Lake  note!! poor path.
                            9 Crater Lake OR N42.91034 W122.14276 NR6J
                                49 mile -134dB path to Crater Lake Wolf Mountain
                            10 Wolf Mountain  N43.61666 W122.23000
                                89 mile -118dB path Wolf Mountain to Mary’s Peak
                            11 Mary’s Peak N44.50434 W123.55156
                                132 Mile -135dB path Mary’s Peak to Signal Peak WA
                            12 Signal Peak WA N46.2859 W122.5519
                                56 mile -114dB path Signal Peak to Rock Candy Mountain
                            13 Rock Candy Mountain N47.00865 W123.11095
                                94 Mile -120dB path Rock Candy Mountain to Pilchuck Mountain
                            14 Mount Pilchuck N48.05788 W121.79679 2 mile hike
                                78 Mile -136dB path Mt. Pilchuck to Peace Arch, Blaine,WA
                            15 Peace Arch Blaine, WA: N49.00207 W122.756558  Canadian Border.
                            Total radio path, Tecate to Blaine, 1481 Miles

                            I have updated the maps:
                            http://test.vse.com/maps/pacific-crest-trail-map-2.JPG
                            http://test.vse.com/maps/pacific-crest-trail-map-2-sm.JPG

                            There is plenty of room for improvement here.  I would love to actually place more sites near the PCT itself.  If anybody finds a better peak, speak up.

                            I agree that we don't actually have enough time to get this truly organized for this year.  I put this list of peaks together as a way of getting the ball rolling.  I will be on Mt. Eddy this year regardless of how many people turn out.

                            --
                            Martin
                            KI6WJP