Golden Packet Attemt in 2 weeks!

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2011
      AT-Group:

      I posted this on APRSSIG and others, then realized I neglected all of you on the AT and PCT groups. New England looks weak again. Pacific looks like they might make it this year! Any ideas how to find operators?

      Drive (hike) to the top of an APRS mountain next weekend, Sunday 24 July, noon to 4 PM and join the annual Golden Packet attempt.

      * See http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html for east coast
      * or http://aprs.org/pct-golden-packet.html for west coast

      We need you with your D700 to drive/hike to the top of some of the highest mountains in the USA and set up as a portable APRS digipeater to see if we can link a Golden Packet across thousands of miles.

      There is an attempt along the Appalachian Trail from Alabama to Maine and along the Pacific Crest trail from San Diego to Seattle. Good portable stations are needed on many mountain tops! See the above web page for the planning.

      IN particular we need stations in the East:
      * MT Washington
      * Mt Greylock,
      * Central Maine,
      * Mid NH area,
      * Georgia,
      * Huntsville,
      * Lookout Mountain TN
      * and more?

      Out west we need:
      * Seattle
      * Washington State
      * Oregon
      * Northern California,
      * Bay area
      * SoCal
      * San Diego
      * and More

      I'm updating those pages as we speak, so tune in daily to see progress. Less than 2 weeks to go!

      Not just any mountain, these mountains have been carefully chosen to provide nearly 100 mile range in both directions with clear shots across valleys to the next site in the Chain.

      Bob, Wb4APR
    • George
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2011

        My plan is to get to the top of either Twin Peaks in San Francisco or Mt San Bruno on the Daly City/South San Francisco and I'll use 147.060+ pl 100.0(W6CX) for a local repeater and if need be I put my cell phone number in my auto-reply....(LOL)

        I believe there is a VHF contest going on during the same weekend so I'll bring my IC-7000 and try some 2 meter SSB on 144.200

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2011
          > My plan is to get to the top of either Twin Peaks
          > in San Francisco or Mt San Bruno on the Daly City/
          > South San Francisco...

          This will be great to have link to SF, but ONLY if there is a station
          somewhere else as needed to have SOLID paths to Mt Eddy and Arnold. Has
          anyone run an RF analysis to twin peaks? If it does not have a path, then
          packets from extra peaks, not on the main chain actually add QRM instead of
          necessarily helping. Again, I have not looked at the RF paths, so my
          comments might not apply...

          > I believe there is a VHF contest going on...
          > I'll bring my IC-7000 and try some 2 meter SSB on 144.200

          Just remember that almost any transmitter on 2m band within hundreds of
          yards of your APRS packet station will likely decense the APRS signal and
          might lose those precious packets you are trying to hear. Conversly, losing
          a half second out of a VHF contesters droing CQ's has no impact on him. So
          the packet guy is orders of magnitude more vulnerable to intereference...

          Bob, Wb4APR

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2011
            What does Southern California look like so far? I can run up to Keller Peak with my D710 and whatever else. From there I can see south all the way into Mexico, and north to the southern Sierra. You can check the location of the KELLER digipeater for the location.

            73
            Phil - AD6NH

            --- In pct-golden-packet@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bruninga" <bruninga@...> wrote:

            > > My plan is to get to the top of either Twin Peaks
            > > in San Francisco or Mt San Bruno on the Daly City/
            > > South San Francisco...
            >
            > This will be great to have link to SF, but ONLY if there is a station
            > somewhere else as needed to have SOLID paths to Mt Eddy and Arnold. Has
            > anyone run an RF analysis to twin peaks? If it does not have a path, then
            > packets from extra peaks, not on the main chain actually add QRM instead of
            > necessarily helping. Again, I have not looked at the RF paths, so my
            > comments might not apply...
            >
            > > I believe there is a VHF contest going on...
            > > I'll bring my IC-7000 and try some 2 meter SSB on 144.200
            >
            > Just remember that almost any transmitter on 2m band within hundreds of
            > yards of your APRS packet station will likely decense the APRS signal and
            > might lose those precious packets you are trying to hear. Conversly, losing
            > a half second out of a VHF contesters droing CQ's has no impact on him. So
            > the packet guy is orders of magnitude more vulnerable to intereference...
            >
            > Bob, Wb4APR

          • Martin Nile
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 13, 2011
              At this point, we have several people committed to the PCT golden packet, but not enough to link anything together.

              Crater Lake Oregon NR6J
              Mt. Eddy KI6WJP (Northern California west of Mt. Shasta)
              Mt St. John -- Operator needed to tie Mt Eddy to Arnold  (West of Willows, CA)
              Arnold, AE6LA  (Sierra Foothills east of Stockton)
              Pacheco Pass or other location Operator Needed to link to Arnold. (Pacheco Mountain is a SOTA peak (w6/cc-059), so any summits on the air folks could bag some points.)

              Everything else up for grabs.

              Martin
              KI6WJP

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 14, 2011

                Can anyone get the PCT Golden Packet attempt announced via ARES organization or other California, Oregon and Washington communications nets/

                Bob, WB4APR