Socal sites

  • perryc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hello all,

      I live in socal, section D, just off the PCT, in the san Gabriel Mountains qwest of Wrightwood.
      I could set up a digi on either Blueridge, or on Mt Gleason perhaps lightning ridge just past mill creek sumit.
      If you need more help, I could probably scare up some people down in this area, to help with the digi's on Mountain tops.

      If socal locations arnt needed, I may get the urge to head up into the Sierras, around Horseshoe meadows, at 11,000+ ft campgrounds, near Mt Whitney, and camp for the weekend.
      let me know, if you still need help.

      Ke6anm
    • Kenneth
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hi Perry,

        We can make this work if we get a few more to participate. I just tested my 2 yagi setup with matching/phasing harness and I'm ready to go on July 24 at Rocky Ridge above Arnold. As far as I know, we still need someone for St John's to the North and maybe Mt Toro (above Carmel Valley) to the South.

        73, Ken - ae6la

        --- In pct-golden-packet@yahoogroups.com, "perryc" <canoeman@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I live in socal, section D, just off the PCT, in the san Gabriel Mountains qwest of Wrightwood.
        > I could set up a digi on either Blueridge, or on Mt Gleason perhaps lightning ridge just past mill creek sumit.
        > If you need more help, I could probably scare up some people down in this area, to help with the digi's on Mountain tops.
        >
        > If socal locations arnt needed, I may get the urge to head up into the Sierras, around Horseshoe meadows, at 11,000+ ft campgrounds, near Mt Whitney, and camp for the weekend.
        > let me know, if you still need help.
        >
        > Ke6anm

      • Martin Nile
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
          Hi Perry,

          Absolutely we need your help.  At this point, Ken and I are the only California locations committed.   Look for a site in the Southern Sierra that can reach across the valley to Mt. Toro, or Pacheco Pass.  We need a Ham from the bay area willing to drive up to Mt. Toro or Pacheco pass to link to Ken.

          We also need somebody from the Sacramento Valley to make the trek to Mt. St John (West of Willows.) to connect to Ken to the South and Me to the North.  I spoke with a radio tech for the State who has been to Mt. St. John.  He says that the last half mile of road is very rough.   We can probably make do with a site at the saddle below the last half mile.  He says the forest service has a gate at the bottom, so somebody will need to make contact to get a key.

          Martin
          KI6WJP

        • ae6la@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
            Howdy,

            I've been playing with aprs.fi some this morning.  I see WX6HNX-9 regularly; I think it is near the Visitor Center at San Luis Reservoir, 94.6 miles.   WX6HNX-9 page at aprs.fi tells me it sees WA6YLB-6 ESE of Porterville, 167.6 miles.  That sure is a long haul but this web site may help find some possibilities.

            To the North, even though I am slightly over the ridge, I do some simplex 2 meter to Sacramento.  So it is my hope that at Rocky Ridge 350" above me I will have a good shot North to St John.  I'm pretty sure I remember our keyboard packet node on Fowler Peak above Angels Camp reaching St John.  Probably way too much on my plate to check it out before hand but we will see.

            Mornings will be better as the valley heat causes all sorts of strange bad things to propagation.

            73, Ken - ae6la

          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
              Let's make sure George is on the PCT-golden-packet email list.

              In 2010, George said [mailto:w0web@...]

              Then in 2011 he said:
              > I'll see what I can come up with, maybe twin peaks in S.F.

              I'm not familiar with CA, but one ideal location to link Mt Eddy to Arnold
              is from St. Johns Mountain (see the web page). But again, that was just
              chosen using Google earth and elevation paths as the most obvious highest
              mountain in the area. There may be other locations, but the highest is the
              best, since you have to see both ways at once. But don't skimp on
              location... We only get one chance.. But drive-up publically accessible is
              preferred, unless one has acess otherwise.

              Bob, Wb4APR