Mt Eddy will be active this year for the PCT golden packet

  • mnile@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2011
      I'm planning on activating APRS on the summit of Mt. Eddy this year for the PCT golden packet. I will have a 40 watt radio with a KPC3+ tnc for a digipeater.

      At 9000 feet AGL, this peak has coverage well into Oregon and south into the Sacramento valley.

      Here is a map showing path loss from Mt. Eddy. anywhere in the yellow area of the map should be within reach of a 5 watt transmitter.

      http://test.vse.com/maps/mt-eddy/googlemaps.html

      To the north, the Watchman parking lot on the west rim of Crater Lake has an adequate path to Mt. Eddy and good coverage to the northwest.

      To the south, a station in Chico or Willows could easily reach Mt. Eddy.

      --
      Martin Nile
      KI6WJP
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2011
        Martin, Great!

        > I'm planning on activating APRS on the summit of Mt. Eddy
        > this year for the PCT golden packet. I will have a
        > At 9000 feet AGL, this peak has coverage well into
        > Oregon and south into the Sacramento valley.
        > ...anywhere in the yellow area of the map should be OK
        > http://test.vse.com/maps/mt-eddy/googlemaps.html
        > To the south, a station in Chico or Willows could easily reach Mt. Eddy.

        Actually, much further south than Chico. Chico has no altitude but has
        plenty of signal. By going much further south but on say a mountain to the
        WEST of Sacramento, one should be able to find a link. This plot shows why
        it is fruitless to seachfor paths in-the-mountains when much greater ranges
        are possible from peak-to-peak across valleys.

        Can you extend this plot to almost twice the radius to see if there are any
        "yellow" peaks in those mountains west of Sacramento?. The yellow peaks
        will be so tiny that they will be nearly impossible to see at this scale.
        But they should be there.

        In fact, if you have some ideas of some drive-up sites in the mountains to
        the west of Sacramento, then just give John the Lat/long and he can run an
        RF path to see if it works.

        You guys with your tall mountains are a real envy to us back east. Thanks
        Bob, Wb4APR
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2011
          How about St Johns Mountain west of Sacramento at 6700'. But the site is
          full of radio transmitters. Might be better to be back down the road a mile
          in the saddle but still has excellent views north and south at 6340 feet.
          Try 3925.48N 12241.33W. Bet that would hit Mt Eddy easy.

          Bob, WB4aPR

          > I'm planning on activating APRS on the summit of Mt. Eddy
          > this year for the PCT golden packet. I will have a
          > At 9000 feet AGL, this peak has coverage well into
          > Oregon and south into the Sacramento valley.
          > ...anywhere in the yellow area of the map should be OK
          > http://test.vse.com/maps/mt-eddy/googlemaps.html
          > To the south, a station in Chico or Willows could easily reach Mt. Eddy.

          Actually, much further south than Chico. Chico has no altitude but has
          plenty of signal. By going much further south but on say a mountain to the
          WEST of Sacramento, one should be able to find a link. This plot shows why
          it is fruitless to seachfor paths in-the-mountains when much greater ranges
          are possible from peak-to-peak across valleys.

          Can you extend this plot to almost twice the radius to see if there are any
          "yellow" peaks in those mountains west of Sacramento?. The yellow peaks
          will be so tiny that they will be nearly impossible to see at this scale.
          But they should be there.

          In fact, if you have some ideas of some drive-up sites in the mountains to
          the west of Sacramento, then just give John the Lat/long and he can run an
          RF path to see if it works.

          You guys with your tall mountains are a real envy to us back east. Thanks
          Bob, Wb4APR

        • Martin Nile
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2011
            Thanks for spotting that location.  Unfortunately, the web interface I'm using to generate the coverage
            map doesn't give me the option of enlarging the coverage map.

            St John Mountain is an excellent site for the PCT Golden Packet.

            There is an unobstructed 130 mile line of sight between Mt. Eddy and St John Mountain.
            According to splat, there is 122dB of path loss.  Here is a full point to point analysis of the path:
            http://test.vse.com/maps/eddy-st%20johns%20profile/profile.htm

            Here is a USGS topo map of the mountain:
            http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.43433,-122.69305&z=13&t=T

            To the south, there appears to be a somewhat obstructed 150 mile path to Ken in Arnold CA.  (I don't know if he will be be available this year.)    Here is the path profile between St John and Arnold:
            http://test.vse.com/maps/st-john-arnold-profile/profile.htm

            If anybody is interested in a nice Sunday drive on July 24th.  St John Mountain looks like a great location.

            --
            Martin
            KI6WJP