94APRS Golden Packet joins Scouts ON-TARGET

  • Bob Bruninga
    Jul 5, 2012
      APRS joins Operation ON-TARGET!

      The annual Operation ON-TARGET consist of scouts and hams all over the
      country going to mountain tops and attempting to communicate by signal
      mirror (assisted by HAM contact to know where to point). This is Saturday
      July 21st, 1100 to 1400 LOCAL TIME.

      See http:// http://www.ldsfacts.net/ontarget.htm

      Take along an APRS HT or radio, since then everyone can see on their
      attached GPS where everyone else is and can globally text message in real
      time for coordination. In addition, everyone back home can watch it all
      LIVE and see on maps where everyone is and what links are successful on

      Operation on target has hundreds of participants out west because of the
      accessible mountains and clarity of distance. The goal is mountain top
      connectivity across the entire US north to south.

      Similarly, APRS has had an annual event (Golden Packet attempt) on the 3rd
      weekend in July to do the same thing but with APRS and packet. We have been
      successful in linking 15 mountain tops from Georgia to Maine with APRS and
      will do it again this year. But by joining with Operation On Target, at
      least out-west, the APRS folks out west get to leverage the many more hams
      that are involved already. See all about the Golden Packet event:

      At this time, we WILL plan on operating the APRS Golden Packet event out
      west on the 21st with the Operation on Target. We are still trying to
      decide for the Appalachian trail group, originally planning on the 22nd,
      Sunday, to move to the 21st Saturday to match up our efforts with East coast
      Scouts that might be doing Operation On Target along the Appalachians.

      So far, we have not found any east-coast OT plans. So if anyone knows of
      any, please let us know. We will carry mirrors if there are scouts

      Oh, and the CQ Worldwide VHF contest is that same weekend! That starts at
      1800z on Saturday (1400 EDT on the east coast). The mountains will be
      crawling with hams! (and QRM)...

      For the 4 hour event, APRS will use 144.34 MHz. Please join the
      at-golden-packet@yahoogroups.com if you will participate so we can
      coordinate. And review APRS Details on the web page above. We will all use
      the EYEBALL symbol to make it easy to identify participants.

      Bob, Wb4APR