93Pacific Golden Packet and ON-TARGET

  • Bob Bruninga
    Jul 3, 2012
      I have not heard anything from the Pacific coast Golden packet list as to
      whether they are going to attempt this year.

      I have a suggestion. Instead of trying to get a handful of APRS operators
      up on the mountains on Sunday 22 July, why not instead see if we can get
      some of the HUNDREDs of ham operators already going to the mount tops with
      SCOUTS on Saturday the 21st to do OPERATION ON-TARGET.

      This is a scout event that tries to use SIGNAL MIRRORS and/or HAM RADIO to
      communicate a message from Mexico to Canada from peak to peak. All we have
      to do is make sure that any of them that have an APRS radio, carry it along
      and enable a digipeater on their mountain!

      So I think it will be easier to get the golden packet success if we pick
      the same day as every other ham going to the mountain top. The problem will
      be QRM, but then operating with QRM is better than not even trying which is
      all we have done out west for the last 4 years.

      What do you think?

      Here is the operation ON-TARGET list of hams for Utah:
      http://www.ldsfacts.net/ot1002.htm

      Here is the national site: http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

      Or Idaho/Grand Teton:
      http://www.grandtetoncouncil.org/varsity-operation-on-target