76snow level in WA state

  • EdwardL
    Jul 21, 2011
      Here is something to consider when selecting next year's date. We are experiencing La Nina conditions in the Pacific which may account for the heavy spring snow and cool summer in the WA state Cascades. Last weekend I tried to drive to the top of Timberwolf Mountain (Yakima County) and was stopped 1/4 mile from the top by 6 foot high snow drifts at 6300 feet elevation. The following appeared in today's local newspaper
      "Snow is still a big problem at higher elevations," said Doug Jenkins, information assistant for the Naches Ranger District. "We received a report from the wilderness ranger not to send anyone to the Pacific Crest Trail where there is still 6 to 8 feet of snow. It's really atypical at this time of year."

      Ed Lisowski, AD7FC