64Khan Rocks

  • apathyfish
    May 29, 2006
      A few days old, but fun anyway:

      From BBC News

      Mongolia rocks to Khan opera show

      Mongolia's first rock opera - a tribute to Genghis Khan - is being
      performed in the country's capital, Ulan Bator.

      The rock opera is one of a number of events marking 800 years since
      Mongolia's foundation.

      Lyricist Dojpalem Ganzorig said he wanted to show the country's
      founder - viewed as a ruthless conqueror by much of the world - in a
      different light.

      "He was a good husband, a good son, and a good friend and I wanted to
      show him that way," he said.

      "Not as a tyrant or someone with a bad character which is how some
      people see him."

      The production tells how Genghis Khan united the Mongol tribes and
      became their leader against the odds.

      It combines operatic singing with a rock beat, although traditional
      Mongolian elements like throat-singing and the horse-head fiddle also
      feature.

      Ganzorig, the guitarist with rock band The Black Wolves, called the
      rock opera genre "the height of rock".

      "I find it really satisfying to play rock with a full orchestra," he said.

      "To me, that's real music."

      And check out this site to hear one of the songs. It rocks. I highly
      rec. it for use while packing:
      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5346789

      can't wait, can't wait, can't wait
      -leif