Method for translating stuff

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2007
      Hi all

      While messing with datasets, I think I found a method to translate
      stuff without touching the original files.

      Let's say I want to translate the Fighter, I create a new lst file,
      called by my own pcc file. In this lst file, I'll put something like
      this :

      CLASS:Fighter.MOD<tab>KEY:Fighter
      CLASS:Fighter.COPY=Guerrier
      CLASS:Fighter.FORGET

      This method seems to work quite well, and it don't bring alerts in
      the console.

      So far, I applied it to classes and weaponprofs, where using the NAME
      tag is deprecated. I'm far from finished but it seems to work well.
      I'll try to apply it to the skills, spells, domains, equipments, etc.
      and will keep you informed.

      Does anyone see anything wrong with this method ?

      Ludo
    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2007
        On 4/6/07, Ludovic Fierville <lfierville@...> wrote:
        > Hi all
        >
        > While messing with datasets, I think I found a method to translate
        > stuff without touching the original files.
        >
        > Let's say I want to translate the Fighter, I create a new lst file,
        > called by my own pcc file. In this lst file, I'll put something like
        > this :
        >
        > CLASS:Fighter.MOD<tab>KEY:Fighter
        > CLASS:Fighter.COPY=Guerrier
        > CLASS:Fighter.FORGET
        >
        > This method seems to work quite well, and it don't bring alerts in
        > the console.
        >
        > So far, I applied it to classes and weaponprofs, where using the NAME
        > tag is deprecated. I'm far from finished but it seems to work well.
        > I'll try to apply it to the skills, spells, domains, equipments, etc.
        > and will keep you informed.
        >
        > Does anyone see anything wrong with this method ?

        PRECLASS:1,Fighter=x won't work with this system. (we haven't
        converted all the main RSRD objects over to KEYs, but that will be
        happening).
        We've tried to keep main release files from needing a specific name of
        a class, but it makes things for PHB2 kind of feats more difficult.
        Becomes much harder when you get to Spells, and the PRESPELL tags.

        Anything wrong with using OUTPUTNAME?

        Fighter.MOD OUTPUTNAME:Guerrier ABB:Gue (or whatever)
        That should change the names of the objects viewed to the
        internationalized method, while keeping internal calls the same.

        --
        Tir Gwaith
        PCGen LST Chimp
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2007
          OUTPUTNAME was my first try some months ago, unfortunately I don't
          think it produce the desired result (the translated object should be
          displayed in the program, but the original name would be used
          internally, hence the KEY tag).

          I'm trying to find a method to do a "as clean as possible"
          translation aimed at non-english speaking users. Of course, it's a
          bit too soon with the 5.12 coming soon, but if I am to propose
          something to Karianna (related to his previous message) I should try,
          right ?

          Oh, and I'm fed up with my good old 5.10.1, so I figured I would try
          to translate as much of the rsrd as I need for my players while
          adaptating some CMP datasets (for my own personal use of course). And
          since I have a bit of free time ( holidays :) ), I can enjoy coding
          in the sun :)

          And if the only reason my method doesn't work well is because some
          KEY tags are missing, I can continue my work and wait for the
          datasets to be completed.

          I personnaly think that this method is a bit bulky, but I plan to
          pester all of you for a nice translated program for the 6.0 release :)

          Le 6 avr. 07 à 19:14, Tir Gwaith a écrit :

          > On 4/6/07, Ludovic Fierville <lfierville@...> wrote:
          > <snip>
          > PRECLASS:1,Fighter=x won't work with this system. (we haven't
          > converted all the main RSRD objects over to KEYs, but that will be
          > happening).
          > We've tried to keep main release files from needing a specific name of
          > a class, but it makes things for PHB2 kind of feats more difficult.
          > Becomes much harder when you get to Spells, and the PRESPELL tags.
          >
          > Anything wrong with using OUTPUTNAME?
          >
          > Fighter.MOD OUTPUTNAME:Guerrier ABB:Gue (or whatever)
          > That should change the names of the objects viewed to the
          > internationalized method, while keeping internal calls the same.
          >
          > --
          > Tir Gwaith
          > PCGen LST Chimp

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2007
            On 4/6/07, Ludovic Fierville <lfierville@...> wrote:
            > OUTPUTNAME was my first try some months ago, unfortunately I don't
            > think it produce the desired result (the translated object should be
            > displayed in the program, but the original name would be used
            > internally, hence the KEY tag).

            Ahh, I have the preference checked that shows the OUTPUTNAME in the
            program itself.

            While we will be expanding KEYs, I think we can tack onto that an
            ability to change the Name of the object elegantly. The NAME tag
            wasn't, which is part of why it was deprecated.

            --
            Tir Gwaith
            PCGen LST Chimp
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2007
              That would certainly be much appreciated :)

              I'll impatiently wait for an elegant solution, while trying to
              translate a bit more of the rsrd.

              Ludo

              Le 6 avr. 07 à 20:41, Tir Gwaith a écrit :

              > On 4/6/07, Ludovic Fierville <lfierville@...> wrote:
              >> OUTPUTNAME was my first try some months ago, unfortunately I don't
              >> think it produce the desired result (the translated object should be
              >> displayed in the program, but the original name would be used
              >> internally, hence the KEY tag).
              >
              > Ahh, I have the preference checked that shows the OUTPUTNAME in the
              > program itself.
              >
              > While we will be expanding KEYs, I think we can tack onto that an
              > ability to change the Name of the object elegantly. The NAME tag
              > wasn't, which is part of why it was deprecated.
              >
              > --
              > Tir Gwaith
              > PCGen LST Chimp

            • Terry FitzSimons
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8, 2007
                Hey Tir, just wondering since I am trying to maintain the
                globalfileskey.html for the eqmod keys, should I plan on a new series
                (Class, Race, Equipment, Feats, Languages, ect) of files for all of the new
                keys, or tear it apart and have it set up by GameMode or some other system?

                On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:14:59 -0600, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...>
                wrote:

                >PRECLASS:1,Fighter=x won't work with this system. (we haven't
                >converted all the main RSRD objects over to KEYs, but that will be
                >happening).
              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 8, 2007
                  On 4/8/07, Terry FitzSimons <fitzsimons@...> wrote:
                  > Hey Tir, just wondering since I am trying to maintain the
                  > globalfileskey.html for the eqmod keys, should I plan on a new series
                  > (Class, Race, Equipment, Feats, Languages, ect) of files for all of the new
                  > keys, or tear it apart and have it set up by GameMode or some other system?

                  Ah. I'd suggest setting them up by GameMode. For 3e and 35e, we will
                  try to match them up as much as possible for the SRDs so that add ons
                  can work well as possible with both.

                  The biggest section for each GameMode will become the Ability objects,
                  which I'd suggest subsorting by CATEGORY.

                  --
                  Tir Gwaith
                  PCGen LST Chimp