Re: French translation

  • kernelmsru
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 5:08 AM
      My programmer skills are near the absolute zero but if I may
      suggest : can't we use Gettext Portable Object (under GNU licence)?
      This would decrease translators' work.

      Once I've corrected mistakes into the I18N_FR what should I do with
      it ? Do I have to translate the sedbasefile too ?

      Best regards,

      --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "tymophil" <tymophil@...>
      wrote:

      > I think you summarized my problem Alvise...
      >
      > I have done lot of work for the 5.8.1 version, only to find that it
      > was to redone for the next one, then again for the next... I gave
      up,
      > and still use the 5.8.1 version imperfect as it is.
      >
      > I thought that the new appraoch with KEY tag would be better, but it
      > is not... The data sets files need much, too much, update and all
      too
      > often.
      >
      > And all informations in other locations are not translated at all.
      >
      > I really think we *need* a new approach.
      >
      > Not being a technical guy, I cannot say if your proposal is the best
      > method. But the present one leads nowhere, in my humble opinion.
      Even
      > the files I did a few months ago need an update... Having translated
      > data sets along the other ones is a mistake, in my opinion.
      >
      > Best regards
      >
      > --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "Alvise Nicoletti"
      > <alvise.nicoletti@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sorry guys... I was talking with Ludovic Fierville about
      translating all
      > > this stuff in Italian.
      > >
      > > Are you really using that text-editing method to translate stuff?
      Isn't
> [...]
      must be
      > > translated in a different text file containing only one language.
      > >
      > > 3) It must be done "at hand" and the procedure can't be automized.
      > >
      > > Why can't I do a simple php script that generates datasets using
      > variables
      > > instead of strings?
      > >
      > > So: the php script can take the strings from a database, the
      > database could
      > > have this structure:
      > > Table languages:
      > > COLUMN LANG_KEY-> 1,2,3,4 and so on
      > > COLUMN LANGUAGE-> official, english, italian, french, and so on
      > >
      > > Table Translations:
      > > COLUMN TRANS_KEY -> 1,2,3,4 and so on
      > > COLUMN WORD -> strength, strength, forza, force
      > > COLUMN LANG_KEY -> 1,2,3,4
      > >
      > > And so on with every word meaning (word meaning doesn't means
      word) in
      > > Dungeons&Dragons.
      > >
      > > We can easily do a script to generate automatically vocabularies
      for
      > > everything in that way, and change the wrong-translated words
      (like
      > feats
      > > and skills that something changes between english and translation)
      > with our
      > > hands in a second round.
      > >
      > > In this way we will "create" something... in the other way I
      think that
      > > you're just doing a work that have no future :D (or will cost a
      lot
      > of work
      > > to be mantained).
      > >
      > > Of course we will do php pages that will generate translated
      > datasets for
      > > everything... it's really easy to do that and a lot of stuff can
      be
      > taken
      > > from the excel files downloadable in internet. I got excel files
      that
      > > translate all feats and skills from english to italian, with such
      > database
      > > we could just put them into the tables and enjoy the work done
      for every
      > > dynamic-generated dataset.
      > >
      > > Call me if you want some coding in that direction... in other
      cases,
      > I'm not
      > > going to translate in Italian PcGen datasets like this, I think
      it's
      > a waste
      > > of time cause the work is not usable again in the future.
      > >
      > > p.s. Instead of using php (or any other web based way) to generate
      > > dinamically the datasets, we could just give to pcgen a database
      and
      > make
      > > him connect through odbc, or maybe give to him directly xml
      generated by
      > > something else (like java of course).
      > >

      > > 2007/3/29, tymophil <tymophil@>:
      > > >
      > > > Hi kernelmsru,
      > > >
      > > > I already translated all that was to be translated in the
      I18N.zip
      > > > file. You can get the translated file in the files section.
      > > >
      > > > There are, obviously, other files to translate, but I don't
      know which
      > > > should be translated at this stage... In order to have a
      translated
      > > > file working fine with PCGen, it needs to have certain tags
      that are
      > > > specifically aimed at internalisation, and very few files seem
      to have
      > > > such tags enabled, if I unsderstood right...
      > > >
      > > > In fact, even the files in the present I18N.zip need reworking,
      as
      > > > they contain deprecated syntax and tags... A new version would
      be
      > > > nice, along with files about monsters.
      > > >
      > > > It would be nice to have the files within the PCGen.jar file :
      > > > LanguageBundle.properties (the files that translate the software
      > > > interface). But as the file is within the jar file, it is very
      painful
      > > > to translate it and test it. Because sometimes the context just
      means
      > > > that a litteral translation would give weird results.
      > > >
      > > > I would also like to have a way to translate safely the files
      within
      > > > the the system/GameModes...
      > > >
      > > > There is also an issue with the sorting of the lists for skills
      and
      > > > gear (at least) : avery annoying problem.
      > > >
      > > > There is also an issue with some files that don't support UTF-8
      format
      > > > too well, I just stumbled on the rsrd_races__animals.lst file
      that
      > > > doesn't like the first line, and has a . added at the beginning
      of the
      > > > first line...
      > > >
      > > > Be also aware that, if I understood correctly, some information
      won't
      > > > be translated at all, at least in the near future, such as the
      > > > duration of spells, as this information is used internally.
      > > >
      > > > So for the moment being, I still use the very imperfect 5.8.1
      PC Gen,
      > > > as translating the latest version is too much work for me, and
      a work
      > > > that needs to be redone with each and every new version...
      > > >
      > > > For the moment being, I wait for more informations about what
      could be
      > > > translated...
      > > >
      > > > Best regards.
      > > >
      > > > --- In
      > pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com<pcgen_international%
      40yahoogroups.com>,

      > with him.

      > crois que
      > Je te
      > instentanée.

    • tymophil
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 10:08 AM
        --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "kernelmsru"
        <lightangel@...> wrote:

        > My programmer skills are near the absolute zero but if I may
        > suggest : can't we use Gettext Portable Object (under GNU licence)?
        > This would decrease translators' work.
        >
        > Once I've corrected mistakes into the I18N_FR what should I do with
        > it ? Do I have to translate the sedbasefile too ?

        Make sure to send me the corrected file along with hints on what I did
        wrong.

        Thanks.

      • Alvise Nicoletti
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2 4:21 AM
          I am a programmer and i used java for a lot of years, however, I don't want
          to make any kind of revolution here in PcGen. I was just guessing a new and
          better approach to the translation methods... cause before translating
          Italian I want to ensure that my work worth it, I can't edit the datasets
          every time pc gen came out with a new version...

          The recent mail of Karianna makes me think that probably I have to
          write-propose less and take more responsibilities...
          ... I'm still not an official member of the PcGen team, however, I'm
          thinking about it...

          If there are other channels to talk with Aaron, make me know, until that,
          I'll continue to write at this mailing list, and, if you want, I can do a
          little project (coding it too) to make you understand better what means to
          generate static datasets "dynamically" using variables instead of constants.
          In a second time, we can assign to the variables the data that we take from
          a database, in the correct translation.

          That could be really easy to make an output demo datasheet, and a web page
          to input data from... if you want I can make it in a week, just to test it
          (I work a lot so I don't have much time).

          The only think I still have not understand is if it is legal to translate
          D&D stuff, even if the english source is rsd.

          Bye

          2007/4/1, tymophil <tymophil@...>:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > I have done lot of work for the 5.8.1 version, only to find that it
          > > > was to redone for the next one, then again for the next... I gave
          > > up,
          > > > and still use the 5.8.1 version imperfect as it is.
          > > >
          > > > I thought that the new appraoch with KEY tag would be better, but it
          > > > is not... The data sets files need much, too much, update and all
          > > too
          > > > often.
          > > >
          > > > And all informations in other locations are not translated at all.
          > > >
          > > > I really think we *need* a new approach.
          > > >
          > > > Not being a technical guy, I cannot say if your proposal is the best
          > > > method. But the present one leads nowhere, in my humble opinion.
          > > Even
          > > > the files I did a few months ago need an update... Having translated
          > > > data sets along the other ones is a mistake, in my opinion.

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2 6:43 PM
            > The only think I still have not understand is if it is legal to translate
            > D&D stuff, even if the english source is rsd.

            Under the OGL, yes. Using SRD/RSRD/MSRD, translations are 'derivative
            works' and can be used so long as the OGL is followed correctly
            (citing source, etc.)

            --
            Tir Gwaith
            PCGen LST Chimp