French translation

  • kernelmsru
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2007
      Hello,

      I applyed long ago for the french translation, but some events
      prevented me from beiging able to have enought time to make ant
      translation. In this way I'd like to apologize for this delay.
      Second thing, I think I can manage to have some hours to do this
      translation. Which means I would like to syncronise my work with
      Philippe. Next lines are in french for an easier communication with him.

      Bonjour,

      Donc je voulais savoir ce que je pouvais encore apporter (je crois que
      tu as déja bien avancé) sur le projet de traduction en français. Je te
      propose donc soit on continue les conversations à ce sujet via le
      groupe de discussion, ou bien par e-mail ou par messagerie instentanée.
      Comme tu le désir.

      Lightangel
    • tymophil
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2007
        Hi kernelmsru,

        I already translated all that was to be translated in the I18N.zip
        file. You can get the translated file in the files section.

        There are, obviously, other files to translate, but I don't know which
        should be translated at this stage... In order to have a translated
        file working fine with PCGen, it needs to have certain tags that are
        specifically aimed at internalisation, and very few files seem to have
        such tags enabled, if I unsderstood right...

        In fact, even the files in the present I18N.zip need reworking, as
        they contain deprecated syntax and tags... A new version would be
        nice, along with files about monsters.

        It would be nice to have the files within the PCGen.jar file :
        LanguageBundle.properties (the files that translate the software
        interface). But as the file is within the jar file, it is very painful
        to translate it and test it. Because sometimes the context just means
        that a litteral translation would give weird results.

        I would also like to have a way to translate safely the files within
        the the system/GameModes...

        There is also an issue with the sorting of the lists for skills and
        gear (at least) : avery annoying problem.

        There is also an issue with some files that don't support UTF-8 format
        too well, I just stumbled on the rsrd_races__animals.lst file that
        doesn't like the first line, and has a . added at the beginning of the
        first line...

        Be also aware that, if I understood correctly, some information won't
        be translated at all, at least in the near future, such as the
        duration of spells, as this information is used internally.

        So for the moment being, I still use the very imperfect 5.8.1 PC Gen,
        as translating the latest version is too much work for me, and a work
        that needs to be redone with each and every new version...

        For the moment being, I wait for more informations about what could be
        translated...

        Best regards.

        --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "kernelmsru"
        <lightangel@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I applyed long ago for the french translation, but some events
        > prevented me from beiging able to have enought time to make ant
        > translation. In this way I'd like to apologize for this delay.
        > Second thing, I think I can manage to have some hours to do this
        > translation. Which means I would like to syncronise my work with
        > Philippe. Next lines are in french for an easier communication with him.
        >
        > Bonjour,
        >
        > Donc je voulais savoir ce que je pouvais encore apporter (je crois que
        > tu as déja bien avancé) sur le projet de traduction en français. Je te
        > propose donc soit on continue les conversations à ce sujet via le
        > groupe de discussion, ou bien par e-mail ou par messagerie instentanée.
        > Comme tu le désir.
        >
        > Lightangel

      • Alvise Nicoletti
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2007
          Sorry guys... I was talking with Ludovic Fierville about translating all
          this stuff in Italian.

          Are you really using that text-editing method to translate stuff? Isn't
          really very un-reliable?

          1) Doing this work, makes all very un-usable in the future, cause the
          translations are "hardcoded" into files that "one-day-may-change" and can be
          personalized.

          2) Doing this work, makes the translation a one-way translation
          (english-french, english-italian, and so on) so every dataset must be
          translated in a different text file containing only one language.

          3) It must be done "at hand" and the procedure can't be automized.

          Why can't I do a simple php script that generates datasets using variables
          instead of strings?

          So: the php script can take the strings from a database, the database could
          have this structure:
          Table languages:
          COLUMN LANG_KEY-> 1,2,3,4 and so on
          COLUMN LANGUAGE-> official, english, italian, french, and so on

          Table Translations:
          COLUMN TRANS_KEY -> 1,2,3,4 and so on
          COLUMN WORD -> strength, strength, forza, force
          COLUMN LANG_KEY -> 1,2,3,4

          And so on with every word meaning (word meaning doesn't means word) in
          Dungeons&Dragons.

          We can easily do a script to generate automatically vocabularies for
          everything in that way, and change the wrong-translated words (like feats
          and skills that something changes between english and translation) with our
          hands in a second round.

          In this way we will "create" something... in the other way I think that
          you're just doing a work that have no future :D (or will cost a lot of work
          to be mantained).

          Of course we will do php pages that will generate translated datasets for
          everything... it's really easy to do that and a lot of stuff can be taken
          from the excel files downloadable in internet. I got excel files that
          translate all feats and skills from english to italian, with such a database
          we could just put them into the tables and enjoy the work done for every
          dynamic-generated dataset.

          Call me if you want some coding in that direction... in other cases, I'm not
          going to translate in Italian PcGen datasets like this, I think it's a waste
          of time cause the work is not usable again in the future.

          p.s. Instead of using php (or any other web based way) to generate
          dinamically the datasets, we could just give to pcgen a database and make
          him connect through odbc, or maybe give to him directly xml generated by
          something else (like java of course).

          2007/3/29, tymophil <tymophil@...>:

> [...]
          > "kernelmsru"
          > <lightangel@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I applyed long ago for the french translation, but some events
          > > prevented me from beiging able to have enought time to make ant
          > > translation. In this way I'd like to apologize for this delay.
          > > Second thing, I think I can manage to have some hours to do this
          > > translation. Which means I would like to syncronise my work with
          > > Philippe. Next lines are in french for an easier communication with him.
          > >
          > > Bonjour,
          > >
          > > Donc je voulais savoir ce que je pouvais encore apporter (je crois que
          > > tu as déja bien avancé) sur le projet de traduction en français. Je te
          > > propose donc soit on continue les conversations à ce sujet via le
          > > groupe de discussion, ou bien par e-mail ou par messagerie instentanée.

        • tymophil
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2007
            I think you summarized my problem Alvise...

            I have done lot of work for the 5.8.1 version, only to find that it
            was to redone for the next one, then again for the next... I gave up,
            and still use the 5.8.1 version imperfect as it is.

            I thought that the new appraoch with KEY tag would be better, but it
            is not... The data sets files need much, too much, update and all too
            often.

            And all informations in other locations are not translated at all.

            I really think we *need* a new approach.

            Not being a technical guy, I cannot say if your proposal is the best
            method. But the present one leads nowhere, in my humble opinion. Even
            the files I did a few months ago need an update... Having translated
            data sets along the other ones is a mistake, in my opinion.

            Best regards

            --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "Alvise Nicoletti"
            <alvise.nicoletti@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > <lightangel@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > I applyed long ago for the french translation, but some events
            > > > prevented me from beiging able to have enought time to make ant
            > > > translation. In this way I'd like to apologize for this delay.
            > > > Second thing, I think I can manage to have some hours to do this
            > > > translation. Which means I would like to syncronise my work with
            > > > Philippe. Next lines are in french for an easier communication
            with him.

            > > > Bonjour,
            > > >
            > > > Donc je voulais savoir ce que je pouvais encore apporter (je
            crois que
            > > > tu as déja bien avancé) sur le projet de traduction en français.
            Je te
            > > > propose donc soit on continue les conversations à ce sujet via le
            > > > groupe de discussion, ou bien par e-mail ou par messagerie

          • kernelmsru
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 5:08 AM
              My programmer skills are near the absolute zero but if I may
              suggest : can't we use Gettext Portable Object (under GNU licence)?
              This would decrease translators' work.

              Once I've corrected mistakes into the I18N_FR what should I do with
              it ? Do I have to translate the sedbasefile too ?

              Best regards,

              --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "tymophil" <tymophil@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              format
              > > > too well, I just stumbled on the rsrd_races__animals.lst file
              that
              > > > doesn't like the first line, and has a . added at the beginning
              of the
              > > > first line...
              > > >
              > > > Be also aware that, if I understood correctly, some information
              won't
              > > > be translated at all, at least in the near future, such as the
              > > > duration of spells, as this information is used internally.
              > > >
              > > > So for the moment being, I still use the very imperfect 5.8.1
              PC Gen,
              > > > as translating the latest version is too much work for me, and
              a work
              > > > that needs to be redone with each and every new version...
              > > >
              > > > For the moment being, I wait for more informations about what

            • tymophil
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1 10:08 AM
                <lightangel@...> wrote:

                > My programmer skills are near the absolute zero but if I may
                > suggest : can't we use Gettext Portable Object (under GNU licence)?
                > This would decrease translators' work.
                >
                > Once I've corrected mistakes into the I18N_FR what should I do with
                > it ? Do I have to translate the sedbasefile too ?

                Make sure to send me the corrected file along with hints on what I did
                wrong.

                Thanks.

              • Alvise Nicoletti
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2 4:21 AM
                  I am a programmer and i used java for a lot of years, however, I don't want
                  to make any kind of revolution here in PcGen. I was just guessing a new and
                  better approach to the translation methods... cause before translating
                  Italian I want to ensure that my work worth it, I can't edit the datasets
                  every time pc gen came out with a new version...

                  The recent mail of Karianna makes me think that probably I have to
                  write-propose less and take more responsibilities...
                  ... I'm still not an official member of the PcGen team, however, I'm
                  thinking about it...

                  If there are other channels to talk with Aaron, make me know, until that,
                  I'll continue to write at this mailing list, and, if you want, I can do a
                  little project (coding it too) to make you understand better what means to
                  generate static datasets "dynamically" using variables instead of constants.
                  In a second time, we can assign to the variables the data that we take from
                  a database, in the correct translation.

                  That could be really easy to make an output demo datasheet, and a web page
                  to input data from... if you want I can make it in a week, just to test it
                  (I work a lot so I don't have much time).

                  The only think I still have not understand is if it is legal to translate
                  D&D stuff, even if the english source is rsd.

                  Bye

                  2007/4/1, tymophil <tymophil@...>:

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > I have done lot of work for the 5.8.1 version, only to find that it
                  > > > was to redone for the next one, then again for the next... I gave
                  > > up,
                  > > > and still use the 5.8.1 version imperfect as it is.
                  > > >
                  > > > I thought that the new appraoch with KEY tag would be better, but it
                  > > > is not... The data sets files need much, too much, update and all
                  > > too
                  > > > often.
                  > > >
                  > > > And all informations in other locations are not translated at all.
                  > > >
                  > > > I really think we *need* a new approach.
                  > > >
                  > > > Not being a technical guy, I cannot say if your proposal is the best
                  > > > method. But the present one leads nowhere, in my humble opinion.
                  > > Even
                  > > > the files I did a few months ago need an update... Having translated
                  > > > data sets along the other ones is a mistake, in my opinion.

                • Tir Gwaith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2 6:43 PM
                    > The only think I still have not understand is if it is legal to translate
                    > D&D stuff, even if the english source is rsd.

                    Under the OGL, yes. Using SRD/RSRD/MSRD, translations are 'derivative
                    works' and can be used so long as the OGL is followed correctly
                    (citing source, etc.)

                    --
                    Tir Gwaith
                    PCGen LST Chimp