Re: [pcgen_international] Copyright issues

  • Sergio Senosiain
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2007
      Thanks for your answer but i'm still in doubt, that were not the main issue.
      I mean, i know i can legally translate the RSRD, but can i use in the
      translation exactly the same skills, equipments, races, feats, etc names
      that translated PHB, DMG and MM use?

      Dale rienda suelta a tu tiempo libre. Mil ideas para exprimir tu ocio con
      MSN Entretenimiento. http://entretenimiento.msn.es/
    • Frank Kliewe
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2007
        On 3/26/07, Sergio Senosiain <seseca@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for your answer but i'm still in doubt, that were not the main issue.
        > I mean, i know i can legally translate the RSRD, but can i use in the
        > translation exactly the same skills, equipments, races, feats, etc names
        > that translated PHB, DMG and MM use?

        You'll need to do your own translation of the terms used in the RSRD.
        I think the translation that is used in the books is part of the
        copyrighted material of the publisher who holds the rights to D&D, so
        you cannot use it.

        With the books you will run into 2 problems where it comes to translation:

        - 1st there are some names that are not Open Game Content in the form
        they are used in the book, but have been renamed in the english RSRD.
        They need to have different names in your translation as well.

        - 2nd Some translations in the books will not be literal translations,
        but will use some freedom to better keep the spirit of the genre in
        your language. As the translation in the books is part of non-open
        material, you cannot use these terms but will have to come up with
        your own translation.

        What you should do is translate the RSRD using your own words, and
        where a feat or a skill then is the same as in the official
        translation you can use that, but you will end up with quite a few
        differences in names beween your own and the official translation.

        Cheerio,

        Frank Kliewe
        PCGen Content Silverback

        --
        I don't make things difficult. That's the way they get, all by themselves.
        (Martin Riggs in "Lethal Weapon", 1986)
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2007
          Put the PHB, DMG and MM away and only use the RSRD. Those 3 books aren't
          open content, so you can't translate from them...unless, of course, you get
          a license from WotC to do that. The RSRD is open content, so you can
          translate from that.

          Paul W. King
          PR SB, BoD

          ===
          Thanks for your answer but i'm still in doubt, that were not the main issue.
          I mean, i know i can legally translate the RSRD, but can i use in the
          translation exactly the same skills, equipments, races, feats, etc names
          that translated PHB, DMG and MM use?

        • seseca
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27, 2007
            Thanks a lot, perfectly clear now.