Re: [pcgen_international] Copyright issues

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26 9:23 AM
      The RSRD is distributed in English. If you wish to translate to Spanish, you are free to do so, as long as you follow the OGL in doing so. Section 1b states that translations are considered derivative material.

      Does that help?

      Paul W. King
      PR SB, BoD
    • Sergio Senosiain
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26 2:04 PM
        Thanks for your answer but i'm still in doubt, that were not the main issue.
        I mean, i know i can legally translate the RSRD, but can i use in the
        translation exactly the same skills, equipments, races, feats, etc names
        that translated PHB, DMG and MM use?

        Dale rienda suelta a tu tiempo libre. Mil ideas para exprimir tu ocio con
        MSN Entretenimiento. http://entretenimiento.msn.es/
      • Frank Kliewe
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26 3:03 PM
          On 3/26/07, Sergio Senosiain <seseca@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for your answer but i'm still in doubt, that were not the main issue.
          > I mean, i know i can legally translate the RSRD, but can i use in the
          > translation exactly the same skills, equipments, races, feats, etc names
          > that translated PHB, DMG and MM use?

          You'll need to do your own translation of the terms used in the RSRD.
          I think the translation that is used in the books is part of the
          copyrighted material of the publisher who holds the rights to D&D, so
          you cannot use it.

          With the books you will run into 2 problems where it comes to translation:

          - 1st there are some names that are not Open Game Content in the form
          they are used in the book, but have been renamed in the english RSRD.
          They need to have different names in your translation as well.

          - 2nd Some translations in the books will not be literal translations,
          but will use some freedom to better keep the spirit of the genre in
          your language. As the translation in the books is part of non-open
          material, you cannot use these terms but will have to come up with
          your own translation.

          What you should do is translate the RSRD using your own words, and
          where a feat or a skill then is the same as in the official
          translation you can use that, but you will end up with quite a few
          differences in names beween your own and the official translation.

          Cheerio,

          Frank Kliewe
          PCGen Content Silverback

          --
          I don't make things difficult. That's the way they get, all by themselves.
          (Martin Riggs in "Lethal Weapon", 1986)
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26 3:49 PM
            Put the PHB, DMG and MM away and only use the RSRD. Those 3 books aren't
            open content, so you can't translate from them...unless, of course, you get
            a license from WotC to do that. The RSRD is open content, so you can
            translate from that.

            Paul W. King
            PR SB, BoD

            ===
            Thanks for your answer but i'm still in doubt, that were not the main issue.
            I mean, i know i can legally translate the RSRD, but can i use in the
            translation exactly the same skills, equipments, races, feats, etc names
            that translated PHB, DMG and MM use?

          • seseca
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27 1:51 AM
              Thanks a lot, perfectly clear now.