Re: Maybe usefull

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
      > Hi,
      > Yes, i've already have started translation. I'm making "sed files"
      > like the one in the files section. Am i wrong?

      I'm not sure, Aaron will know :), but in the mean time keep going :)

      > I saw in the forum
      > something about separated files and "keys" for the strings to
      > traslate but the conversation didn't end... so i am doing this:
      > I've used the script i posted to get different files each one
      > with the "sed file" format.
      > Then i'm using player's handbook and DM guide in spanish to look
      > for the translation as far as i can.

      Ah, this is where you will have to be careful, we don't actually use
      (and cannot legally translate) the PHB and DMG. We use the SRD, which
      the PHB and DMG are based off but without the special names etc that
      WotC uses (e.g. Tenser's Floating Disc)

      > I'am traslating the feats file and i've traslated previous ones
      > in alphabetical order. I've also traslated skills file, so if anyone
      > wants to help or to revise sed files...
      >
      > I've also read in the forum the german traslator, bern, wanted to do
      > google searchs to automatic translations, (for spanish is not useful
      > cause the translation in google is very bad) but sometime ago i made
      > a java class sending data to an url and then reading the answer from
      > it, so if anyone wants to adapt it, i will send it...

      Please do, send it in to the files section here, sounds like a useful
      tool.

      Hopefully Aaron will be along shortly to add some further direction to
      this :)

    • boomer70
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2007
        Hi all,

        First sorry it has taken so long to get back to
        everyone. I have been dealing with some health and
        work issues and haven't been online much. Hopefully
        that will start to change.

        --- Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

        > > Hi,
        > > Yes, i've already have started translation. I'm
        > making "sed files"
        > > like the one in the files section. Am i wrong?
        >
        > I'm not sure, Aaron will know :), but in the mean
        > time keep going :)

        For the time being that will be fine. We still need
        to improve the process for doing translations but at
        least if we get the data translated we can reformat it
        into a more translator-friendly method.

        > > I saw in the forum
        > > something about separated files and "keys" for the
        > strings to
        > > traslate but the conversation didn't end... so i
        > am doing this:
        > > I've used the script i posted to get different
        > files each one
        > > with the "sed file" format.
        > > Then i'm using player's handbook and DM guide
        > in spanish to look
        > > for the translation as far as i can.
        >
        > Ah, this is where you will have to be careful, we
        > don't actually use
        > (and cannot legally translate) the PHB and DMG. We
        > use the SRD, which
        > the PHB and DMG are based off but without the
        > special names etc that
        > WotC uses (e.g. Tenser's Floating Disc)

        Also note that the translation itself may be a
        copyrighted work. In order to be truely safe about
        this you should do the translation without reference
        to those works.

        > > I'am traslating the feats file and i've
        > traslated previous ones
        > > in alphabetical order. I've also traslated skills
        > file, so if anyone
        > > wants to help or to revise sed files...
        > >
        > > I've also read in the forum the german traslator,
        > bern, wanted to do
        > > google searchs to automatic translations, (for
        > spanish is not useful
        > > cause the translation in google is very bad) but
        > sometime ago i made
        > > a java class sending data to an url and then
        > reading the answer from
        > > it, so if anyone wants to adapt it, i will send
        > it...
        >
        > Please do, send it in to the files section here,
        > sounds like a useful
        > tool.

        Yes that could be really helpful.

        > Hopefully Aaron will be along shortly to add some
        > further direction to
        > this :)

        Hopefully in the next week or so we can finalize a
        process for translations that will be much simpler.

        Here is my current thoughts.

        Add a new tag to the PCC file called TRANSLATIONS.
        This will be a pipe separated list of language codes
        this data set has translations for. In the GUI there
        would be a option to select the language to load for
        that source which would default to the language set in
        preferences if possible.

        There would be a file translation_<language_code>
        which would contain all the translated text for the
        data set.

        The format of the file will be:
        <OBJECTTYPE>|<KEY>|<FIELD>|Text

        So for example to translate the description of an
        ability like Agility it would be
        ABILITY|Agility|DESC|translated text.

        We could fairly easily generate a skeleton file from
        the dataset and just have the translator work from
        that.

        This of course will require some code change so it
        wouldn't happen right away.

        -Aaron

        PCGen Docs 2nd, Data Chimp, Code Chimp, Doc Tamarin