RE: [pcgen_international] Re: Maybe usefull

  • Sergio Senosiain
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
      Hi,
      Yes, i've already have started translation. I'm making "sed files" like
      the one in the files section. Am i wrong? I saw in the forum something about
      separated files and "keys" for the strings to traslate but the conversation
      didn't end... so i am doing this:
      I've used the script i posted to get different files each one with the
      "sed file" format.
      Then i'm using player's handbook and DM guide in spanish to look for the
      translation as far as i can.

      I'am traslating the feats file and i've traslated previous ones in
      alphabetical order. I've also traslated skills file, so if anyone wants to
      help or to revise sed files...

      I've also read in the forum the german traslator, bern, wanted to do
      google searchs to automatic translations, (for spanish is not useful cause
      the translation in google is very bad) but sometime ago i made a java class
      sending data to an url and then reading the answer from it, so if anyone
      wants to adapt it, i will send it...

      Thanks,

      Sergio

      Un amor, una aventura, compañía para un viaje. Regístrate gratis en MSN Amor
      & Amistad. http://match.msn.es/match/mt.cfm?pg=channel&tcid=162349
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
        Anyone who hadn't been contacted before :). I'm not sure where Aaron
        is at the moment, he's probably on holiday and I didn't note it down.

        pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com<pcgen_international%40yahoogroups.com>,

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
          > Hi,
          > Yes, i've already have started translation. I'm making "sed files"
          > like the one in the files section. Am i wrong?

          I'm not sure, Aaron will know :), but in the mean time keep going :)

          > I saw in the forum
          > something about separated files and "keys" for the strings to
          > traslate but the conversation didn't end... so i am doing this:
          > I've used the script i posted to get different files each one
          > with the "sed file" format.
          > Then i'm using player's handbook and DM guide in spanish to look
          > for the translation as far as i can.

          Ah, this is where you will have to be careful, we don't actually use
          (and cannot legally translate) the PHB and DMG. We use the SRD, which
          the PHB and DMG are based off but without the special names etc that
          WotC uses (e.g. Tenser's Floating Disc)

          > I'am traslating the feats file and i've traslated previous ones
          > in alphabetical order. I've also traslated skills file, so if anyone
          > wants to help or to revise sed files...
          >
          > I've also read in the forum the german traslator, bern, wanted to do
          > google searchs to automatic translations, (for spanish is not useful
          > cause the translation in google is very bad) but sometime ago i made
          > a java class sending data to an url and then reading the answer from
          > it, so if anyone wants to adapt it, i will send it...

          Please do, send it in to the files section here, sounds like a useful
          tool.

          Hopefully Aaron will be along shortly to add some further direction to
          this :)

        • boomer70
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2007
            Hi all,

            First sorry it has taken so long to get back to
            everyone. I have been dealing with some health and
            work issues and haven't been online much. Hopefully
            that will start to change.

            --- Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

            > > Hi,
            > > Yes, i've already have started translation. I'm
            > making "sed files"
            > > like the one in the files section. Am i wrong?
            >
            > I'm not sure, Aaron will know :), but in the mean
            > time keep going :)

            For the time being that will be fine. We still need
            to improve the process for doing translations but at
            least if we get the data translated we can reformat it
            into a more translator-friendly method.

            > > I saw in the forum
            > > something about separated files and "keys" for the
            > strings to
            > > traslate but the conversation didn't end... so i
            > am doing this:
            > > I've used the script i posted to get different
            > files each one
            > > with the "sed file" format.
            > > Then i'm using player's handbook and DM guide
            > in spanish to look
            > > for the translation as far as i can.
            >
            > Ah, this is where you will have to be careful, we
            > don't actually use
            > (and cannot legally translate) the PHB and DMG. We
            > use the SRD, which
            > the PHB and DMG are based off but without the
            > special names etc that
            > WotC uses (e.g. Tenser's Floating Disc)

            Also note that the translation itself may be a
            copyrighted work. In order to be truely safe about
            this you should do the translation without reference
            to those works.

            > > I'am traslating the feats file and i've
            > traslated previous ones
            > > in alphabetical order. I've also traslated skills
            > file, so if anyone
            > > wants to help or to revise sed files...
            > >
            > > I've also read in the forum the german traslator,
            > bern, wanted to do
            > > google searchs to automatic translations, (for
            > spanish is not useful
            > > cause the translation in google is very bad) but
            > sometime ago i made
            > > a java class sending data to an url and then
            > reading the answer from
            > > it, so if anyone wants to adapt it, i will send
            > it...
            >
            > Please do, send it in to the files section here,
            > sounds like a useful
            > tool.

            Yes that could be really helpful.

            > Hopefully Aaron will be along shortly to add some
            > further direction to
            > this :)

            Hopefully in the next week or so we can finalize a
            process for translations that will be much simpler.

            Here is my current thoughts.

            Add a new tag to the PCC file called TRANSLATIONS.
            This will be a pipe separated list of language codes
            this data set has translations for. In the GUI there
            would be a option to select the language to load for
            that source which would default to the language set in
            preferences if possible.

            There would be a file translation_<language_code>
            which would contain all the translated text for the
            data set.

            The format of the file will be:
            <OBJECTTYPE>|<KEY>|<FIELD>|Text

            So for example to translate the description of an
            ability like Agility it would be
            ABILITY|Agility|DESC|translated text.

            We could fairly easily generate a skeleton file from
            the dataset and just have the translator work from
            that.

            This of course will require some code change so it
            wouldn't happen right away.

            -Aaron

            PCGen Docs 2nd, Data Chimp, Code Chimp, Doc Tamarin