Re: [pcgen_international] Re: Maybe usefull

  • Alvise Nicoletti
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
      Was that message for me?

      I proposed myself for Italian translation.

      2007/3/14, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...>:

      > Hi There,
      >
      > I don't think you've been contacted directly yet, so my apologies for
      > that. Welcome to PCGen! If you're already beginning to do
      > translation and would like to start seeing that appear in PCGen you'll
      > need to join the project properly at sourceforge.
      >
      > Send me an email and I'll get you started.
      >
      > Thanks for offering to help!

      > --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com<pcgen_international%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "seseca" <seseca@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello i'am using this perl script to get the strings file by file:
      > > #
      > > # \perl\getsedfile.pl
      > > #
      > > # begin
      > > while (<>) {
      > > while (m/(TRANSLATE_[^\t]*)/) {
      > > $c = $1;
      > > chomp $c;
      > > print "s/$c/$c/g\n" if not defined $h{$c};
      > > $h{$c} = 1;
      > > s/TRANSLATE_[^\t]*//;
      > > }
      > > }
      > > # end
      > >
      > > this way i get the strings "in a proper order" and they'll not repeat
      > > (in a same file). There are similar strings in different files with
      > > different translations. Example: TRANSLATE_War in NPC means (War)
      > > rrior, in Spanish, (Comb)atiente. In magic domains means War
      > > (domain), in spanish should be "Guerra".

    • Sergio Senosiain
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
        Yes, i've already have started translation. I'm making "sed files" like
        the one in the files section. Am i wrong? I saw in the forum something about
        separated files and "keys" for the strings to traslate but the conversation
        didn't end... so i am doing this:
        I've used the script i posted to get different files each one with the
        "sed file" format.
        Then i'm using player's handbook and DM guide in spanish to look for the
        translation as far as i can.

        I'am traslating the feats file and i've traslated previous ones in
        alphabetical order. I've also traslated skills file, so if anyone wants to
        help or to revise sed files...

        I've also read in the forum the german traslator, bern, wanted to do
        google searchs to automatic translations, (for spanish is not useful cause
        the translation in google is very bad) but sometime ago i made a java class
        sending data to an url and then reading the answer from it, so if anyone
        wants to adapt it, i will send it...

        Thanks,

        Sergio

        Un amor, una aventura, compañía para un viaje. Regístrate gratis en MSN Amor
        & Amistad. http://match.msn.es/match/mt.cfm?pg=channel&tcid=162349
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
          Anyone who hadn't been contacted before :). I'm not sure where Aaron
          is at the moment, he's probably on holiday and I didn't note it down.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
            > Hi,
            > Yes, i've already have started translation. I'm making "sed files"
            > like the one in the files section. Am i wrong?

            I'm not sure, Aaron will know :), but in the mean time keep going :)

            > I saw in the forum
            > something about separated files and "keys" for the strings to
            > traslate but the conversation didn't end... so i am doing this:
            > I've used the script i posted to get different files each one
            > with the "sed file" format.
            > Then i'm using player's handbook and DM guide in spanish to look
            > for the translation as far as i can.

            Ah, this is where you will have to be careful, we don't actually use
            (and cannot legally translate) the PHB and DMG. We use the SRD, which
            the PHB and DMG are based off but without the special names etc that
            WotC uses (e.g. Tenser's Floating Disc)

            > I'am traslating the feats file and i've traslated previous ones
            > in alphabetical order. I've also traslated skills file, so if anyone
            > wants to help or to revise sed files...
            >
            > I've also read in the forum the german traslator, bern, wanted to do
            > google searchs to automatic translations, (for spanish is not useful
            > cause the translation in google is very bad) but sometime ago i made
            > a java class sending data to an url and then reading the answer from
            > it, so if anyone wants to adapt it, i will send it...

            Please do, send it in to the files section here, sounds like a useful
            tool.

            Hopefully Aaron will be along shortly to add some further direction to
            this :)

          • boomer70
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 16, 2007
              Hi all,

              First sorry it has taken so long to get back to
              everyone. I have been dealing with some health and
              work issues and haven't been online much. Hopefully
              that will start to change.

              --- Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

              > > Hi,
              > > Yes, i've already have started translation. I'm
              > making "sed files"
              > > like the one in the files section. Am i wrong?
              >
              > I'm not sure, Aaron will know :), but in the mean
              > time keep going :)

              For the time being that will be fine. We still need
              to improve the process for doing translations but at
              least if we get the data translated we can reformat it
              into a more translator-friendly method.

              > > I saw in the forum
              > > something about separated files and "keys" for the
              > strings to
              > > traslate but the conversation didn't end... so i
              > am doing this:
              > > I've used the script i posted to get different
              > files each one
              > > with the "sed file" format.
              > > Then i'm using player's handbook and DM guide
              > in spanish to look
              > > for the translation as far as i can.
              >
              > Ah, this is where you will have to be careful, we
              > don't actually use
              > (and cannot legally translate) the PHB and DMG. We
              > use the SRD, which
              > the PHB and DMG are based off but without the
              > special names etc that
              > WotC uses (e.g. Tenser's Floating Disc)

              Also note that the translation itself may be a
              copyrighted work. In order to be truely safe about
              this you should do the translation without reference
              to those works.

              > > I'am traslating the feats file and i've
              > traslated previous ones
              > > in alphabetical order. I've also traslated skills
              > file, so if anyone
              > > wants to help or to revise sed files...
              > >
              > > I've also read in the forum the german traslator,
              > bern, wanted to do
              > > google searchs to automatic translations, (for
              > spanish is not useful
              > > cause the translation in google is very bad) but
              > sometime ago i made
              > > a java class sending data to an url and then
              > reading the answer from
              > > it, so if anyone wants to adapt it, i will send
              > it...
              >
              > Please do, send it in to the files section here,
              > sounds like a useful
              > tool.

              Yes that could be really helpful.

              > Hopefully Aaron will be along shortly to add some
              > further direction to
              > this :)

              Hopefully in the next week or so we can finalize a
              process for translations that will be much simpler.

              Here is my current thoughts.

              Add a new tag to the PCC file called TRANSLATIONS.
              This will be a pipe separated list of language codes
              this data set has translations for. In the GUI there
              would be a option to select the language to load for
              that source which would default to the language set in
              preferences if possible.

              There would be a file translation_<language_code>
              which would contain all the translated text for the
              data set.

              The format of the file will be:
              <OBJECTTYPE>|<KEY>|<FIELD>|Text

              So for example to translate the description of an
              ability like Agility it would be
              ABILITY|Agility|DESC|translated text.

              We could fairly easily generate a skeleton file from
              the dataset and just have the translator work from
              that.

              This of course will require some code change so it
              wouldn't happen right away.

              -Aaron

              PCGen Docs 2nd, Data Chimp, Code Chimp, Doc Tamarin