Re: [pcgen_international] Re: Syntax for Internationalization in Data Files

  • Aubé Philippe
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2007
      We need also a way to translate the spells attributes (area of effect,
      duration, etc.). I know they are used by the system, but we cannot have
      something in english to describe the effects and attributes of a spell.

      Now what about things such as saves abilities (STR, CON, WIS, etc.)
      names, saves names, sizes (Huge, small, tiny, etc.) ? Many informations
      outside the data sets need translation.

      Best regards.

      Philippe

      Tom Parker a écrit :

      > --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:pcgen_international%40yahoogroups.com>, boomer70
      > <boomer70@...> wrote:
      > > The second is to have a single translation file with
      > > sections. You could either manage that with some sort
      > > of CLASS: type prefix, or my preference, use a section
      > > tag to identify objects within a group much like a
      > > Windoze INI file has sections. This has the added
      > > benefit that I think it would be easy to extend to
      > > other things that need translation besides the PObject
      > > name.
      >
      > Extending this to other objects isn't hard. I mean, most of what is
      > in the LST files is actually references to other PObjects. Very
      > little is actually text that requires translation. That which does
      > require translation is generally 1:1 with an object.
      >
      > For example, say we want to modify the DESC that is attached to Alertness:
      >
      > ABILITY:CATEGORY=FEAT|Alertness|DESC=Blah Blah Blah
      >
      > The major items I see that really need modification are:
      > DISPLAYNAME
      > OUTPUTNAME
      > SPROP
      > DESC
      > TEMPDESC
      > *This assumes SAs go away and become Abilities with DESCs
      >
      > There are probably a few more items that are TextProperties,
      > especially before your spell changes go through, but not that much.
      >
      > The first two could address fields, the last three objects. Now this
      > may only work in CDOM, not in 5.11, since items aren't as clean in
      > hierarchy today. It would also require that each translatable tag
      > only appear once - not sure if we can reasonably make that limitation
      > or not... needs to be investigated further.
      >
      > Of course, the sectioned document thing could work the same way, as
      > the addressing really is just off the key, so it could just as easily be:
      >
      > [ABILITY]
      > CATEGORY=FEAT|Alertness=Alterness
      > CATEGORY=FEAT|Alertness|DESC=AlternessDescription
      >
      > I prefer using the prefix tag (even though it's more verbose), because
      > it keeps the loader stateless (no need to know if it's modifying FEATs
      > or CLASSes at any given moment).

    • Tom Parker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2007
        --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, Aubé Philippe
        <tymophil@...> wrote:
        > We need also a way to translate the spells attributes (area of effect,
        > duration, etc.). I know they are used by the system, but we cannot have
        > something in english to describe the effects and attributes of a spell.

        Spells are a whole different story at the moment due to the pending
        Spells addition (see the Wiki)... I left that out because I can't
        predict completely what it will look like :)

        > Now what about things such as saves abilities (STR, CON, WIS, etc.)
        > names, saves names, sizes (Huge, small, tiny, etc.) ? Many informations
        > outside the data sets need translation.

        So PCStat's can be addressed as well, since they are also PObjects:

        PCSTAT:Strength=TranslatedText

        I agree the Abbreviations will also need fixing, I missed that in my
        earlier 'address' list.

        PCSTAT:Strength|ABB=FAS

        Sizes, Movements, etc. are enumerations, and would also require some
        form of translation - since they are unique items and do not need
        sub-addressing, I didn't consider those a major problem. I'm working
        at a high level at the moment, this will have to get more detailed as
        it progresses...