Re: [pcgen_international] Problems with I18n.zip file

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
      2007/1/2, boomer70 <boomer70@...>:

      > How would everyone feel about having separate files
      > for translatable entities much like the code for the
      > application does currently? It would take some code
      > reworking but I think it would be the best way to move
      > forward. Right now we will have to keep multiple
      > datasets updated and that means international versions
      > will lag behind in terms of bug fixes etc.
      >
      > What I am thinking is having all translatable strings
      > in the data files read from a separate file. This
      > would be somewhat more work for a data set creator
      > though so I am not sure how the main data monkeys will
      > feel about it. Good news is the SB for data is German
      > so he may be sympathetic :)

      As I think i've said already (although not on this mailing list) hat
      this is the only sane way to maintain something potentially so big
      (all the datasets from all the ogl content and potentially the
      permissioned content, but a specific permission could be needed for
      these).

      But it means defining a tag that "works" for every line to be
      translated, someting like a combination of .MOD and KEY, so as to
      translate only the relevant tags (name, description, you name it)
      without touching at the mechanics and internal relationships of the
      datasets.

      Oh and Philippe, congratulations on the translations, beau boulot :)

      ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
    • boomer70
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
        --- Ludovic Fierville <lfierville@...> wrote:

        > 2007/1/2, boomer70 <boomer70@...>:
        > >

        > > How would everyone feel about having separate
        > files
        > > for translatable entities much like the code for
        > the
        > > application does currently? It would take some
        > code
        > > reworking but I think it would be the best way to
        > move
        > > forward. Right now we will have to keep multiple
        > > datasets updated and that means international
        > versions
        > > will lag behind in terms of bug fixes etc.
        > >
        > > What I am thinking is having all translatable
        > strings
        > > in the data files read from a separate file. This
        > > would be somewhat more work for a data set creator
        > > though so I am not sure how the main data monkeys
        > will
        > > feel about it. Good news is the SB for data is
        > German
        > > so he may be sympathetic :)
        > >

        > As I think i've said already (although not on this
        > mailing list) hat
        > this is the only sane way to maintain something
        > potentially so big
        > (all the datasets from all the ogl content and
        > potentially the
        > permissioned content, but a specific permission
        > could be needed for
        > these).
        >
        > But it means defining a tag that "works" for every
        > line to be
        > translated, someting like a combination of .MOD and
        > KEY, so as to
        > translate only the relevant tags (name, description,
        > you name it)
        > without touching at the mechanics and internal
        > relationships of the
        > datasets.

        I really need to brush up on my highschool level of
        french :)

        Anyway I am thinking more along the lines of something
        like this:
        The main dataset refers to a string key for items that
        are translatable. There is one file for each language
        (language/sublanguage potentially in case someone
        wants to do a Quebecquois translation :) with the
        string key and text pair. So we would have something
        like:

        CLASS:str_Classes.Name.Barbarian
        KEY:Barbarian
        HD:12
        TYPE:Base.PC
        ABB:str_Classes.Abb.Brb
        EXCLASS:Ex Barbarian
        SOURCEPAGE:ClassesI.rtf
        BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude|CL/2+2
        BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex,BASE.Will|CL/3
        BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL|TYPE=Base.REPLACE

        Then a file like rsrd_basics_eng_us.lst
        str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbarian
        str_Classes.Abb.Brb=Brb

        Then a file like rsrd_basics_fr_fr.lst
        str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbare
        str_Classes.Name.Brb=Brb

        Something like that anyway.

        -Aaron

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Frank Kliewe
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
          On 1/2/07, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

          > How would everyone feel about having separate files
          > for translatable entities much like the code for the
          > application does currently? It would take some code
          > reworking but I think it would be the best way to move
          > forward. Right now we will have to keep multiple
          > datasets updated and that means international versions
          > will lag behind in terms of bug fixes etc.
          >
          > What I am thinking is having all translatable strings
          > in the data files read from a separate file. This
          > would be somewhat more work for a data set creator
          > though so I am not sure how the main data monkeys will
          > feel about it. Good news is the SB for data is German
          > so he may be sympathetic :)
          >
          > -Aaron
          >
          > ----------------
          > Aaron Divinsky
          > PCGen Docs 2nd, Data Chimp, Code Gibbon, Doc Tamarin

          Could you elaborate on what you have in mind? I do agree that the
          foreign language files should include just the translations and a link
          to the original English object (Name or Key), so maintenance on the
          logic mostly will be done only in the original English LST file.

          A big problem will perhaps be when something in the original file gets
          totally recoded and tags with translatable content are thrown out or
          others added. Since our average Data Monkey is an English speaker, we
          can probably expect a lack of awareness for these problems to a
          certain degree, so it will likely be necessary to set up some tests if
          the number of translatable strings in the original object equals that
          in the translation file.

          OTOH it would take a lot of talking to have me agree to strip the
          original English strings off the LST files to put them in a seperate
          English language file, if that is what you have in mind. These files
          can be hard to read, and even more so with cryptic text strings
          instead of original output text. Remember that our files work double
          shifts as examples for newbies. :)

          Cheerio,

          Frank Kliewe
          PCGen Content Silverback

          --
          Why are there people like Frank?
          (Jeffrey Beaumont in Blue Velvet, 1985)
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
            Frank, I agree with you ; English should be the "default" language, because :
            - right now, PCGen is quite successful while being nearly only
            english-speaking oriented ;
            - it minimizes the amount of work needing to be done on the lst files ;
            - it minimizes the number of files distributed ;
            - it keeps things fairly simple for beginners, and that's a key to success :)

            That's why I had something like a .MOD in mind.

            To use the example from Aaron, it would be something like this :

            Original (english) file :
            CLASS:str_Classes.Name.Barbarian
            str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbarian
            KEY:Barbarian
            HD:12
            TYPE:Base.PC
            ABB:str_Classes.Abb.Brb
            EXCLASS:Ex Barbarian
            SOURCEPAGE:ClassesI.rtf
            BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude|CL/2+2
            BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex,BASE.Will|CL/3
            BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL|TYPE=Base.REPLACE

            French translation file :
            str_Classes.Name.Barbarian.MOD<tab>
            str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbare

            Unfortunately, I'm not so fluent in Java as to estimate the amount of
            work needed to do something like this. and of course, I don't know is
            the .MOD tag can actually do something like this ; perhaps a new tag
            (for example TRANSLATE) would be needed to do that.

            Oh, and the utf-8 issue with how PCGen recognize the "#" caracter (at
            least in the Skills list) should be addressed, as it is it's
            impossible to put commentaries in utf-8 lst files (I suppose it
            affects each and every part of the program, but it's mainly noticeable
            in the Skills screen).

            I'm more than willing to help testing all this, and of course I would
            be glad to discuss the mechanics, as long as nobody thow to much Java
            at me :)

            Ludo

          • tymophil
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
              --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:
              > --- Aubé Philippe <tymophil@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I am translating the I18N.ZIP archived files in
              > > French, and I test the
              > > result with PCGen 5.11.5.
              > >
              > > It seems that saving rsrd_skills.lst file in UTF8
              > > format results in
              > > duplicated skills on the preview screen. On the
              > > skills screen, the
              > > skills are given orders in sequence, but wih gaps
              > > between them. Appraise
              > > is given order1, while balance follows, but with
              > > order 5 ! Sometimes I
              > > even have the first line orf the file displayed as a
              > > skill, though it
              > > begins with a #. This may be related to what Ludovic
              > > pointed out...
              > > However it works fine with other files.
              > > UTF8 format being the only one accepting accents it
              > > is vital for French
              > > translation.

              My (translated) Skills.lst file doesn't work at all. Each skill is
              duplicated and the order is a mess, every skill gets a rather high
              number for its order. Even the ANSI version of the file doesn't work,
              not just the UTF8.

              All other files do use accents too, and get sorted right...

              > > rsrd_classes_npc.lst file lacks all KEY tags.
              > The files I uploaded were run from the rsrd_basics
              > directory at the time. I think the npc classes were
              > not there before. I will look at adding them.

              I have added them in my translated files, and it seems to work fine.

              > > rsrd_domains_divine.lst seems to use deprecated
              > > code...
              > > rsrd_equip.lst contains some typos in the Siege
              > > Engines block (numbers
              > > lack the fist digit).
              > Not sure if those are a script problem or in the
              > original data, I will have to look.

              I have noticed something odd in the rsrd_templates_tempmods.lst file

              Each aligned plan gets the same description, midly aligned or strongly
              aligned. Is it correct to have the same text everytime ?

              TEMPDESC:TRANSLATE_Effects of Mildly XXXXX Aligned Plane. Penalty
              applied to Skills and Turn Checks only.

              > > Nothing is correctly sorted in French. Accentuated
              > > characters are put at
              > > the end of the lists.
              > That is probably a code problem. Most of the sorting
              > uses a strict comparison which doesn't account for
              > locale based sorting. I will have to look into this.
              > > In the NPC generator lists, the classes are sorted
              > > using the KEY tag
              > > value, or so it seems.
              >
              > The NPC generator is new code and not complete yet.
              > The lists are actually not sorted at all at the moment
              > so they come out in the order retrieved (either from
              > the system or the data files).
              >

              > > I have translated 99% of the I18N.ZIP files, but I
              > > have also a
              > > translation problems. Nothing is in the French
              > > official translation of
              > > the SRD concerning Divine characters, divine spells
              > > and feats. Am I
              > > entitled to use my personal translation ?
              >
              > I have a question about the "official translation" you
              > mention. What is the license for this translation?
              > Is it released under the OGL? If not I am not sure
              > that we can use it in PCGen. We may have to use a
              > strict translation instead.

              At least what is available for download is OGL (it even has the
              english text of the license).

              http://www.asmodee.com/download/drs-1--personnage-_1.zip
              http://www.asmodee.com/download/drs-2--aventure-.zip
              http://www.asmodee.com/download/drs-3--magie-_1.zip
              http://www.asmodee.com/download/drs-4--monstres-.zip

              But it is incomplete. It doesn't mirror the whole RSRD...

              > > Will we have the monsters files to translate anytime
              > > soon ?
              > >

              > I will look into it.
              >
              > > Bets regards and happy new year
              >
              > Great news that you have translated so much of the
              > data. Can you upload what you have done so I can look
              > at it.

              I shall try right after sending this message...

              > How would everyone feel about having separate files
              > for translatable entities much like the code for the
              > application does currently? It would take some code
              > reworking but I think it would be the best way to move
              > forward. Right now we will have to keep multiple
              > datasets updated and that means international versions
              > will lag behind in terms of bug fixes etc.
              >
              > What I am thinking is having all translatable strings
              > in the data files read from a separate file. This
              > would be somewhat more work for a data set creator
              > though so I am not sure how the main data monkeys will
              > feel about it. Good news is the SB for data is German
              > so he may be sympathetic :)
              >
              > -Aaron

              I don't know what is the best method, and I guess you know better than
              me...

              Anyway, I have a request and a question. Why aren't SA to be translated ?

              Best regards

              Philippe
            • Tom Parker
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "Ludovic Fierville"
                <lfierville@...> wrote:
                > Original (english) file :
                > CLASS:str_Classes.Name.Barbarian
                > str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbarian

                My concern here is that this introduces an item without a : into the
                LST file - so this will require a special case in our file loaders. I
                think that's not what we want. It would be preferable to have
                something like:

                CLASS:Barbarian
                DISPLAY:str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbarian

                French translation file :
                str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbare

                > Oh, and the utf-8 issue with how PCGen recognize the "#" caracter (at
                > least in the Skills list) should be addressed, as it is it's
                > impossible to put commentaries in utf-8 lst files (I suppose it
                > affects each and every part of the program, but it's mainly noticeable
                > in the Skills screen).

                (I think) I discovered what this is over the holidays, so (I think) I
                know how to fix it. Short version: we are comparing to the String "#"
                rather than the character '#'
              • Tom Parker
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 17, 2007
                  --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:
                  > > Oh, and the utf-8 issue with how PCGen recognize the "#" caracter (at
                  > > least in the Skills list) should be addressed, as it is it's
                  > > impossible to put commentaries in utf-8 lst files (I suppose it
                  > > affects each and every part of the program, but it's mainly noticeable
                  > > in the Skills screen).
                  >
                  > (I think) I discovered what this is over the holidays, so (I think) I
                  > know how to fix it. Short version: we are comparing to the String "#"
                  > rather than the character '#'

                  Sorry I forgot about this - can you try the latest build (at least SVN
                  build 1971 (grab the autobuild tomorrow)? I made a change that I
                  believe should fix the issue.

                  Thanks.

                  TP.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 18, 2007
                    I'll try to test this this Sunday. Glad to see this adressed Tom, thank you
                    :)

                    Ludo

                    2007/1/18, Tom Parker <thpr@...>:

                    > --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:
                    > > > Oh, and the utf-8 issue with how PCGen recognize the "#" caracter (at
                    > > > least in the Skills list) should be addressed, as it is it's
                    > > > impossible to put commentaries in utf-8 lst files (I suppose it
                    > > > affects each and every part of the program, but it's mainly noticeable
                    > > > in the Skills screen).
                    > >
                    > > (I think) I discovered what this is over the holidays, so (I think) I
                    > > know how to fix it. Short version: we are comparing to the String "#"
                    > > rather than the character '#'
                    >
                    > Sorry I forgot about this - can you try the latest build (at least SVN
                    > build 1971 (grab the autobuild tomorrow)? I made a change that I
                    > believe should fix the issue.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > TP.

                    ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~

                  • Aubé Philippe
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 20, 2007
                      I don't know if the problem I have with my skill.lst file is related to
                      what you talk about... I tried the 5.11.6 uploaded on 20.01.07. The
                      problem I have is still the same.

                      Here is, one more time, the description of my problem.

                      Each and every skill is duplicated on the PREVIEW tag (I get each skill
                      four times most of the times, but very few skills are not duplicated,
                      while some are only doubled or listed three times). At the end of the
                      list, I get an "extra-skill", that is the very first line of the file
                      (four times) :
                      # CVS $Revision: 415 $ $Author: eddyanthony $ -- Fri Feb 10 13:58:12
                      2006 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 555)

                      If I save the skills.lst file as an ANSI txt file, rather than an UFT8
                      file, I get the same behaviour, except that every accented character is
                      replaced by a block and the first line is not seen as skill.

                      On the SKILLS tag, I have each skill listed once, but with strange
                      numbers for the order.

                      Here is the beginning of the list : (skill name and order number)

                      Acrobatie 1
                      Art de la Magie 7
                      Artisanat (alchimie) 13
                      and so on...

                      At the beginning of the list you add 6 to get the next order, but later
                      it can be another number.

                      Could soeone test the translated DATA set I uploaded in order to see if
                      they get the same problem ?

                      Thanks.
                    • Tom Parker
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 20, 2007
                        --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, Aubé Philippe
                        <tymophil@...> wrote:
                        > Each and every skill is duplicated on the PREVIEW tag (I get each skill
                        > four times most of the times, but very few skills are not duplicated,
                        > while some are only doubled or listed three times). At the end of the
                        > list, I get an "extra-skill", that is the very first line of the file
                        > (four times) :
                        > # CVS $Revision: 415 $ $Author: eddyanthony $ -- Fri Feb 10 13:58:12
                        > 2006 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 555)

                        I believe these are two different issues (one replicating Skills, one
                        ignoring comments). I think I fixed the ignoring comments item after
                        5.11.6, so that will still display the problem. Our autobuilds are
                        available here: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php - at
                        this point those are the only compiled version that would contain that
                        fix.

                        > If I save the skills.lst file as an ANSI txt file, rather than an UFT8
                        > file, I get the same behaviour, except that every accented character is
                        > replaced by a block and the first line is not seen as skill.

                        So I just tried your dataset, but all I'm getting is blocks - how does
                        one get UTF8 files? Can you try the latest autobuild?

                        > On the SKILLS tag, I have each skill listed once, but with strange
                        > numbers for the order.

                        This is a bug related to the use of KEYS in Skills - a nasty problem
                        for you, but unrelated to internationalization in particular.

                        Trackered:
                        [ 1640467 ] Preview Pane doesn't play well with Skills that have Keys
                      • boomer70
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 20, 2007
                          --- Aubé Philippe <tymophil@...> wrote:

                          > I don't know if the problem I have with my skill.lst
                          > file is related to
                          > what you talk about... I tried the 5.11.6 uploaded
                          > on 20.01.07. The
                          > problem I have is still the same.
                          >
                          > Here is, one more time, the description of my
                          > problem.
                          >
                          > Each and every skill is duplicated on the PREVIEW
                          > tag (I get each skill
                          > four times most of the times, but very few skills
                          > are not duplicated,
                          > while some are only doubled or listed three times).
                          > At the end of the
                          > list, I get an "extra-skill", that is the very first
                          > line of the file
                          > (four times) :
                          > # CVS $Revision: 415 $ $Author: eddyanthony $ -- Fri
                          > Feb 10 13:58:12
                          > 2006 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 555)
                          >
                          > If I save the skills.lst file as an ANSI txt file,
                          > rather than an UFT8
                          > file, I get the same behaviour, except that every
                          > accented character is
                          > replaced by a block and the first line is not seen
                          > as skill.
                          >
                          > On the SKILLS tag, I have each skill listed once,
                          > but with strange
                          > numbers for the order.
                          >
                          > Here is the beginning of the list : (skill name and
                          > order number)
                          >
                          > Acrobatie 1
                          > Art de la Magie 7
                          > Artisanat (alchimie) 13
                          > and so on...
                          >
                          > At the beginning of the list you add 6 to get the
                          > next order, but later
                          > it can be another number.
                          >
                          > Could soeone test the translated DATA set I uploaded
                          > in order to see if
                          > they get the same problem ?
                          >
                          > Thanks.

                          When I tried your skills file I saw the same problem.
                          However if I recreate the file from scratch as UTF8 I
                          don't get the problem. I think the problem is
                          specific to this file. When we read it in I don't see
                          the characters as correctly translated into UTF-8
                          (which works correctly for all other files).

                          -Aaron

                          TV dinner still cooling?
                          http://tv.yahoo.com/
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 21, 2007
                            I just tested it on an UTF-8 file without KEY tags, and it works just fine
                            with the latest autobuild (I grabbed it this sunday 01/21/07 morning).

                            I converted the rsrd_skills.lst, and the skills appear correctly (without
                            weird skills beginning with a #)

                            I also modified the file to add an accent (Forgery became Forgery
                            (Contrefaçon) and Hide became Hide (Discrétion)), the display is ok in the
                            Skills tab and on the Preview tab.

                            Philippe, I believe your rsrd_skills.lst file in the I18N_FR.zip archive is
                            in ASCII mode, not UTF-8 mode. The file rsrd_basic.pcc is also in ASCII, all
                            the other files are in UTF-8.

                            Now I just hope tracker 1640467 can be resolved soon, so we can start to
                            play with the files :)

                            Good work Tom,

                            Ludo

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 27, 2007
                              <lfierville@...> wrote:
                              > Now I just hope tracker 1640467 can be resolved soon, so we can start to
                              > play with the files :)

                              Fixed this morning - should make it into 5.11.7, which will be
                              released in a few days.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 27, 2007
                                Great ! then we will be able to use the files transleted bu Philippe. PCGen
                                will not be "fully" translated but it will realy suit my need. Thanks :)