Problems with I18n.zip file

  • Aubé Philippe
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
      I am translating the I18N.ZIP archived files in French, and I test the
      result with PCGen 5.11.5.

      It seems that saving rsrd_skills.lst file in UTF8 format results in
      duplicated skills on the preview screen. On the skills screen, the
      skills are given orders in sequence, but wih gaps between them. Appraise
      is given order1, while balance follows, but with order 5 ! Sometimes I
      even have the first line orf the file displayed as a skill, though it
      begins with a #. This may be related to what Ludovic pointed out...
      However it works fine with other files.
      UTF8 format being the only one accepting accents it is vital for French
      translation.

      rsrd_classes_npc.lst file lacks all KEY tags.

      rsrd_domains_divine.lst seems to use deprecated code...

      rsrd_equip.lst contains some typos in the Siege Engines block (numbers
      lack the fist digit).

      Nothing is correctly sorted in French. Accentuated characters are put at
      the end of the lists.

      In the NPC generator lists, the classes are sorted using the KEY tag
      value, or so it seems.

      I have translated 99% of the I18N.ZIP files, but I have also a
      translation problems. Nothing is in the French official translation of
      the SRD concerning Divine characters, divine spells and feats. Am I
      entitled to use my personal translation ?

      Will we have the monsters files to translate anytime soon ?

      Bets regards and happy new year
    • boomer70
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
        --- Aubé Philippe <tymophil@...> wrote:

        > I am translating the I18N.ZIP archived files in
        > French, and I test the
        > result with PCGen 5.11.5.
        >
        > It seems that saving rsrd_skills.lst file in UTF8
        > format results in
        > duplicated skills on the preview screen. On the
        > skills screen, the
        > skills are given orders in sequence, but wih gaps
        > between them. Appraise
        > is given order1, while balance follows, but with
        > order 5 ! Sometimes I
        > even have the first line orf the file displayed as a
        > skill, though it
        > begins with a #. This may be related to what Ludovic
        > pointed out...
        > However it works fine with other files.
        > UTF8 format being the only one accepting accents it
        > is vital for French
        > translation.
        >
        > rsrd_classes_npc.lst file lacks all KEY tags.

        The files I uploaded were run from the rsrd_basics
        directory at the time. I think the npc classes were
        not there before. I will look at adding them.

        > rsrd_domains_divine.lst seems to use deprecated
        > code...
        >
        > rsrd_equip.lst contains some typos in the Siege
        > Engines block (numbers
        > lack the fist digit).

        Not sure if those are a script problem or in the
        original data, I will have to look.

        > Nothing is correctly sorted in French. Accentuated
        > characters are put at
        > the end of the lists.

        That is probably a code problem. Most of the sorting
        uses a strict comparison which doesn't account for
        locale based sorting. I will have to look into this.

        > In the NPC generator lists, the classes are sorted
        > using the KEY tag
        > value, or so it seems.

        The NPC generator is new code and not complete yet.
        The lists are actually not sorted at all at the moment
        so they come out in the order retrieved (either from
        the system or the data files).

        > I have translated 99% of the I18N.ZIP files, but I
        > have also a
        > translation problems. Nothing is in the French
        > official translation of
        > the SRD concerning Divine characters, divine spells
        > and feats. Am I
        > entitled to use my personal translation ?

        I have a question about the "official translation" you
        mention. What is the license for this translation?
        Is it released under the OGL? If not I am not sure
        that we can use it in PCGen. We may have to use a
        strict translation instead.

        > Will we have the monsters files to translate anytime
        > soon ?

        I will look into it.

        > Bets regards and happy new year

        Great news that you have translated so much of the
        data. Can you upload what you have done so I can look
        at it.

        How would everyone feel about having separate files
        for translatable entities much like the code for the
        application does currently? It would take some code
        reworking but I think it would be the best way to move
        forward. Right now we will have to keep multiple
        datasets updated and that means international versions
        will lag behind in terms of bug fixes etc.

        What I am thinking is having all translatable strings
        in the data files read from a separate file. This
        would be somewhat more work for a data set creator
        though so I am not sure how the main data monkeys will
        feel about it. Good news is the SB for data is German
        so he may be sympathetic :)

        -Aaron

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
          2007/1/2, boomer70 <boomer70@...>:

          > How would everyone feel about having separate files
          > for translatable entities much like the code for the
          > application does currently? It would take some code
          > reworking but I think it would be the best way to move
          > forward. Right now we will have to keep multiple
          > datasets updated and that means international versions
          > will lag behind in terms of bug fixes etc.
          >
          > What I am thinking is having all translatable strings
          > in the data files read from a separate file. This
          > would be somewhat more work for a data set creator
          > though so I am not sure how the main data monkeys will
          > feel about it. Good news is the SB for data is German
          > so he may be sympathetic :)

          As I think i've said already (although not on this mailing list) hat
          this is the only sane way to maintain something potentially so big
          (all the datasets from all the ogl content and potentially the
          permissioned content, but a specific permission could be needed for
          these).

          But it means defining a tag that "works" for every line to be
          translated, someting like a combination of .MOD and KEY, so as to
          translate only the relevant tags (name, description, you name it)
          without touching at the mechanics and internal relationships of the
          datasets.

          Oh and Philippe, congratulations on the translations, beau boulot :)

          ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
        • boomer70
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
            --- Ludovic Fierville <lfierville@...> wrote:

            > 2007/1/2, boomer70 <boomer70@...>:
            > >

            > > How would everyone feel about having separate
            > files
            > > for translatable entities much like the code for
            > the
            > > application does currently? It would take some
            > code
            > > reworking but I think it would be the best way to
            > move
            > > forward. Right now we will have to keep multiple
            > > datasets updated and that means international
            > versions
            > > will lag behind in terms of bug fixes etc.
            > >
            > > What I am thinking is having all translatable
            > strings
            > > in the data files read from a separate file. This
            > > would be somewhat more work for a data set creator
            > > though so I am not sure how the main data monkeys
            > will
            > > feel about it. Good news is the SB for data is
            > German
            > > so he may be sympathetic :)
            > >

            > As I think i've said already (although not on this
            > mailing list) hat
            > this is the only sane way to maintain something
            > potentially so big
            > (all the datasets from all the ogl content and
            > potentially the
            > permissioned content, but a specific permission
            > could be needed for
            > these).
            >
            > But it means defining a tag that "works" for every
            > line to be
            > translated, someting like a combination of .MOD and
            > KEY, so as to
            > translate only the relevant tags (name, description,
            > you name it)
            > without touching at the mechanics and internal
            > relationships of the
            > datasets.

            I really need to brush up on my highschool level of
            french :)

            Anyway I am thinking more along the lines of something
            like this:
            The main dataset refers to a string key for items that
            are translatable. There is one file for each language
            (language/sublanguage potentially in case someone
            wants to do a Quebecquois translation :) with the
            string key and text pair. So we would have something
            like:

            CLASS:str_Classes.Name.Barbarian
            KEY:Barbarian
            HD:12
            TYPE:Base.PC
            ABB:str_Classes.Abb.Brb
            EXCLASS:Ex Barbarian
            SOURCEPAGE:ClassesI.rtf
            BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude|CL/2+2
            BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex,BASE.Will|CL/3
            BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL|TYPE=Base.REPLACE

            Then a file like rsrd_basics_eng_us.lst
            str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbarian
            str_Classes.Abb.Brb=Brb

            Then a file like rsrd_basics_fr_fr.lst
            str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbare
            str_Classes.Name.Brb=Brb

            Something like that anyway.

            -Aaron

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Frank Kliewe
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
              On 1/2/07, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

              > How would everyone feel about having separate files
              > for translatable entities much like the code for the
              > application does currently? It would take some code
              > reworking but I think it would be the best way to move
              > forward. Right now we will have to keep multiple
              > datasets updated and that means international versions
              > will lag behind in terms of bug fixes etc.
              >
              > What I am thinking is having all translatable strings
              > in the data files read from a separate file. This
              > would be somewhat more work for a data set creator
              > though so I am not sure how the main data monkeys will
              > feel about it. Good news is the SB for data is German
              > so he may be sympathetic :)
              >
              > -Aaron
              >
              > ----------------
              > Aaron Divinsky
              > PCGen Docs 2nd, Data Chimp, Code Gibbon, Doc Tamarin

              Could you elaborate on what you have in mind? I do agree that the
              foreign language files should include just the translations and a link
              to the original English object (Name or Key), so maintenance on the
              logic mostly will be done only in the original English LST file.

              A big problem will perhaps be when something in the original file gets
              totally recoded and tags with translatable content are thrown out or
              others added. Since our average Data Monkey is an English speaker, we
              can probably expect a lack of awareness for these problems to a
              certain degree, so it will likely be necessary to set up some tests if
              the number of translatable strings in the original object equals that
              in the translation file.

              OTOH it would take a lot of talking to have me agree to strip the
              original English strings off the LST files to put them in a seperate
              English language file, if that is what you have in mind. These files
              can be hard to read, and even more so with cryptic text strings
              instead of original output text. Remember that our files work double
              shifts as examples for newbies. :)

              Cheerio,

              Frank Kliewe
              PCGen Content Silverback

              --
              Why are there people like Frank?
              (Jeffrey Beaumont in Blue Velvet, 1985)
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
                Frank, I agree with you ; English should be the "default" language, because :
                - right now, PCGen is quite successful while being nearly only
                english-speaking oriented ;
                - it minimizes the amount of work needing to be done on the lst files ;
                - it minimizes the number of files distributed ;
                - it keeps things fairly simple for beginners, and that's a key to success :)

                That's why I had something like a .MOD in mind.

                To use the example from Aaron, it would be something like this :

                Original (english) file :
                CLASS:str_Classes.Name.Barbarian
                str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbarian
                KEY:Barbarian
                HD:12
                TYPE:Base.PC
                ABB:str_Classes.Abb.Brb
                EXCLASS:Ex Barbarian
                SOURCEPAGE:ClassesI.rtf
                BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude|CL/2+2
                BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex,BASE.Will|CL/3
                BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL|TYPE=Base.REPLACE

                French translation file :
                str_Classes.Name.Barbarian.MOD<tab>
                str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbare

                Unfortunately, I'm not so fluent in Java as to estimate the amount of
                work needed to do something like this. and of course, I don't know is
                the .MOD tag can actually do something like this ; perhaps a new tag
                (for example TRANSLATE) would be needed to do that.

                Oh, and the utf-8 issue with how PCGen recognize the "#" caracter (at
                least in the Skills list) should be addressed, as it is it's
                impossible to put commentaries in utf-8 lst files (I suppose it
                affects each and every part of the program, but it's mainly noticeable
                in the Skills screen).

                I'm more than willing to help testing all this, and of course I would
                be glad to discuss the mechanics, as long as nobody thow to much Java
                at me :)

                Ludo

              • tymophil
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
                  --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:
                  > --- Aubé Philippe <tymophil@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am translating the I18N.ZIP archived files in
                  > > French, and I test the
                  > > result with PCGen 5.11.5.
                  > >
                  > > It seems that saving rsrd_skills.lst file in UTF8
                  > > format results in
                  > > duplicated skills on the preview screen. On the
                  > > skills screen, the
                  > > skills are given orders in sequence, but wih gaps
                  > > between them. Appraise
                  > > is given order1, while balance follows, but with
                  > > order 5 ! Sometimes I
                  > > even have the first line orf the file displayed as a
                  > > skill, though it
                  > > begins with a #. This may be related to what Ludovic
                  > > pointed out...
                  > > However it works fine with other files.
                  > > UTF8 format being the only one accepting accents it
                  > > is vital for French
                  > > translation.

                  My (translated) Skills.lst file doesn't work at all. Each skill is
                  duplicated and the order is a mess, every skill gets a rather high
                  number for its order. Even the ANSI version of the file doesn't work,
                  not just the UTF8.

                  All other files do use accents too, and get sorted right...

                  > > rsrd_classes_npc.lst file lacks all KEY tags.
                  > The files I uploaded were run from the rsrd_basics
                  > directory at the time. I think the npc classes were
                  > not there before. I will look at adding them.

                  I have added them in my translated files, and it seems to work fine.

                  > > rsrd_domains_divine.lst seems to use deprecated
                  > > code...
                  > > rsrd_equip.lst contains some typos in the Siege
                  > > Engines block (numbers
                  > > lack the fist digit).
                  > Not sure if those are a script problem or in the
                  > original data, I will have to look.

                  I have noticed something odd in the rsrd_templates_tempmods.lst file

                  Each aligned plan gets the same description, midly aligned or strongly
                  aligned. Is it correct to have the same text everytime ?

                  TEMPDESC:TRANSLATE_Effects of Mildly XXXXX Aligned Plane. Penalty
                  applied to Skills and Turn Checks only.

                  > > Nothing is correctly sorted in French. Accentuated
                  > > characters are put at
                  > > the end of the lists.
                  > That is probably a code problem. Most of the sorting
                  > uses a strict comparison which doesn't account for
                  > locale based sorting. I will have to look into this.
                  > > In the NPC generator lists, the classes are sorted
                  > > using the KEY tag
                  > > value, or so it seems.
                  >
                  > The NPC generator is new code and not complete yet.
                  > The lists are actually not sorted at all at the moment
                  > so they come out in the order retrieved (either from
                  > the system or the data files).
                  >

                  > > I have translated 99% of the I18N.ZIP files, but I
                  > > have also a
                  > > translation problems. Nothing is in the French
                  > > official translation of
                  > > the SRD concerning Divine characters, divine spells
                  > > and feats. Am I
                  > > entitled to use my personal translation ?
                  >
                  > I have a question about the "official translation" you
                  > mention. What is the license for this translation?
                  > Is it released under the OGL? If not I am not sure
                  > that we can use it in PCGen. We may have to use a
                  > strict translation instead.

                  At least what is available for download is OGL (it even has the
                  english text of the license).

                  http://www.asmodee.com/download/drs-1--personnage-_1.zip
                  http://www.asmodee.com/download/drs-2--aventure-.zip
                  http://www.asmodee.com/download/drs-3--magie-_1.zip
                  http://www.asmodee.com/download/drs-4--monstres-.zip

                  But it is incomplete. It doesn't mirror the whole RSRD...

                  > > Will we have the monsters files to translate anytime
                  > > soon ?
                  > >

                  > I will look into it.
                  >
                  > > Bets regards and happy new year
                  >
                  > Great news that you have translated so much of the
                  > data. Can you upload what you have done so I can look
                  > at it.

                  I shall try right after sending this message...

                  > How would everyone feel about having separate files
                  > for translatable entities much like the code for the
                  > application does currently? It would take some code
                  > reworking but I think it would be the best way to move
                  > forward. Right now we will have to keep multiple
                  > datasets updated and that means international versions
                  > will lag behind in terms of bug fixes etc.
                  >
                  > What I am thinking is having all translatable strings
                  > in the data files read from a separate file. This
                  > would be somewhat more work for a data set creator
                  > though so I am not sure how the main data monkeys will
                  > feel about it. Good news is the SB for data is German
                  > so he may be sympathetic :)
                  >
                  > -Aaron

                  I don't know what is the best method, and I guess you know better than
                  me...

                  Anyway, I have a request and a question. Why aren't SA to be translated ?

                  Best regards

                  Philippe
                • Tom Parker
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                    --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "Ludovic Fierville"
                    <lfierville@...> wrote:
                    > Original (english) file :
                    > CLASS:str_Classes.Name.Barbarian
                    > str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbarian

                    My concern here is that this introduces an item without a : into the
                    LST file - so this will require a special case in our file loaders. I
                    think that's not what we want. It would be preferable to have
                    something like:

                    CLASS:Barbarian
                    DISPLAY:str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbarian

                    French translation file :
                    str_Classes.Name.Barbarian=Barbare

                    > Oh, and the utf-8 issue with how PCGen recognize the "#" caracter (at
                    > least in the Skills list) should be addressed, as it is it's
                    > impossible to put commentaries in utf-8 lst files (I suppose it
                    > affects each and every part of the program, but it's mainly noticeable
                    > in the Skills screen).

                    (I think) I discovered what this is over the holidays, so (I think) I
                    know how to fix it. Short version: we are comparing to the String "#"
                    rather than the character '#'
                  • Tom Parker
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 17, 2007
                      --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:
                      > > Oh, and the utf-8 issue with how PCGen recognize the "#" caracter (at
                      > > least in the Skills list) should be addressed, as it is it's
                      > > impossible to put commentaries in utf-8 lst files (I suppose it
                      > > affects each and every part of the program, but it's mainly noticeable
                      > > in the Skills screen).
                      >
                      > (I think) I discovered what this is over the holidays, so (I think) I
                      > know how to fix it. Short version: we are comparing to the String "#"
                      > rather than the character '#'

                      Sorry I forgot about this - can you try the latest build (at least SVN
                      build 1971 (grab the autobuild tomorrow)? I made a change that I
                      believe should fix the issue.

                      Thanks.

                      TP.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 18, 2007
                        I'll try to test this this Sunday. Glad to see this adressed Tom, thank you
                        :)

                        Ludo

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 20, 2007
                          I don't know if the problem I have with my skill.lst file is related to
                          what you talk about... I tried the 5.11.6 uploaded on 20.01.07. The
                          problem I have is still the same.

                          Here is, one more time, the description of my problem.

                          Each and every skill is duplicated on the PREVIEW tag (I get each skill
                          four times most of the times, but very few skills are not duplicated,
                          while some are only doubled or listed three times). At the end of the
                          list, I get an "extra-skill", that is the very first line of the file
                          (four times) :
                          # CVS $Revision: 415 $ $Author: eddyanthony $ -- Fri Feb 10 13:58:12
                          2006 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 555)

                          If I save the skills.lst file as an ANSI txt file, rather than an UFT8
                          file, I get the same behaviour, except that every accented character is
                          replaced by a block and the first line is not seen as skill.

                          On the SKILLS tag, I have each skill listed once, but with strange
                          numbers for the order.

                          Here is the beginning of the list : (skill name and order number)

                          Acrobatie 1
                          Art de la Magie 7
                          Artisanat (alchimie) 13
                          and so on...

                          At the beginning of the list you add 6 to get the next order, but later
                          it can be another number.

                          Could soeone test the translated DATA set I uploaded in order to see if
                          they get the same problem ?

                          Thanks.
                        • Tom Parker
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 20, 2007
                            --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, Aubé Philippe
                            <tymophil@...> wrote:
                            > Each and every skill is duplicated on the PREVIEW tag (I get each skill
                            > four times most of the times, but very few skills are not duplicated,
                            > while some are only doubled or listed three times). At the end of the
                            > list, I get an "extra-skill", that is the very first line of the file
                            > (four times) :
                            > # CVS $Revision: 415 $ $Author: eddyanthony $ -- Fri Feb 10 13:58:12
                            > 2006 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 555)

                            I believe these are two different issues (one replicating Skills, one
                            ignoring comments). I think I fixed the ignoring comments item after
                            5.11.6, so that will still display the problem. Our autobuilds are
                            available here: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php - at
                            this point those are the only compiled version that would contain that
                            fix.

                            > If I save the skills.lst file as an ANSI txt file, rather than an UFT8
                            > file, I get the same behaviour, except that every accented character is
                            > replaced by a block and the first line is not seen as skill.

                            So I just tried your dataset, but all I'm getting is blocks - how does
                            one get UTF8 files? Can you try the latest autobuild?

                            > On the SKILLS tag, I have each skill listed once, but with strange
                            > numbers for the order.

                            This is a bug related to the use of KEYS in Skills - a nasty problem
                            for you, but unrelated to internationalization in particular.

                            Trackered:
                            [ 1640467 ] Preview Pane doesn't play well with Skills that have Keys
                          • boomer70
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 20, 2007
                              --- Aubé Philippe <tymophil@...> wrote:

                              > I don't know if the problem I have with my skill.lst
                              > file is related to
                              > what you talk about... I tried the 5.11.6 uploaded
                              > on 20.01.07. The
                              > problem I have is still the same.
                              >
                              > Here is, one more time, the description of my
                              > problem.
                              >
                              > Each and every skill is duplicated on the PREVIEW
                              > tag (I get each skill
                              > four times most of the times, but very few skills
                              > are not duplicated,
                              > while some are only doubled or listed three times).
                              > At the end of the
                              > list, I get an "extra-skill", that is the very first
                              > line of the file
                              > (four times) :
                              > # CVS $Revision: 415 $ $Author: eddyanthony $ -- Fri
                              > Feb 10 13:58:12
                              > 2006 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 555)
                              >
                              > If I save the skills.lst file as an ANSI txt file,
                              > rather than an UFT8
                              > file, I get the same behaviour, except that every
                              > accented character is
                              > replaced by a block and the first line is not seen
                              > as skill.
                              >
                              > On the SKILLS tag, I have each skill listed once,
                              > but with strange
                              > numbers for the order.
                              >
                              > Here is the beginning of the list : (skill name and
                              > order number)
                              >
                              > Acrobatie 1
                              > Art de la Magie 7
                              > Artisanat (alchimie) 13
                              > and so on...
                              >
                              > At the beginning of the list you add 6 to get the
                              > next order, but later
                              > it can be another number.
                              >
                              > Could soeone test the translated DATA set I uploaded
                              > in order to see if
                              > they get the same problem ?
                              >
                              > Thanks.

                              When I tried your skills file I saw the same problem.
                              However if I recreate the file from scratch as UTF8 I
                              don't get the problem. I think the problem is
                              specific to this file. When we read it in I don't see
                              the characters as correctly translated into UTF-8
                              (which works correctly for all other files).

                              -Aaron

                              TV dinner still cooling?
                              http://tv.yahoo.com/
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 21, 2007
                                I just tested it on an UTF-8 file without KEY tags, and it works just fine
                                with the latest autobuild (I grabbed it this sunday 01/21/07 morning).

                                I converted the rsrd_skills.lst, and the skills appear correctly (without
                                weird skills beginning with a #)

                                I also modified the file to add an accent (Forgery became Forgery
                                (Contrefaçon) and Hide became Hide (Discrétion)), the display is ok in the
                                Skills tab and on the Preview tab.

                                Philippe, I believe your rsrd_skills.lst file in the I18N_FR.zip archive is
                                in ASCII mode, not UTF-8 mode. The file rsrd_basic.pcc is also in ASCII, all
                                the other files are in UTF-8.

                                Now I just hope tracker 1640467 can be resolved soon, so we can start to
                                play with the files :)

                                Good work Tom,

                                Ludo

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 27, 2007
                                  <lfierville@...> wrote:
                                  > Now I just hope tracker 1640467 can be resolved soon, so we can start to
                                  > play with the files :)

                                  Fixed this morning - should make it into 5.11.7, which will be
                                  released in a few days.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 27, 2007
                                    Great ! then we will be able to use the files transleted bu Philippe. PCGen
                                    will not be "fully" translated but it will realy suit my need. Thanks :)