Questions about PC Gen for a proper translation

  • tymophil
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2006
      1. What is the (real) purpose of the OUTPUTNAME tag ?

      2. Why do duration and CASTTIME, RANGE, TARGETAREA, DURATION, SAVEINFO
      and SPELLRES are not to be translated ?

      Thanks for your answers
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 27, 2006
        > 1. What is the (real) purpose of the OUTPUTNAME tag ?

        So the author can remove/insert characters into the output sheet. For example, instead of Bull Strength (Mass), you could make it Mass Bull Strength. Or Wizards Sword can become Wizard's Sword (there was a time when the apostrophe (sp) played havoc in PCGen).

        > 2. Why do duration and CASTTIME, RANGE, TARGETAREA, DURATION,
        > SAVEINFO and SPELLRES are not to be translated ?

        The capitalized tags you have are tags PCGen understands. I don't know how dificult (I'm assuming very) it would be to have PCGen understand that whatever "range" in Spanish is equates to RANGE.

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD
      • boomer70
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2006
          --- "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>
          wrote:

          > > 1. What is the (real) purpose of the OUTPUTNAME
          > tag ?
          >
          > So the author can remove/insert characters into the
          > output sheet. For example, instead of Bull Strength
          > (Mass), you could make it Mass Bull Strength. Or
          > Wizards Sword can become Wizard's Sword (there was a
          > time when the apostrophe (sp) played havoc in
          > PCGen).
          >
          > > 2. Why do duration and CASTTIME, RANGE,
          > TARGETAREA, DURATION,
          > > SAVEINFO and SPELLRES are not to be translated ?
          >
          > The capitalized tags you have are tags PCGen
          > understands. I don't know how dificult (I'm assuming
          > very) it would be to have PCGen understand that
          > whatever "range" in Spanish is equates to RANGE.

          Assuming the question is not about the tag label but
          rather the text used with those tags the answer is
          that PCGen won't understand anything except the
          english versions. There is an open proposal to try
          and have those fields read and understood by the
          system and then we will be able to translate them.

          -Aaron

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Aubé Philippe
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2006
            boomer70 a écrit :

            > --- "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...
            > <mailto:paulking.rhochi%40verizon.net>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > > 1. What is the (real) purpose of the OUTPUTNAME
            > > tag ?
            > >
            > > So the author can remove/insert characters into the
            > > output sheet. For example, instead of Bull Strength
            > > (Mass), you could make it Mass Bull Strength. Or
            > > Wizards Sword can become Wizard's Sword (there was a
            > > time when the apostrophe (sp) played havoc in
            > > PCGen).
            > >
            > > > 2. Why do duration and CASTTIME, RANGE,
            > > TARGETAREA, DURATION,
            > > > SAVEINFO and SPELLRES are not to be translated ?
            > >
            > > The capitalized tags you have are tags PCGen
            > > understands. I don't know how dificult (I'm assuming
            > > very) it would be to have PCGen understand that
            > > whatever "range" in Spanish is equates to RANGE.
            > >

            > Assuming the question is not about the tag label but
            > rather the text used with those tags the answer is
            > that PCGen won't understand anything except the
            > english versions. There is an open proposal to try
            > and have those fields read and understood by the
            > system and then we will be able to translate them.
            >
            > -Aaron
            >
            > The question was all about the text, not the tag, sorry for being
            > unclear. So PCGen uses the values given...
            >

            > Is there any chance that other languages have the possibility to
            > display the translated version on screen and on the output sheets ?
            > With a tag such as SPELLRES_FR or with another mean..

            Thanks
          • Aubé Philippe
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
              In the rsrd_equipmods_enhancing.lst file, of the I18N.zip file, I see :

              TRANSLATE_|Ability Bonus (Enhancement)

              Should I put a | in front of the translation ?

              Something like :

              |Bonus de caractéristique (altération)

              Thanks

              PS : why are there no monster files in this archive ?