More details on some terms for translations

  • masaru20100
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012

      I'm having hard time finding a translation for Kit in Add Kit. I just looked into Pathfinder mode, and it seems to be either npc wealth, standard race traits, PC starting wealth (max or average) and spell book for wizard. So it's not kit, as in clothing, nor kit as in first-aid kit. Were other names considered? That could help translating the term.

      The other one I have difficulties with is Equipment Set. If I get it right, it's the combination of clothing and worn items. It allows to handle case like the wizard/fighter that put an heavy armour once out of spells, for example.

      Regards,
      --
      Vincent
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
        Hi Vincent,

        On 2/09/2012 12:53 AM masaru20100 wrote
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm having hard time finding a translation for Kit in Add Kit. I just looked into Pathfinder mode, and it seems to be either npc wealth, standard race traits, PC starting wealth (max or average) and spell book for wizard. So it's not kit, as in clothing, nor kit as in first-aid kit. Were other names considered? That could help translating the term.
        There is another use for kits which is to build monsters! Basically a
        kit in PCGen terms is a collection of rules objects that can be applied
        to the character to achieve some effect. e.g. provide starting gold,
        grant standard equipment, build a standard monster ala the bestiary.
        They have in the past been referred to as starting kits

        > The other one I have difficulties with is Equipment Set. If I get it right, it's the combination of clothing and worn items. It allows to handle case like the wizard/fighter that put an heavy armour once out of spells, for example.

        Yes, you might have a list of equipment sets for situations such as
        overland travel, sleeping gear, dungeon delving, city etc. They are how
        you arrange the gear to match a particular situation. Most people just
        run with a single set, showing how their gear is worn, but others will
        have different ones around and may output multiple output sheets.

        Cheers,
        James.
      • masaru20100
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012

          Thanks for the answers James, but I have another one. It seems to me that the create monsters button in the race panel shows the Add Kit dialog window. Why is it not called Add Kit?
          Is there a reason why it appears also for PC (and not just for NPC). It seems strange to have a button called Create Monster for PC.

          Regards,
          --
          Vincent
        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2012
            Hi Vincent,

            The Create Monster function predates the NPC/PC option. There is also no
            reason PCs can't be monsters either :)

            Calling it Create Monster highlights its major function in that
            location, but it was called Create Monster/Add Kit in the old UI. That
            was a bit awkward though.

            Cheers,
            James.

            On 3/09/2012 2:37 PM masaru20100 wrote
            > Hi,
            >
            > Thanks for the answers James, but I have another one. It seems to me that the create monsters button in the race panel shows the Add Kit dialog window. Why is it not called Add Kit?
            > Is there a reason why it appears also for PC (and not just for NPC). It seems strange to have a button called Create Monster for PC.
            >
            > Regards,
            > --
            > Vincent

          • masaru20100
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2012
              --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey wrote:

              > Hi Vincent,
              >
              > The Create Monster function predates the NPC/PC option. There is also no
              > reason PCs can't be monsters either :)

              Indeed, but who would think to push the Create Monster to add average gold for a new character? I didn't, and only discovered what the button do because I'm translating and wanted to see what it was.

              > Calling it Create Monster highlights its major function in that
              > location, but it was called Create Monster/Add Kit in the old UI. That
              > was a bit awkward though.

              MmmÂ… there's no better name for it?

              By the way, are kit only used at creation time?

              --
              Vincent
            • papa_drb
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2012
                No, they can be used any time. I did the avg/max wealth kits and when I create a high level character / NPC the next to last thing I do is add wealth then buy equipment after everything else is done.

                -- david
                Papa.DRB