Re: [pcgen_international] Text missing in bundles

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 26, 2012

      On 25/08/2012 9:47 PM Martijn Verburg wrote
      > Hi There,
      >
      > I think James has replied to some of this? My 2cp in-line.
      >
      > **
      >> Dear fellow pcgen il8n maintainers,
      >>
      >> I want to point out that some strings are still not in the languages
      >> bundle. I think it is more easily done from the code, than pointing out
      >> all the English strings and their location. Examples include the Loading
      >> screen (first thing that pops up…), the licence (like OGL) popup check
      >> box…
      >>
      > Correct, these are missing.

      Those have now been fixed. If you notice anything else, please let me
      know - either drop one of the lists an email, or raise a bug for it.

      > I searched for the text of the tip of the day, and they are in the data
      >> directories. If I’m correct, only the UI can be translated for now, not
      >> the data, so that means those are also untranslatable for now. It might
      >> make more sense to hide the tips, maybe.
      >>
      > I'd rather 'fix' the code and enable people like yourself to start
      > translations :-)
      >

      >> I’ve looked at the code and the tips.lst file, and it appears to be
      >> simple text file, each line some html body for a single tip. That seems
      >> to be different than other lst file which are some kind of tagged
      >> language. Removing the lst from the name of the file makes sense, if
      >> they are not the same kind of file. Would it make sense to have some
      >> "tips_fr.lst" for French for example, in a similar way bundles name
      >> works? Or should the file contain all languages tips? This latter (and
      >> in any case the text format) forbid to use standard tool to edit l10n
      >> files, so I don’t like it anyway.
      >> I might be able to take care of it if I’m told how it should be handled
      >> (but any coder would also be, it’s simple enough).
      >>
      > I'll let James comment on this one, but I think swapping tips to a LST
      > format is a
      > good idea in principle.

      I think these are best served as a simple text file, otherwise the key
      would just be tip1, tip2 etc. I definitely agree that these are not lst
      files in their current form, so I think the file name extension should
      be changed to txt.

      I like the idea of a separate file for each language e.g. "tips_fr.txt".
      To avoid having to implement a new language processing module, we could
      add a new il8n key Tips_File_Name to indicate the appropriate tips file
      to use for this language. Then the tips could be loaded from that file
      if present rather than the default.

      Note: The tips file will be getting a major revamp very shortly as it is
      brought up to date with the new UI.

      Lastly, the default LanguageBundle.properties file has now been cleaned
      of all unused keys. It is less than half its previous size. A separate
      unused.properties file records the keys that were removed.

      Cheers,
      James.
    • hooya.masaru20100@antichef.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 26, 2012
        Le samedi 25 août 2012 à 13:47 +1000, James Dempsey a écrit :

        > I can't find any non ASCII printable characters in the file. I'll
        > change
        > the export to use the ISO-8859-1 charset though, which is the
        > standard
        > for resource bundles.

        The tools I used are wrong indeed, I checked myself by comparing it to
        the same file produced by native2ascii and their content is the same.

        > Are there any code changes which would make localisation easier? Say
        > having a location for an external bundle file?

        Thanks you, but it is not needed.

        Regards,

        --
        Vincent
      • hooya.masaru20100@antichef.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 26, 2012
          Le lundi 27 août 2012 à 08:03 +1000, James Dempsey a écrit :

          > Note: The tips file will be getting a major revamp very shortly as it
          > is
          > brought up to date with the new UI.

          Do you mean the content of the file, or the format of the file? If it’s
          the format, is there an issue raised about it? (searched and found
          none).

          Regards,

          --
          Vincent
        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 26, 2012
            Hi Vincent

            On 27 August 2012 13:43, <hooya.masaru20100@...> wrote:

            > Le lundi 27 ao�t 2012 � 08:03 +1000, James Dempsey a �crit :
            >
            > > Note: The tips file will be getting a major revamp very shortly as it
            > > is
            > > brought up to date with the new UI.
            >
            > Do you mean the content of the file, or the format of the file? If it�s
            > the format, is there an issue raised about it? (searched and found
            > none).

            The content will be the main focus. I'm open to discussing the format if
            there are options to make it more localisation friendly though.

            Cheers,
            James.

          • masaru20100
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2012

              Concerning tips, it would be good to include some explanation of PCGen only concepts (that do no exists in PRD/SRD etc.) like Equipment Sets or Kits. It is not that complicated so it might not be needed.

              Regards,

              --
              Vincent
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                Can you raise a DOCs JIRA for this please - K