Greetings, we will need help!

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 8, 2012
      Hi Folks,

      Thank you so very much for your patience while PCGen has been slowly becoming I18n compliant. The
      new UI should be able to support your native tongue.

      Our New UI is still being worked on and when we go Beta (Hopefully Mid-July or August), we'll need
      you to verify the language is correct for the languages you know.

      Remember, we'll need help Mid-July or so when PCGen 5.17 goes into a BETA release. Just to get a
      head count, and which languages will be covered, how many of you are able to help out, and what
      Languages can you reasonably cover?

      Thanks!
      --
      Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

    • sirmithras
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 21, 2012
        > Languages can you reasonably cover?

        Hi Andrew,

        i'd like to work on Pathfinder dataset for italian language if is possible,

        in 5.17.16 Alfa
        i'm using .MOD tag and OUTPUTNAME tag in "homebrew" folder, but not all .lst file accept these tags: I can't rename weaponprof file for example

        i'm waiting the new beta version

        ---
        sorry for my poor english
        Sir Mithras
      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 21, 2012
          Hi Mithras,

          I'm putting you in contact with James so he can go over what he'll need from you.

          Thanks very much.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 23, 2012
            Le vendredi 08 juin 2012 à 14:44 -0700, Andrew a écrit :

            > Hi Folks,
            >
            > Thank you so very much for your patience while PCGen has been slowly
            > becoming I18n compliant. The
            > new UI should be able to support your native tongue.
            >
            > Our New UI is still being worked on and when we go Beta (Hopefully
            > Mid-July or August), we'll need
            > you to verify the language is correct for the languages you know.
            >
            > Remember, we'll need help Mid-July or so when PCGen 5.17 goes into a
            > BETA release. Just to get a
            > head count, and which languages will be covered, how many of you are
            > able to help out, and what
            > Languages can you reasonably cover?
            >
            > Thanks!

            Already mid-august and I didn’t reply, I’m sorry. I worked on the
            translation a very long time ago but did not complete it.

            I remember mention of it being cleaned to avoid having to translate old
            and unused strings. Is it the case?

            Regards,
            Vincent
          • hooya.masaru20100@antichef.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 24, 2012
              Dear fellow pcgen il8n maintainers,

              I want to point out that some strings are still not in the languages
              bundle. I think it is more easily done from the code, than pointing out
              all the English strings and their location. Examples include the Loading
              screen (first thing that pops up…), the licence (like OGL) popup check
              box…

              I searched for the text of the tip of the day, and they are in the data
              directories. If I’m correct, only the UI can be translated for now, not
              the data, so that means those are also untranslatable for now. It might
              make more sense to hide the tips, maybe.
              I’ve looked at the code and the tips.lst file, and it appears to be
              simple text file, each line some html body for a single tip. That seems
              to be different than other lst file which are some kind of tagged
              language. Removing the lst from the name of the file makes sense, if
              they are not the same kind of file. Would it make sense to have some
              "tips_fr.lst" for French for example, in a similar way bundles name
              works? Or should the file contain all languages tips? This latter (and
              in any case the text format) forbid to use standard tool to edit l10n
              files, so I don’t like it anyway.
              I might be able to take care of it if I’m told how it should be handled
              (but any coder would also be, it’s simple enough).

              Regards,

              --
              Vincent (masaru20100)
            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 24, 2012

                For Actual Code stuff, I'll refer this to James.

                --
                Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

              • James Dempsey
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 24, 2012

                  On 25/08/2012 6:56 AM Andrew wrote
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > For Actual Code stuff, I'll refer this to James.
                  >
                  > On 8/23/2012 8:27 PM, hooya.masaru20100@... wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Le vendredi 08 juin 2012 à 14:44 -0700, Andrew a écrit :
                  >> >
                  >> > Hi Folks,
                  >> >
                  >> > Thank you so very much for your patience while PCGen has been slowly
                  >> > becoming I18n compliant. The
                  >> > new UI should be able to support your native tongue.
                  >> >
                  >> > Our New UI is still being worked on and when we go Beta (Hopefully
                  >> > Mid-July or August), we'll need
                  >> > you to verify the language is correct for the languages you know.
                  >> >
                  >> > Remember, we'll need help Mid-July or so when PCGen 5.17 goes into a
                  >> > BETA release. Just to get a
                  >> > head count, and which languages will be covered, how many of you are
                  >> > able to help out, and what
                  >> > Languages can you reasonably cover?
                  >> >
                  >> > Thanks!
                  >>
                  >> Already mid-august and I didn’t reply, I’m sorry. I worked on the
                  >> translation a very long time ago but did not complete it.
                  >>
                  >> I remember mention of it being cleaned to avoid having to translate old
                  >> and unused strings. Is it the case?
                  >>
                  >> Regards,
                  >> Vincent

                  Yes, I've got a process that pulls out the strings that are no longer
                  used. I still have to refine it for a few instances, but it will mean
                  about a third of the strings can be removed I believe. I should have the
                  shrunk down file checked in by the end of the weekend.

                  The in-progress cleaned file is at
                  https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/resources/lang/cleaned.properties

                  Cheers,
                  James.

                • hooya.masaru20100@antichef.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 24, 2012
                    Le samedi 25 août 2012 à 08:17 +1000, James Dempsey -
                    jdempsey@... a écrit :
                    […]

                    > Yes, I've got a process that pulls out the strings that are no longer
                    > used. I still have to refine it for a few instances, but it will mean
                    > about a third of the strings can be removed I believe. I should have
                    > the
                    > shrunk down file checked in by the end of the weekend.
                    >
                    > The in-progress cleaned file is at
                    > https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/resources/lang/cleaned.properties

                    Great!

                    I’ve updated my svn copy to the 17046 revision, it was the only changed
                    file. The file contains some utf-8 instead of being in ASCII according
                    to my automated POT converter.

                    Regards,

                    --
                    Vincent
                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 24, 2012
                      Hi Vincent,

                      On 25/08/2012 12:39 PM hooya.masaru20100@... wrote
                      > Le samedi 25 août 2012 à 08:17 +1000, James Dempsey -
                      > jdempsey@... a écrit :
                      > […]
                      >> Yes, I've got a process that pulls out the strings that are no longer
                      >> used. I still have to refine it for a few instances, but it will mean
                      >> about a third of the strings can be removed I believe. I should have
                      >> the
                      >> shrunk down file checked in by the end of the weekend.
                      >>
                      >> The in-progress cleaned file is at
                      >> https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/resources/lang/cleaned.properties
                      > Great!
                      >
                      > I’ve updated my svn copy to the 17046 revision, it was the only changed
                      > file. The file contains some utf-8 instead of being in ASCII according
                      > to my automated POT converter.
                      I can't find any non ASCII printable characters in the file. I'll change
                      the export to use the ISO-8859-1 charset though, which is the standard
                      for resource bundles.

                      Are there any code changes which would make localisation easier? Say
                      having a location for an external bundle file?

                      Cheers,
                      James.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 25, 2012
                        Hi There,

                        I think James has replied to some of this? My 2cp in-line.

                        **

                        > Dear fellow pcgen il8n maintainers,
                        >
                        > I want to point out that some strings are still not in the languages
                        > bundle. I think it is more easily done from the code, than pointing out
                        > all the English strings and their location. Examples include the Loading
                        > screen (first thing that pops up…), the licence (like OGL) popup check
                        > box…

                        Correct, these are missing.

                        I searched for the text of the tip of the day, and they are in the data
                        > directories. If I’m correct, only the UI can be translated for now, not
                        > the data, so that means those are also untranslatable for now. It might
                        > make more sense to hide the tips, maybe.

                        I'd rather 'fix' the code and enable people like yourself to start
                        translations :-)

                        > I’ve looked at the code and the tips.lst file, and it appears to be
                        > simple text file, each line some html body for a single tip. That seems
                        > to be different than other lst file which are some kind of tagged
                        > language. Removing the lst from the name of the file makes sense, if
                        > they are not the same kind of file. Would it make sense to have some
                        > "tips_fr.lst" for French for example, in a similar way bundles name
                        > works? Or should the file contain all languages tips? This latter (and
                        > in any case the text format) forbid to use standard tool to edit l10n
                        > files, so I don’t like it anyway.
                        > I might be able to take care of it if I’m told how it should be handled
                        > (but any coder would also be, it’s simple enough).

                        I'll let James comment on this one, but I think swapping tips to a LST
                        format is a
                        good idea in principle.

                      • James Dempsey
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 26, 2012

                          On 25/08/2012 9:47 PM Martijn Verburg wrote
                          > Hi There,
                          >
                          > I think James has replied to some of this? My 2cp in-line.
                          >
                          > **
                          >> Dear fellow pcgen il8n maintainers,
                          >>
                          >> I want to point out that some strings are still not in the languages
                          >> bundle. I think it is more easily done from the code, than pointing out
                          >> all the English strings and their location. Examples include the Loading
                          >> screen (first thing that pops up…), the licence (like OGL) popup check
                          >> box…
                          >>
                          > Correct, these are missing.

                          Those have now been fixed. If you notice anything else, please let me
                          know - either drop one of the lists an email, or raise a bug for it.

                          > I searched for the text of the tip of the day, and they are in the data
                          >> directories. If I’m correct, only the UI can be translated for now, not
                          >> the data, so that means those are also untranslatable for now. It might
                          >> make more sense to hide the tips, maybe.
                          >>
                          > I'd rather 'fix' the code and enable people like yourself to start
                          > translations :-)
                          >

                          >> I’ve looked at the code and the tips.lst file, and it appears to be
                          >> simple text file, each line some html body for a single tip. That seems
                          >> to be different than other lst file which are some kind of tagged
                          >> language. Removing the lst from the name of the file makes sense, if
                          >> they are not the same kind of file. Would it make sense to have some
                          >> "tips_fr.lst" for French for example, in a similar way bundles name
                          >> works? Or should the file contain all languages tips? This latter (and
                          >> in any case the text format) forbid to use standard tool to edit l10n
                          >> files, so I don’t like it anyway.
                          >> I might be able to take care of it if I’m told how it should be handled
                          >> (but any coder would also be, it’s simple enough).
                          >>
                          > I'll let James comment on this one, but I think swapping tips to a LST
                          > format is a
                          > good idea in principle.

                          I think these are best served as a simple text file, otherwise the key
                          would just be tip1, tip2 etc. I definitely agree that these are not lst
                          files in their current form, so I think the file name extension should
                          be changed to txt.

                          I like the idea of a separate file for each language e.g. "tips_fr.txt".
                          To avoid having to implement a new language processing module, we could
                          add a new il8n key Tips_File_Name to indicate the appropriate tips file
                          to use for this language. Then the tips could be loaded from that file
                          if present rather than the default.

                          Note: The tips file will be getting a major revamp very shortly as it is
                          brought up to date with the new UI.

                          Lastly, the default LanguageBundle.properties file has now been cleaned
                          of all unused keys. It is less than half its previous size. A separate
                          unused.properties file records the keys that were removed.

                          Cheers,
                          James.
                        • hooya.masaru20100@antichef.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 26, 2012
                            Le samedi 25 août 2012 à 13:47 +1000, James Dempsey a écrit :

                            > I can't find any non ASCII printable characters in the file. I'll
                            > change
                            > the export to use the ISO-8859-1 charset though, which is the
                            > standard
                            > for resource bundles.

                            The tools I used are wrong indeed, I checked myself by comparing it to
                            the same file produced by native2ascii and their content is the same.

                            > Are there any code changes which would make localisation easier? Say
                            > having a location for an external bundle file?

                            Thanks you, but it is not needed.

                            Regards,

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 26, 2012
                              Le lundi 27 août 2012 à 08:03 +1000, James Dempsey a écrit :

                              > Note: The tips file will be getting a major revamp very shortly as it
                              > is
                              > brought up to date with the new UI.

                              Do you mean the content of the file, or the format of the file? If it’s
                              the format, is there an issue raised about it? (searched and found
                              none).

                              Regards,

                              --
                              Vincent
                            • James Dempsey
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 26, 2012
                                Hi Vincent

                                On 27 August 2012 13:43, <hooya.masaru20100@...> wrote:

                                > Le lundi 27 ao�t 2012 � 08:03 +1000, James Dempsey a �crit :
                                >
                                > > Note: The tips file will be getting a major revamp very shortly as it
                                > > is
                                > > brought up to date with the new UI.
                                >
                                > Do you mean the content of the file, or the format of the file? If it�s
                                > the format, is there an issue raised about it? (searched and found
                                > none).

                                The content will be the main focus. I'm open to discussing the format if
                                there are options to make it more localisation friendly though.

                                Cheers,
                                James.

                              • masaru20100
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 2, 2012

                                  Concerning tips, it would be good to include some explanation of PCGen only concepts (that do no exists in PRD/SRD etc.) like Equipment Sets or Kits. It is not that complicated so it might not be needed.

                                  Regards,

                                  --
                                  Vincent
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                                    Can you raise a DOCs JIRA for this please - K