Re: [pcgen_international] PCGen 6.0 I18N Requirements Gathering

  • Aubé Philippe
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
      Hi all,

      I think we should bear in mind that :

      1. All that is to be displayed should be translated.
      2. Everything that is to be displayed should not be used internally.
      3. There should be as few files as possible and the link between initial
      file and translation "holder" should be clear enough for everyone to be
      able to modify the translation easily.
      4. Changing tags should not affect the translation.
      5. Sorting should take into account accents.

      Let me be clearer on points 1 and 2.

      Spells have an awful long list of factors, most need to be displayed AND
      are used internally. There should be no such thing. The duration of a
      spell should be in two ratings : the duration as used internally and the
      duration as displayed. Am I clear ?

      Maybe it would be a good idea to plit the files in several files : one
      file holding internal information, another one holding displayed
      information along with the translations (maybe one file per language).
      Each new PCGen version should simply modify the "internal information"
      part, not the translation one. When the translation doesn't exist, then
      the english displayed information should be used.
    • Tom Parker
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 29, 2007
        --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, Aubé Philippe
        <tymophil@...> wrote:
        > I think we should bear in mind that :
        >
        > 1. All that is to be displayed should be translated.

        That is why I'm trying to gather a list of what needs to be displayed
        or output. While I can take a pass from what I see in the code and
        character sheets, an exhaustive code search is time consuming, and a
        few more sets of eyes and some experience with translation isn't
        experience I want to ignore.

        > 2. Everything that is to be displayed should not be used internally.

        I disagree. There are some items (such as height) that could be
        stored internally in arbitrary units, but converted to meters or
        feet/inches only when displayed. This would require a database of
        translations for meter, etc., but is likely preferable to forcing each
        locality to translate "2 meters" into their local dialect.

        > 3. There should be as few files as possible and the link between
        initial
        > file and translation "holder" should be clear enough for everyone to be
        > able to modify the translation easily.

        ...while at the same time not creating so much confusion for someone
        creating a custom dataset that they have to do contortions to get a
        personal dataset in only their home language.

        > 4. Changing tags should not affect the translation.

        Agreed

        > 5. Sorting should take into account accents.

        A GUI and Output Sheet item, already FREQed, and outside the scope of
        my current inquiry, but I agree.

        > Let me be clearer on points 1 and 2.
        >
        > Spells have an awful long list of factors, most need to be displayed
        AND
        > are used internally. There should be no such thing. The duration of a
        > spell should be in two ratings : the duration as used internally and
        the
        > duration as displayed. Am I clear ?

        I get the point; however, many of the spells items at the moment are
        just Strings, so this isn't a concern.

        > Maybe it would be a good idea to plit the files in several files : one
        > file holding internal information, another one holding displayed
        > information along with the translations (maybe one file per language).
        > Each new PCGen version should simply modify the "internal information"
        > part, not the translation one. When the translation doesn't exist, then
        > the english displayed information should be used.

        I think this is a bad idea, because it makes simple home-brew data
        unnecessarily complicated by introducing multiple files. I believe
        there are alternative solutions that do not require this complexity.
        I'll explain more once I get a chance to dig up Aaron's previous
        suggestions and make sure I'm not missing anything.

        TP.