Re: [pcgen_international] Re: [OT] PCGen Italian discussion

  • Alvise Nicoletti
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
      Ok, so, here we go:
      I posted here a month ago having few responses but now I see three italian
      guys that seems to be interested in the translation of pcgen.

      So, risking to bother you, I propose AGAIN my previous idea to see if we can
      get out of this.

      A lot of translator seems to don't like the actual way of translate
      datasets: work have to be done again and again for every new dataset, for
      every dataset that changes, and for every tag that is added on them.
      My idea is to:
      1) do a SIMPLE database with a column for every language and a primary colum
      for the english official meaning of the word.
      2) do a SIMPLE and OPEN SOURCE php script to generate dinamycally datasets
      taking the data from the database and the language from a given input

      The result will be something like:
      www.translationsite.org/dataset_number_1.php?language=italian

      In this case, the php script will generate a dataset putting the italian
      words into the TRANSLATED_TEXT words...

      The code will be so easy cause with php the variables just have to be
      anticipated by a "$" string, so the dataset will easily seems like the
      actual datasets but with a "$" before every word that have to be translated.

      In this way, we all will work ONCE and we will be able to generate always
      working and new datasets in this 2 situations:
      1) the dataset changes due to pcgen evolutions
      2) new languages are supported or something changes somewere on the rules

      This is the flexibility I was talking about, if you guys provide me some
      feedback I'll do it NOW, and who wants will use it.

      The database can be populated by some forms and scripts with no reason of
      logins or security, and when Karianna will approve this method we will link
      the script with the mailing list or the forum login so only members will be
      able to edit the database.

      I can do this today if you approve that... just give me an example
      translated dataset with the words "TRANSLATE_HERE" where i have to
      variabilize things and I'll show you what i have in mind ;)

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007

        I nearly finished a translation of the 3.5 Basics RSRD by using
        a .MOD and OUTPUTNAME approach.

        I think it would be better to use this method, perhaps coupling it
        with your script, to produce "translating additional datasets". The
        idea is to keep the original datasets intact, and just .MODding them
        to add an OUTPUTNAME tag ; the value of this tag could be a variable
        to be translated by your script.

        If you are interested, I could provide the translating datasets so
        you can see if you can easily put variables in place of the actual
        translated (french) words.

        Ludo

        Ludovic Fierville
        lfierville<at>gmail<dot>com

        ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
      • Alvise Nicoletti
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
          yes, i'm interested, let me see and i'll contact the others to decide what
          to do.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
            Here you are, file uploaded to the pcgen_international group.

            Please note that some of the content is originally from Philippe
            Aubé, mainly the equipment and DESC of the spells.

            The translation not always appear, because the OUTPUTNAME tag is not
            always used as I hope they were.

            Ludo

            Le 22 avr. 07 à 16:51, Alvise Nicoletti a écrit :

            > yes, i'm interested, let me see and i'll contact the others to
            > decide what
            > to do.
          • Alvise Nicoletti
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
              Where do I have to put them to try them?

              Do I need special versions of pcgen? I'm using the 5102

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                I put them together from the 5.11.13, but they should work for the
                5.10.2 (I recommand 5.11.13 though, as some bugs concerning UTF-8
                files are corrected in it).

                Just unzip the folder in your data folder then look for "DRS (v3.5)
                Système de base" in RSRD / PARTIAL (3.5 gamemode).

                Note that I have concatenated all the "equip" files in a unique file.