Re: [OT] PCGen Italian discussion

  • tymophil
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
      Hi,

      I am not Italian, but French. I think the best thing to do would be to
      keep posting on this forum. Because your concerns may reflect the
      concerns of other translators, such as me.

      For example, the translating method could be the same in both
      languages. There could be similar problems with sorting, number
      format, etc.

      So please, keep posting here...

      Best regards.
    • sirmithras
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
        --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "tymophil" <tymophil@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am not Italian, but French. I think the best thing to do would be to
        > keep posting on this forum. Because your concerns may reflect the
        > concerns of other translators, such as me.
        >
        > For example, the translating method could be the same in both
        > languages. There could be similar problems with sorting, number
        > format, etc.
        >
        > So please, keep posting here...
        >
        > Best regards.

        Hi tym,
        my discussion is OT becouse i'n not interested in traslation, i'm
        interested in develope data set, and in an ambasciator of my language
        that can write in sourceforge my request and my bug. This because my
        english is very bad, and i've find same problem to comunicate.

        i hope you undersand my spaghetti english
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
          Hi all,

          It is perfectly acceptable to post in your native language on these
          boards if you are trying to discuss language specific translations.
          We only ask that you try and discuss general problems in English as
          there will be plenty of other translators and coders that will want to
          understand your problem and try to help you fix it :)

          We certainly encourage all i18n questions to go through this group.

          Karianna
          Chair Monkey - PCGen

          > --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "tymophil" <tymophil@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am not Italian, but French. I think the best thing to do would be to
          > > keep posting on this forum. Because your concerns may reflect the
          > > concerns of other translators, such as me.
          > >
          > > For example, the translating method could be the same in both
          > > languages. There could be similar problems with sorting, number
          > > format, etc.
          > >
          > > So please, keep posting here...
          > >
          > > Best regards.
          > >

          > Hi tym,
          > my discussion is OT becouse i'n not interested in traslation, i'm
          > interested in develope data set, and in an ambasciator of my language
          > that can write in sourceforge my request and my bug. This because my
          > english is very bad, and i've find same problem to comunicate.
          >
          > i hope you undersand my spaghetti english

        • Alvise Nicoletti
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
            Ok, so, here we go:
            I posted here a month ago having few responses but now I see three italian
            guys that seems to be interested in the translation of pcgen.

            So, risking to bother you, I propose AGAIN my previous idea to see if we can
            get out of this.

            A lot of translator seems to don't like the actual way of translate
            datasets: work have to be done again and again for every new dataset, for
            every dataset that changes, and for every tag that is added on them.
            My idea is to:
            1) do a SIMPLE database with a column for every language and a primary colum
            for the english official meaning of the word.
            2) do a SIMPLE and OPEN SOURCE php script to generate dinamycally datasets
            taking the data from the database and the language from a given input

            The result will be something like:
            www.translationsite.org/dataset_number_1.php?language=italian

            In this case, the php script will generate a dataset putting the italian
            words into the TRANSLATED_TEXT words...

            The code will be so easy cause with php the variables just have to be
            anticipated by a "$" string, so the dataset will easily seems like the
            actual datasets but with a "$" before every word that have to be translated.

            In this way, we all will work ONCE and we will be able to generate always
            working and new datasets in this 2 situations:
            1) the dataset changes due to pcgen evolutions
            2) new languages are supported or something changes somewere on the rules

            This is the flexibility I was talking about, if you guys provide me some
            feedback I'll do it NOW, and who wants will use it.

            The database can be populated by some forms and scripts with no reason of
            logins or security, and when Karianna will approve this method we will link
            the script with the mailing list or the forum login so only members will be
            able to edit the database.

            I can do this today if you approve that... just give me an example
            translated dataset with the words "TRANSLATE_HERE" where i have to
            variabilize things and I'll show you what i have in mind ;)

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
              Hi,

              I nearly finished a translation of the 3.5 Basics RSRD by using
              a .MOD and OUTPUTNAME approach.

              I think it would be better to use this method, perhaps coupling it
              with your script, to produce "translating additional datasets". The
              idea is to keep the original datasets intact, and just .MODding them
              to add an OUTPUTNAME tag ; the value of this tag could be a variable
              to be translated by your script.

              If you are interested, I could provide the translating datasets so
              you can see if you can easily put variables in place of the actual
              translated (french) words.

              Ludo

              Ludovic Fierville
              lfierville<at>gmail<dot>com

              ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
            • Alvise Nicoletti
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                yes, i'm interested, let me see and i'll contact the others to decide what
                to do.

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                  Here you are, file uploaded to the pcgen_international group.

                  Please note that some of the content is originally from Philippe
                  Aubé, mainly the equipment and DESC of the spells.

                  The translation not always appear, because the OUTPUTNAME tag is not
                  always used as I hope they were.

                  Ludo

                  Le 22 avr. 07 à 16:51, Alvise Nicoletti a écrit :

                  > yes, i'm interested, let me see and i'll contact the others to
                  > decide what
                  > to do.
                • Alvise Nicoletti
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                    Where do I have to put them to try them?

                    Do I need special versions of pcgen? I'm using the 5102

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                      I put them together from the 5.11.13, but they should work for the
                      5.10.2 (I recommand 5.11.13 though, as some bugs concerning UTF-8
                      files are corrected in it).

                      Just unzip the folder in your data folder then look for "DRS (v3.5)
                      Système de base" in RSRD / PARTIAL (3.5 gamemode).

                      Note that I have concatenated all the "equip" files in a unique file.