Re: [pcgen_international] [OT] PCGen Italian discussion

  • Alvise Nicoletti
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2007
      Hi.

      I'm Italian too and I asked for help in the translation some weeks ago.

      However, I had only few ansers and I'm not really convinced about the
      translation method (that would make me do a lot of work without being able
      to reuse it in the future).

      For the dataset you created, contact me, maybe we can share something.

      [ITALIAN MODE ON]
      pochi italiani purtroppo... con l'inglese me la cavo benino (lascia stare
      qui sopra che al momento completamente ubriaco) ma il vero problema è il
      metodo di traduzione dei dataset che attualmente è completamente folle
      Ho proposto di creare un database "dizionario" per tradurre le cose e
      mettere via il lavoro per poterlo riutilizzare di volta in volta e nessuno
      mi ha risposto
      scrivimi pure in pvt ;)
      [ITALIAN MODE OFF]

      2007/4/21, sirmithras <mithras@...>:

      > Sorry for the ot,
      >
      > i ask if is possible open a Yahoo PCGen Italian general discussion in
      > italian language or we must ask same type of permission to sameone?
      >
      > and if is possible create our (italian) dataset or we must traslate
      > the existing dataset?
      >
      > this is why (for exemple) i create personal dataset, but i dont
      > understand the OGL and other type of burocracy
      >
      > tnks and sorry for my poor english
      >
      > [ITALIAN MODE ON]
      > ci sono italiani con cui condividere, chiedere esperienze con il
      > programma? Se si magari in un nostro gruppo di discussione qualcuno
      > potrebbe fare da portavoce per quelli come me che non sanno
      > esprimersi bene in inglese per quanto riguarda bug e richieste su
      > sourceforge
      > [ITALIAN MODE OFF]
      > --
      > Sir Mithras

    • Ataru Moroboshi
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21, 2007
        Alvise Nicoletti ha scritto:
        > Hi.
        >
        > I'm Italian too and I asked for help in the translation some weeks ago.
        >
        > However, I had only few ansers and I'm not really convinced about the
        > translation method (that would make me do a lot of work without being able
        > to reuse it in the future).
        >
        > For the dataset you created, contact me, maybe we can share something.
        >
        > [ITALIAN MODE ON]
        > pochi italiani purtroppo... con l'inglese me la cavo benino (lascia stare
        > qui sopra che al momento completamente ubriaco) ma il vero problema è il
        > metodo di traduzione dei dataset che attualmente è completamente folle
        > Ho proposto di creare un database "dizionario" per tradurre le cose e
        > mettere via il lavoro per poterlo riutilizzare di volta in volta e nessuno
        > mi ha risposto
        > scrivimi pure in pvt ;)
        > [ITALIAN MODE OFF]

        I have the same opionion, I can collaborate to translate in Italian the
        dataset, but _only_ if the translation
        method will be sufficiently flexible to be reused in future versions of
        PC Gen.

        Di italiano ci sono anch'io - ma condivido la stessa opinione, potrei
        cercare di trovare il tempo
        libero per collaborare a una traduzione - ma solo se il metodo di
        traduzione garantisca la
        riutilizzabilità futura della traduzione.

        Rage Your
        Dreams
      • tymophil
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
          Hi,

          I am not Italian, but French. I think the best thing to do would be to
          keep posting on this forum. Because your concerns may reflect the
          concerns of other translators, such as me.

          For example, the translating method could be the same in both
          languages. There could be similar problems with sorting, number
          format, etc.

          So please, keep posting here...

          Best regards.
        • sirmithras
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
            --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "tymophil" <tymophil@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I am not Italian, but French. I think the best thing to do would be to
            > keep posting on this forum. Because your concerns may reflect the
            > concerns of other translators, such as me.
            >
            > For example, the translating method could be the same in both
            > languages. There could be similar problems with sorting, number
            > format, etc.
            >
            > So please, keep posting here...
            >
            > Best regards.

            Hi tym,
            my discussion is OT becouse i'n not interested in traslation, i'm
            interested in develope data set, and in an ambasciator of my language
            that can write in sourceforge my request and my bug. This because my
            english is very bad, and i've find same problem to comunicate.

            i hope you undersand my spaghetti english
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
              Hi all,

              It is perfectly acceptable to post in your native language on these
              boards if you are trying to discuss language specific translations.
              We only ask that you try and discuss general problems in English as
              there will be plenty of other translators and coders that will want to
              understand your problem and try to help you fix it :)

              We certainly encourage all i18n questions to go through this group.

              Karianna
              Chair Monkey - PCGen

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                Ok, so, here we go:
                I posted here a month ago having few responses but now I see three italian
                guys that seems to be interested in the translation of pcgen.

                So, risking to bother you, I propose AGAIN my previous idea to see if we can
                get out of this.

                A lot of translator seems to don't like the actual way of translate
                datasets: work have to be done again and again for every new dataset, for
                every dataset that changes, and for every tag that is added on them.
                My idea is to:
                1) do a SIMPLE database with a column for every language and a primary colum
                for the english official meaning of the word.
                2) do a SIMPLE and OPEN SOURCE php script to generate dinamycally datasets
                taking the data from the database and the language from a given input

                The result will be something like:
                www.translationsite.org/dataset_number_1.php?language=italian

                In this case, the php script will generate a dataset putting the italian
                words into the TRANSLATED_TEXT words...

                The code will be so easy cause with php the variables just have to be
                anticipated by a "$" string, so the dataset will easily seems like the
                actual datasets but with a "$" before every word that have to be translated.

                In this way, we all will work ONCE and we will be able to generate always
                working and new datasets in this 2 situations:
                1) the dataset changes due to pcgen evolutions
                2) new languages are supported or something changes somewere on the rules

                This is the flexibility I was talking about, if you guys provide me some
                feedback I'll do it NOW, and who wants will use it.

                The database can be populated by some forms and scripts with no reason of
                logins or security, and when Karianna will approve this method we will link
                the script with the mailing list or the forum login so only members will be
                able to edit the database.

                I can do this today if you approve that... just give me an example
                translated dataset with the words "TRANSLATE_HERE" where i have to
                variabilize things and I'll show you what i have in mind ;)

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                  Hi,

                  I nearly finished a translation of the 3.5 Basics RSRD by using
                  a .MOD and OUTPUTNAME approach.

                  I think it would be better to use this method, perhaps coupling it
                  with your script, to produce "translating additional datasets". The
                  idea is to keep the original datasets intact, and just .MODding them
                  to add an OUTPUTNAME tag ; the value of this tag could be a variable
                  to be translated by your script.

                  If you are interested, I could provide the translating datasets so
                  you can see if you can easily put variables in place of the actual
                  translated (french) words.

                  Ludo

                  Ludovic Fierville
                  lfierville<at>gmail<dot>com

                  ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
                • Alvise Nicoletti
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                    yes, i'm interested, let me see and i'll contact the others to decide what
                    to do.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                      Here you are, file uploaded to the pcgen_international group.

                      Please note that some of the content is originally from Philippe
                      Aubé, mainly the equipment and DESC of the spells.

                      The translation not always appear, because the OUTPUTNAME tag is not
                      always used as I hope they were.

                      Ludo

                      Le 22 avr. 07 à 16:51, Alvise Nicoletti a écrit :

                      > yes, i'm interested, let me see and i'll contact the others to
                      > decide what
                      > to do.
                    • Alvise Nicoletti
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                        Where do I have to put them to try them?

                        Do I need special versions of pcgen? I'm using the 5102

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                          I put them together from the 5.11.13, but they should work for the
                          5.10.2 (I recommand 5.11.13 though, as some bugs concerning UTF-8
                          files are corrected in it).

                          Just unzip the folder in your data folder then look for "DRS (v3.5)
                          Système de base" in RSRD / PARTIAL (3.5 gamemode).

                          Note that I have concatenated all the "equip" files in a unique file.