[OT] PCGen Italian discussion

  • sirmithras
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2007
      Sorry for the ot,

      i ask if is possible open a Yahoo PCGen Italian general discussion in
      italian language or we must ask same type of permission to sameone?

      and if is possible create our (italian) dataset or we must traslate
      the existing dataset?

      this is why (for exemple) i create personal dataset, but i dont
      understand the OGL and other type of burocracy

      tnks and sorry for my poor english

      [ITALIAN MODE ON]
      ci sono italiani con cui condividere, chiedere esperienze con il
      programma? Se si magari in un nostro gruppo di discussione qualcuno
      potrebbe fare da portavoce per quelli come me che non sanno
      esprimersi bene in inglese per quanto riguarda bug e richieste su
      sourceforge
      [ITALIAN MODE OFF]
      --
      Sir Mithras
    • Alvise Nicoletti
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21, 2007
        Hi.

        I'm Italian too and I asked for help in the translation some weeks ago.

        However, I had only few ansers and I'm not really convinced about the
        translation method (that would make me do a lot of work without being able
        to reuse it in the future).

        For the dataset you created, contact me, maybe we can share something.

        [ITALIAN MODE ON]
        pochi italiani purtroppo... con l'inglese me la cavo benino (lascia stare
        qui sopra che al momento completamente ubriaco) ma il vero problema è il
        metodo di traduzione dei dataset che attualmente è completamente folle
        Ho proposto di creare un database "dizionario" per tradurre le cose e
        mettere via il lavoro per poterlo riutilizzare di volta in volta e nessuno
        mi ha risposto
        scrivimi pure in pvt ;)
        [ITALIAN MODE OFF]

        2007/4/21, sirmithras <mithras@...>:

        > Sorry for the ot,
        >
        > i ask if is possible open a Yahoo PCGen Italian general discussion in
        > italian language or we must ask same type of permission to sameone?
        >
        > and if is possible create our (italian) dataset or we must traslate
        > the existing dataset?
        >
        > this is why (for exemple) i create personal dataset, but i dont
        > understand the OGL and other type of burocracy
        >
        > tnks and sorry for my poor english
        >
        > [ITALIAN MODE ON]
        > ci sono italiani con cui condividere, chiedere esperienze con il
        > programma? Se si magari in un nostro gruppo di discussione qualcuno
        > potrebbe fare da portavoce per quelli come me che non sanno
        > esprimersi bene in inglese per quanto riguarda bug e richieste su
        > sourceforge
        > [ITALIAN MODE OFF]
        > --
        > Sir Mithras

      • Ataru Moroboshi
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 21, 2007
          Alvise Nicoletti ha scritto:
          > Hi.
          >
          > I'm Italian too and I asked for help in the translation some weeks ago.
          >
          > However, I had only few ansers and I'm not really convinced about the
          > translation method (that would make me do a lot of work without being able
          > to reuse it in the future).
          >
          > For the dataset you created, contact me, maybe we can share something.
          >
          > [ITALIAN MODE ON]
          > pochi italiani purtroppo... con l'inglese me la cavo benino (lascia stare
          > qui sopra che al momento completamente ubriaco) ma il vero problema è il
          > metodo di traduzione dei dataset che attualmente è completamente folle
          > Ho proposto di creare un database "dizionario" per tradurre le cose e
          > mettere via il lavoro per poterlo riutilizzare di volta in volta e nessuno
          > mi ha risposto
          > scrivimi pure in pvt ;)
          > [ITALIAN MODE OFF]

          I have the same opionion, I can collaborate to translate in Italian the
          dataset, but _only_ if the translation
          method will be sufficiently flexible to be reused in future versions of
          PC Gen.

          Di italiano ci sono anch'io - ma condivido la stessa opinione, potrei
          cercare di trovare il tempo
          libero per collaborare a una traduzione - ma solo se il metodo di
          traduzione garantisca la
          riutilizzabilità futura della traduzione.

          Rage Your
          Dreams
        • tymophil
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007

            I am not Italian, but French. I think the best thing to do would be to
            keep posting on this forum. Because your concerns may reflect the
            concerns of other translators, such as me.

            For example, the translating method could be the same in both
            languages. There could be similar problems with sorting, number
            format, etc.

            So please, keep posting here...

            Best regards.
          • sirmithras
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
              --- In pcgen_international@yahoogroups.com, "tymophil" <tymophil@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I am not Italian, but French. I think the best thing to do would be to
              > keep posting on this forum. Because your concerns may reflect the
              > concerns of other translators, such as me.
              >
              > For example, the translating method could be the same in both
              > languages. There could be similar problems with sorting, number
              > format, etc.
              >
              > So please, keep posting here...
              >
              > Best regards.

              Hi tym,
              my discussion is OT becouse i'n not interested in traslation, i'm
              interested in develope data set, and in an ambasciator of my language
              that can write in sourceforge my request and my bug. This because my
              english is very bad, and i've find same problem to comunicate.

              i hope you undersand my spaghetti english
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                Hi all,

                It is perfectly acceptable to post in your native language on these
                boards if you are trying to discuss language specific translations.
                We only ask that you try and discuss general problems in English as
                there will be plenty of other translators and coders that will want to
                understand your problem and try to help you fix it :)

                We certainly encourage all i18n questions to go through this group.

                Karianna
                Chair Monkey - PCGen

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                  Ok, so, here we go:
                  I posted here a month ago having few responses but now I see three italian
                  guys that seems to be interested in the translation of pcgen.

                  So, risking to bother you, I propose AGAIN my previous idea to see if we can
                  get out of this.

                  A lot of translator seems to don't like the actual way of translate
                  datasets: work have to be done again and again for every new dataset, for
                  every dataset that changes, and for every tag that is added on them.
                  My idea is to:
                  1) do a SIMPLE database with a column for every language and a primary colum
                  for the english official meaning of the word.
                  2) do a SIMPLE and OPEN SOURCE php script to generate dinamycally datasets
                  taking the data from the database and the language from a given input

                  The result will be something like:
                  www.translationsite.org/dataset_number_1.php?language=italian

                  In this case, the php script will generate a dataset putting the italian
                  words into the TRANSLATED_TEXT words...

                  The code will be so easy cause with php the variables just have to be
                  anticipated by a "$" string, so the dataset will easily seems like the
                  actual datasets but with a "$" before every word that have to be translated.

                  In this way, we all will work ONCE and we will be able to generate always
                  working and new datasets in this 2 situations:
                  1) the dataset changes due to pcgen evolutions
                  2) new languages are supported or something changes somewere on the rules

                  This is the flexibility I was talking about, if you guys provide me some
                  feedback I'll do it NOW, and who wants will use it.

                  The database can be populated by some forms and scripts with no reason of
                  logins or security, and when Karianna will approve this method we will link
                  the script with the mailing list or the forum login so only members will be
                  able to edit the database.

                  I can do this today if you approve that... just give me an example
                  translated dataset with the words "TRANSLATE_HERE" where i have to
                  variabilize things and I'll show you what i have in mind ;)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007

                    I nearly finished a translation of the 3.5 Basics RSRD by using
                    a .MOD and OUTPUTNAME approach.

                    I think it would be better to use this method, perhaps coupling it
                    with your script, to produce "translating additional datasets". The
                    idea is to keep the original datasets intact, and just .MODding them
                    to add an OUTPUTNAME tag ; the value of this tag could be a variable
                    to be translated by your script.

                    If you are interested, I could provide the translating datasets so
                    you can see if you can easily put variables in place of the actual
                    translated (french) words.

                    Ludo

                    Ludovic Fierville
                    lfierville<at>gmail<dot>com

                    ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
                  • Alvise Nicoletti
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                      yes, i'm interested, let me see and i'll contact the others to decide what
                      to do.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                        Here you are, file uploaded to the pcgen_international group.

                        Please note that some of the content is originally from Philippe
                        Aubé, mainly the equipment and DESC of the spells.

                        The translation not always appear, because the OUTPUTNAME tag is not
                        always used as I hope they were.

                        Ludo

                        Le 22 avr. 07 à 16:51, Alvise Nicoletti a écrit :

                        > yes, i'm interested, let me see and i'll contact the others to
                        > decide what
                        > to do.
                      • Alvise Nicoletti
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                          Where do I have to put them to try them?

                          Do I need special versions of pcgen? I'm using the 5102

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
                            I put them together from the 5.11.13, but they should work for the
                            5.10.2 (I recommand 5.11.13 though, as some bugs concerning UTF-8
                            files are corrected in it).

                            Just unzip the folder in your data folder then look for "DRS (v3.5)
                            Système de base" in RSRD / PARTIAL (3.5 gamemode).

                            Note that I have concatenated all the "equip" files in a unique file.