[From PCGen List] Java Version for PCGen

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 20, 2009
      Kar posted an item on the main list about requirements, and I believe we had a discussion on the old -devel list about this... so this may be a good time & place to revisit this.

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
      > * PCGen 5.10.0 (and above) needs to run under Java 1.5.x (or above).

      At this point, Java 1.5 is going "end of support" in October.

      So, what do we do?

      Should we step to Java 1.6? I don't think it makes a lot of difference to the core, but I know 1.6 has some changes in the UI packages that might make a difference.

      Thoughts?

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 21, 2009
        I say we go for it, it certainly has some UI improvements that would assist Connor in his UI overhaul efforts.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 21, 2009
          I seem to recall the biggest pinch point being on the Mac side. I'm unsure when they stepped up to 1.6, but if it was too recently, it could leave lots of folks "out in the cold"

          TP.

          --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

          > I say we go for it, it certainly has some UI improvements that would assist Connor in his UI overhaul efforts.

        • Eric C. Smith
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 21, 2009
            Hi Folks!

            Mac OSX 10.5 added Java 1.6 while 10.4 is limited to 1.5.

            Maredudd

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 21, 2009
              I'll post a poll to see how many 10.4 users there are.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 21, 2009
                So October 2007... which I guess still concerns me. Unless people bought OS upgrades, a very large chunk of the Mac population can't run 1.6 based code.

                thpr@... and tppublic@...

                Tom wrote:

                > I seem to recall the biggest pinch point being on the Mac side.  I'm unsure when they stepped up to 1.6, but if it was too recently, it could leave lots of folks "out in the cold"
                >
                > TP.
                >
                > --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I say we go for it, it certainly has some UI improvements that would assist Connor in his UI overhaul efforts.

                    mailto:pcgen_developers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:pcgen_developers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 21, 2009
                  That's correct Tom. The situation sucks but Apple has tied it's Java
                  implementation to the OS so that the latest OS is needed to run the
                  latest Java version. The current OS, 10.5 is required to run Java 6. The
                  last OS, 10.4 (Tiger) is stuck with Java 5 and 10.3 can only run Java 4.
                  To compound the situation 10.5 will not run on older Macs like G4s,
                  although to be honest running PCGen on an 8 year old G4 is sometimes
                  like riding a dead horse, if you beat it hard enough it might move
                  (exaggerated for humor).

                  In my personal opinion if the code team feels Java 6 offers worthy
                  improvements we should move ahead.

                  Tom Parker wrote:
                  > I seem to recall the biggest pinch point being on the Mac side. I'm unsure when they stepped up to 1.6, but if it was too recently, it could leave lots of folks "out in the cold"
                  >
                  > TP.
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> I say we go for it, it certainly has some UI improvements that would assist Connor in his UI overhaul efforts.

                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Board of Directors
                  ~ Content Silverback, Chair Second
                • maredudd@blackroot.org
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 21, 2009
                    Hi Folks!

                    Pardon me for saying so but the poll as worded is insufficient. I do not use 10.4 exclusively but I do have a machine, my primary machine in fact, that is not capable of running 10.5.

                    Maredudd

                    I'll post a poll to see how many 10.4 users there are.K>
                  • Eric C. Smith
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 21, 2009
                      Hi Folks!

                      Eddy wrote:

                      > That's correct Tom. The situation sucks but Apple has tied it's Java
                      > implementation to the OS so that the latest OS is needed to run the
                      > latest Java version. The current OS, 10.5 is required to run Java 6. The
                      > last OS, 10.4 (Tiger) is stuck with Java 5 and 10.3 can only run Java 4.
                      > To compound the situation 10.5 will not run on older Macs like G4s,

                      Yep. Thats the situation I'm in. My primary machine is a Mac Mini
                      running a 1.43 GHz G4. Its a bit faster than riding a dead horse
                      though . . . quite a bit . . . :-)

                      > although to be honest running PCGen on an 8 year old G4 is sometimes
                      > like riding a dead horse, if you beat it hard enough it might move
                      > (exaggerated for humor).
                      >
                      > In my personal opinion if the code team feels Java 6 offers worthy
                      > improvements we should move ahead.

                      I do have two G5 boxes but one os set up as my multimedia machine
                      and the other has significant reliability problems and I'm not ready to
                      move to if for my day-to-day activities. And I'm not in a position to
                      buy a new Intel Mac . . . though later this year I do plan on hacking
                      my Acer Netbook and installing Mac OSX on it . . . :-)

                      Maredudd
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 21, 2009
                        maredudd@... wrote:

                        > Hi Folks!
                        >
                        > Pardon me for saying so but the poll as worded is insufficient. I
                        do
                        > not use 10.4 exclusively but I do have a machine, my primary
                        machine
                        > in fact, that is not capable of running 10.5.

                        I agree, when I saw the poll I did not understand the thrust or intent. I think it should be reworded with what the intent is...

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 22, 2009
                          New question posted and poll deleted. - K