Re: [pcgen_developers] Re: Evaluation for OS replacement by a third party product...

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2009

      James Dempsey wrote:
      Hi,

      2009/7/17 Tom Parker <thpr@...>:

      --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

      [Velocity vs. FreeMarker]
      But what do our current Code Monkeys think?

      I would like to see demonstrable facts to distinguish the two, both from each other and from our current system.  I am hesitant to support any transition without that due diligence.

      I've had a look at both in the past and have used velocity for a few
      different work projects. What we gain over our current OS tokens is a
      sane processing structure - FOR loops etc and the opportunity to take
      out some nasty code from our code base once the transition is
      completed. It would be a big transition though, so not to be taken
      lightly.

      As for freemarker vs velocity, both are widely used, probably more use
      velocity, but freemarker gives the better feature set for our rather
      complex problem domain.

      Based on that nice assessment, I'd rather go with FreeMarker. I'd rather not be digging for patches when the other tool comes with it already. :)

      Any other coders want to chime in?