Re: [pcgen_developers] Tracking System for new site

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 17 11:05 AM
      I would add, JIRA and trac also integrate with Eclipse:
      http://www.eclipse.org/mylyn/

      thpr@... and tppublic@...

      From: Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...>
      Subject: [pcgen_developers] Tracking System for new site
      To: "pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com" <pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, July 17, 2009, 1:50 PM

      Hi Developers,

      I'm posting this here since Tom has made mention of Tracking items...

      I've researched a few candidates that are free open source solutions -
      Mantis, Trac and Redmine. (Sorry JIRA is not a free source item) Two
      others upon review have either gone to non-open source or aren't what we
      are looking for (Requires a program download).

      My Favorite in review is Mantis, however I've listed several others that
      are open source and would like opinions on what offerings you require,
      request, would like, would be nice to have, etc.

      Mantis
      http://www.mantisbt.org/
      Detailed features here -
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_Bugtracker

      Trac
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trac
      http://trac.edgewall.org/

      Redmine
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redmine
      http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/issues
      (Sample of what it looks like and how it works)

      The interfaces are all different, but all seem to be comparable to each
      other. Trac and Redmine don't use any color coding at all, Mantis color
      codes are based on progress in cycle.

      Trac and Redmine have the ability to add filter options on the fly.
      Mantis has them all displayed, but requires a separate page to set a new
      filter scheme.

      Overall, I think it will boil down to functionality and which one
      everyone finds the easiest to work with.

          mailto:pcgen_developers-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:pcgen_developers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 17 11:06 AM
        Can we ask what the two are that you eliminated?  Was bugzilla considered (not that I'm a fan, but...)

        thpr@... and tppublic@...

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 17 12:08 PM
          I apologize for spamming the list here with comments - things just keep coming to mind on this issue... like the output sheet issue I suspect this isn't a discussion that can resolve quickly.  But we can try :)

          Let me add a few thoughts here on requirements.

          I would like to have issue voting.  We need to have community involvement to tell us what is desired first of our 500ish FREQs.

          Mantis doesn't have this: http://www.mantisbt.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7157
          trac can do it with a plugin: http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/VotePlugin
          Redmine can do this: http://www.redmine.org/boards/3/topics/5506
          JIRA can do this: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/v3.13/voterswatchers.html
          Bugzilla can do this: http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.22/html/voting.html

          I would like something that can identify and link dependent issues.

          I can't find this in the Mantis feature set, though theoretically we could write this ourselves (but I don't want us to have to do that because it's yet more code we have to support)
          trac still doesn't have it: http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/31
          JIRA can: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/v3.13.4/linking.html
          Redmine I can't find this stated as stable (just a 2 year old partially working patch)
          Bugzilla can do this: http://www-archive.mozilla.org/bugs/

          From some simple searches (I haven't heard of it before), I have concerns about the scope of Redmine and its level of documentation (seems limited)

          It would be good to think through is we want/need to customize the life cycle of a bug.  Currently SF allows open, closed, pending, and deleted.  I think we would at least want unconfirmed for bugs and potentially others.  I bring this up because I know it's a weakness in Bugzilla: http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.22/html/lifecycle.html

          There may also be other issues, e.g. do we want to force an answer to a question of whether Doc FREQ, Prettylst FREQ, etc. are required when a Code FREQ is completed (or a certain type of Code FREQ).  This will then place dependency on the extendability, scriptability or API of the underlying application.

          thpr@... and tppublic@...

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 17 12:49 PM
            Hm, I can't break in your text to respond inline...

            Sure, the exclusion was the Sourceforge clone SharpForge which was taken over and is no longer free.  And MindQuarry (Required download of software to use)

            I didn't consider Bugzilla as the quick look didn't seem to have the support features we were initially looking. I was trying not to have a huge list for everyone to wade through.

            I was looking at JIRA and I think that would be the best bet as far as feature... Does it support everything you would need Tom?

            thpr@... and tppublic@comcast. net

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/pcgen_ developers/ join

                http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 17 1:01 PM
              Well, those are very positive since I know eclipse is the main developer tool we are using currently.

              I'm leaning with JIRA as it seems more stable, the others have a less than polished feel to me IMHO.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 17 1:10 PM
                Found the blasted setting keeping me from replying inline... :) Replies
                in line...

                Tom Parker wrote:
                > I apologize for spamming the list here with comments - things just keep coming to mind on this issue... like the output sheet issue I suspect this isn't a discussion that can resolve quickly. But we can try :)

                Yeah, I hope to resolve this and that as quickly as possible.
                > Let me add a few thoughts here on requirements.
                >
                > I would like to have issue voting. We need to have community involvement to tell us what is desired first of our 500ish FREQs.

                Sounds good
                > Mantis doesn't have this: http://www.mantisbt.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7157
                > trac can do it with a plugin: http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/VotePlugin
                > Redmine can do this: http://www.redmine.org/boards/3/topics/5506
                > JIRA can do this: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/v3.13/voterswatchers.html
                > Bugzilla can do this: http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.22/html/voting.html

                +1 JIRA!
                > I would like something that can identify and link dependent issues.
                >
                > I can't find this in the Mantis feature set, though theoretically we could write this ourselves (but I don't want us to have to do that because it's yet more code we have to support)
                > trac still doesn't have it: http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/31
                > JIRA can: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/v3.13.4/linking.html
                > Redmine I can't find this stated as stable (just a 2 year old partially working patch)
                > Bugzilla can do this: http://www-archive.mozilla.org/bugs/

                +1 JIRA again!

                > >From some simple searches (I haven't heard of it before), I have concerns about the scope of Redmine and its level of documentation (seems limited)

                Yes, I did a quick search for open source and I got a list of about
                eight candidates... Redmine does seem young...

                > It would be good to think through is we want/need to customize the life cycle of a bug. Currently SF allows open, closed, pending, and deleted. I think we would at least want unconfirmed for bugs and potentially others. I bring this up because I know it's a weakness in Bugzilla: http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.22/html/lifecycle.html

                JIRA seems to have a default but say they are also customizable.

                http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/workflow.jsp
                > There may also be other issues, e.g. do we want to force an answer to a question of whether Doc FREQ, Prettylst FREQ, etc. are required when a Code FREQ is completed (or a certain type of Code FREQ). This will then place dependency on the extendability, scriptability or API of the underlying application.

                That is also a feature in JIRA. And can be changed administratively.
                I've been doing the feature tour... quite a bit in there.

                So far, JIRA looks like the best contender in the arena for our needs...

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 17 1:28 PM
                  A few other comments:
                  trac and Mantis are available as hosted apps on SourceForge

                  Since all of these are something we can install and test, we should reduce this to (preferably) 2 or (maybe) 3 options and push their features to see what we think.

                  We should also look at the difficulty in exporting/importing from the SourceForge XML export format since we don't want to lose our existing trackers (None of the tools seemed exactly incapable of this, it was just a matter of difficulty)

                  thpr@... and tppublic@...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 17 1:31 PM
                    Tom Parker wrote:
                    > A few other comments:
                    > trac and Mantis are available as hosted apps on SourceForge
                    >
                    > Since all of these are something we can install and test, we should reduce this to (preferably) 2 or (maybe) 3 options and push their features to see what we think.
                    >
                    > We should also look at the difficulty in exporting/importing from the SourceForge XML export format since we don't want to lose our existing trackers (None of the tools seemed exactly incapable of this, it was just a matter of difficulty)

                    I can do an install, need to monitor our webspace storage use though. Looking at JIRA some of the features are present in the standard edition, which is what I think we would get if we get the Non-profit Free Version.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 17 1:38 PM
                      Andrew Maitland wrote:
                      > Tom Parker wrote:
                      >> A few other comments:
                      >> trac and Mantis are available as hosted apps on SourceForge
                      >>
                      >> Since all of these are something we can install and test, we should reduce this to (preferably) 2 or (maybe) 3 options and push their features to see what we think.
                      >>
                      >> We should also look at the difficulty in exporting/importing from the SourceForge XML export format since we don't want to lose our existing trackers (None of the tools seemed exactly incapable of this, it was just a matter of difficulty)
                      >>

                      > I can do an install, need to monitor our webspace storage use though. Looking at JIRA some of the features are present in the standard edition, which is what I think we would get if we get the Non-profit Free Version.
                      >> TP.
                      >> --
                      >>
                      >> Tom Parker
                      >>
                      >> thpr@... and tppublic@...

                      Enabled them - they should be up and running shortly.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 17 1:40 PM
                        Once they are active, please insert OVERT comments into them somehow so users don't think we are actually using them for production!

                        thpr@... and tppublic@...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 17 1:42 PM
                          Tom Parker wrote:
                          > Once they are active, please insert OVERT comments into them somehow so users don't think we are actually using them for production!

                          No problem.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 17 2:53 PM
                            Folks,

                            I got both TRAC and MANTIS setup. Access via HostedApps pull down menu.

                            I'm initially disappointed with Trac. The Admin interface is missing so I can't customize it at all.

                            Mantis is much nicer, I've fiddled a little with it. Feel free to mess around and get a feel. I suspect the Admins of the Project will be automatically Admins on the Mantis. If not let me know and I'll get you admin'd so you can play with the settings too.

                            Both have a Big Note telling users that they are not for general use.

                            -Andrew

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 17 4:30 PM
                              While we're mentioning features taht we'd like to see, can I
                              mention that I'd like to see a tool that allows proper editing
                              of things that are posted to the tracker. The immutability
                              of the sourceforge trackers drives me mad. Someone
                              posts a badly formatted tracker and you're stuck with it.
                              And stuff copied between trackers looks abysmal.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 20 1:47 AM
                                As an aside, the other OS project I'm heavily involved with evaluated Trac on SF and found it to be better than SF Tracker but inferior to JIRA, we moved to JIRA pretty quickly after that.

                                SF hosted apps tend to have the problem of having most features disabled with no way of you enabling them :(.