Re: [FREQ] Seperate name Generator

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2010
      I would've thought reasonably possible as the GMGen does name generation as a plugin?

      --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

      > How feasible would it to separate out the code for the random names and make a low memory prog that uses our name sets to create random names? I constantly use PCGen to generate names, but on my elderly laptop that has 512mb of memory loading PCGen plus anything else I'm running slows it down to a crawl.

    • Per Christian Henden
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
        This is something I'm interested in as well. In my case I would like to
        generate a list of names.
        Something like $> myprogram NAMESET1,NAMESET2 count
        to randomly generate <count> number of names from the two mentioned name sets.
        Or just from all name sets. By 'name sets' I mean the different files PCGen has
        for generating names.

        I'd like to work on this.
        Does anyone else have additional feature requests to such a program generating
        a bunch of random names (to use for NPCs or filter for a suitable single name
        for your character) ?

        Technically I'm thinking of just adding a new class with a main method that
        can be executed using java -jar pcgen.jar <my main class>

        PC:

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
          Hi Per,

          That sounds like a good approach to me.

          Something that might be helpful to this task: I've been playing around
          with the Commons CLI package http://commons.apache.org/cli/ recently
          and have been pretty impressed. It seems like a simple way to add
          command line support to a class and in the process cover usage help and
          validation. It is something I am going to look at adding to the main
          program sometime soon as a first step in improving the command line there.

          On 27/03/2010 9:37 PM Per Christian Henden wrote
          > This is something I'm interested in as well. In my case I would like to
          > generate a list of names.
          > Something like $> myprogram NAMESET1,NAMESET2 count
          > to randomly generate <count> number of names from the two mentioned name sets.
          > Or just from all name sets. By 'name sets' I mean the different files PCGen has
          > for generating names.
          >
          > I'd like to work on this.
          > Does anyone else have additional feature requests to such a program generating
          > a bunch of random names (to use for NPCs or filter for a suitable single name
          > for your character) ?
          >
          > Technically I'm thinking of just adding a new class with a main method that
          > can be executed using java -jar pcgen.jar <my main class>
          >
          > PC:
          >
          > On Tuesday 23. March 2010 10.32.02 you wrote:
          >
          >> I would've thought reasonably possible as the GMGen does name generation as
          >> a plugin?

          >> --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> How feasible would it to separate out the code for the random names and
          >>> make a low memory prog that uses our name sets to create random names? I
          >>> constantly use PCGen to generate names, but on my elderly laptop that has
          >>> 512mb of memory loading PCGen plus anything else I'm running slows it
          >>> down to a crawl.

        • Per Christian Henden
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
            I've checked in the first version. I didn't find a way to execute a different
            main-class than the one declared in the jar manifest. I think I've seen that
            done at work, so hopefully it is possible, and I'll find out how soon :)

            Using Commons CLI for pcgen main, what would the different options be?
            java -jar pcgen.jar start pcgen | start gmgen | namegen orc 100 ?

            PC:

            On Saturday 27. March 2010 12.27.13 you wrote:
            > Hi Per,
            >
            > That sounds like a good approach to me.
            >
            > Something that might be helpful to this task: I've been playing around
            > with the Commons CLI package http://commons.apache.org/cli/ recently
            > and have been pretty impressed. It seems like a simple way to add
            > command line support to a class and in the process cover usage help and
            > validation. It is something I am going to look at adding to the main
            > program sometime soon as a first step in improving the command line there.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > James Dempsey
            > PCGen Code SB
            >
            > On 27/03/2010 9:37 PM Per Christian Henden wrote
            >
            > > This is something I'm interested in as well. In my case I would like to
            > > generate a list of names.
            > > Something like $> myprogram NAMESET1,NAMESET2 count
            > > to randomly generate <count> number of names from the two mentioned name
            > > sets. Or just from all name sets. By 'name sets' I mean the different
            > > files PCGen has for generating names.
            > >
            > > I'd like to work on this.
            > > Does anyone else have additional feature requests to such a program
            > > generating a bunch of random names (to use for NPCs or filter for a
            > > suitable single name for your character) ?
            > >
            > > Technically I'm thinking of just adding a new class with a main method
            > > that can be executed using java -jar pcgen.jar <my main class>
            > >
            > > PC:
            > >
            > > On Tuesday 23. March 2010 10.32.02 you wrote:
            > >> I would've thought reasonably possible as the GMGen does name generation
            > >> as a plugin?

          • Per Christian Henden
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
              And a quick workaround for the class path issues (on *nix or cygwin, for test
              purposes):

              cd pcgen-root
              for jarfile in $(find lib -name "*.jar"); do FIRK=$FIRK:$jarfile; done
              java -cp code/build/classes$FIRK pcgen.core.Names orc 100

              PC:

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
                Hi Per,

                Happy to see you working on this! :)

                The tracker that you're pretty much working on is this one:

                http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1280974&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                I have assigned this to you.

                Trackers associated with the Random Name Generator:

                Please assign yourself to these if it falls inside the work that you're doing :)

                http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1894327&group_id=25576&atid=627102 - Missing data

                http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2919622&group_id=25576&atid=627102 - Gothic Names issue

                http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1298181&group_id=25576&atid=384722 - Filter by game mode

                http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1750803&group_id=25576&atid=384722 - Dragonlords data

                Thanks!

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
                  On Sunday 28. March 2010 23.06.44 you wrote:
                  > I've checked in the first version. I didn't find a way to execute a
                  > different main-class than the one declared in the jar manifest. I think
                  > I've seen that done at work, so hopefully it is possible, and I'll find
                  > out how soon :)
                  There is one way, to include the jarfile in question on the classpath and
                  reference the main class directly:

                  java -cp
                  pcgen.jar:lib/apache/*:lib/fop/*:lib/lnf/*:lib/jep/*:lib/cobra/*:lib/spring/*
                  pcgen.core.Names orc 100

                  This isn't immediately useful in this case, but I thought I'd mention it
                  because I said I would :)

                  PC: