[FREQ] Seperate name Generator

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2010
      How feasible would it to separate out the code for the random names and make a low memory prog that uses our name sets to create random names? I constantly use PCGen to generate names, but on my elderly laptop that has 512mb of memory loading PCGen plus anything else I'm running slows it down to a crawl.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2010
        I would've thought reasonably possible as the GMGen does name generation as a plugin?

        --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

        > How feasible would it to separate out the code for the random names and make a low memory prog that uses our name sets to create random names? I constantly use PCGen to generate names, but on my elderly laptop that has 512mb of memory loading PCGen plus anything else I'm running slows it down to a crawl.

      • Per Christian Henden
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
          This is something I'm interested in as well. In my case I would like to
          generate a list of names.
          Something like $> myprogram NAMESET1,NAMESET2 count
          to randomly generate <count> number of names from the two mentioned name sets.
          Or just from all name sets. By 'name sets' I mean the different files PCGen has
          for generating names.

          I'd like to work on this.
          Does anyone else have additional feature requests to such a program generating
          a bunch of random names (to use for NPCs or filter for a suitable single name
          for your character) ?

          Technically I'm thinking of just adding a new class with a main method that
          can be executed using java -jar pcgen.jar <my main class>

          PC:

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
            Hi Per,

            That sounds like a good approach to me.

            Something that might be helpful to this task: I've been playing around
            with the Commons CLI package http://commons.apache.org/cli/ recently
            and have been pretty impressed. It seems like a simple way to add
            command line support to a class and in the process cover usage help and
            validation. It is something I am going to look at adding to the main
            program sometime soon as a first step in improving the command line there.

            On 27/03/2010 9:37 PM Per Christian Henden wrote
            > This is something I'm interested in as well. In my case I would like to
            > generate a list of names.
            > Something like $> myprogram NAMESET1,NAMESET2 count
            > to randomly generate <count> number of names from the two mentioned name sets.
            > Or just from all name sets. By 'name sets' I mean the different files PCGen has
            > for generating names.
            >
            > I'd like to work on this.
            > Does anyone else have additional feature requests to such a program generating
            > a bunch of random names (to use for NPCs or filter for a suitable single name
            > for your character) ?
            >
            > Technically I'm thinking of just adding a new class with a main method that
            > can be executed using java -jar pcgen.jar <my main class>
            >
            > PC:
            >
            > On Tuesday 23. March 2010 10.32.02 you wrote:
            >
            >> I would've thought reasonably possible as the GMGen does name generation as
            >> a plugin?

            >> --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> How feasible would it to separate out the code for the random names and
            >>> make a low memory prog that uses our name sets to create random names? I
            >>> constantly use PCGen to generate names, but on my elderly laptop that has
            >>> 512mb of memory loading PCGen plus anything else I'm running slows it
            >>> down to a crawl.

          • Per Christian Henden
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
              I've checked in the first version. I didn't find a way to execute a different
              main-class than the one declared in the jar manifest. I think I've seen that
              done at work, so hopefully it is possible, and I'll find out how soon :)

              Using Commons CLI for pcgen main, what would the different options be?
              java -jar pcgen.jar start pcgen | start gmgen | namegen orc 100 ?

              PC:

              On Saturday 27. March 2010 12.27.13 you wrote:
              > Hi Per,
              >
              > That sounds like a good approach to me.
              >
              > Something that might be helpful to this task: I've been playing around
              > with the Commons CLI package http://commons.apache.org/cli/ recently
              > and have been pretty impressed. It seems like a simple way to add
              > command line support to a class and in the process cover usage help and
              > validation. It is something I am going to look at adding to the main
              > program sometime soon as a first step in improving the command line there.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James Dempsey
              > PCGen Code SB
              >
              > On 27/03/2010 9:37 PM Per Christian Henden wrote
              >
              > > This is something I'm interested in as well. In my case I would like to
              > > generate a list of names.
              > > Something like $> myprogram NAMESET1,NAMESET2 count
              > > to randomly generate <count> number of names from the two mentioned name
              > > sets. Or just from all name sets. By 'name sets' I mean the different
              > > files PCGen has for generating names.
              > >
              > > I'd like to work on this.
              > > Does anyone else have additional feature requests to such a program
              > > generating a bunch of random names (to use for NPCs or filter for a
              > > suitable single name for your character) ?
              > >
              > > Technically I'm thinking of just adding a new class with a main method
              > > that can be executed using java -jar pcgen.jar <my main class>
              > >
              > > PC:
              > >
              > > On Tuesday 23. March 2010 10.32.02 you wrote:
              > >> I would've thought reasonably possible as the GMGen does name generation
              > >> as a plugin?

            • Per Christian Henden
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
                And a quick workaround for the class path issues (on *nix or cygwin, for test
                purposes):

                cd pcgen-root
                for jarfile in $(find lib -name "*.jar"); do FIRK=$FIRK:$jarfile; done
                java -cp code/build/classes$FIRK pcgen.core.Names orc 100

                PC:

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
                  Hi Per,

                  Happy to see you working on this! :)

                  The tracker that you're pretty much working on is this one:

                  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1280974&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                  I have assigned this to you.

                  Trackers associated with the Random Name Generator:

                  Please assign yourself to these if it falls inside the work that you're doing :)

                  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1894327&group_id=25576&atid=627102 - Missing data

                  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2919622&group_id=25576&atid=627102 - Gothic Names issue

                  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1298181&group_id=25576&atid=384722 - Filter by game mode

                  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1750803&group_id=25576&atid=384722 - Dragonlords data

                  Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
                    On Sunday 28. March 2010 23.06.44 you wrote:
                    > I've checked in the first version. I didn't find a way to execute a
                    > different main-class than the one declared in the jar manifest. I think
                    > I've seen that done at work, so hopefully it is possible, and I'll find
                    > out how soon :)
                    There is one way, to include the jarfile in question on the classpath and
                    reference the main class directly:

                    java -cp
                    pcgen.jar:lib/apache/*:lib/fop/*:lib/lnf/*:lib/jep/*:lib/cobra/*:lib/spring/*
                    pcgen.core.Names orc 100

                    This isn't immediately useful in this case, but I thought I'd mention it
                    because I said I would :)

                    PC: